Wedding Etiquette Forum

Eloping Etiquette Advice - When to tell your family

Hi there! My fiancé and I are eloping very soon. We booked a week vacation to go away and get married.

When is the appropriate time to tell our family that we got married? Should we be calling them from our vacation or wait until we return? Over the phone, in person (or dare I say text lol)? I imagine this is different for every couple but I wanted to know if there is a rule of thumb in case we are totally missing something.

How did your family react after you told them?

After being together for over 11 years and being engaged for over 3 years, we finally got hitched!

Re: Eloping Etiquette Advice - When to tell your family

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Why would you not tell them beforehand? You fear their reaction? What do you think it would be? Texting is a cop out and incredibly rude. Then again, I'd fine not telling family beforehand to be rather rude too. I know the definition is to do it secretly...but it just baffles me why someone would feel the need to do it with such secrecy.
  • I didn't elope, but one of my best friends did. 

They didn't go away, but they did take the whole day together to get married, take some beautiful photos, and then they called close friends and family the next day saying "hey, we got married on Friday!" We live close enough and see each other often enough that we probably could have gotten together and been told in person, but I didn't mind that she just called. I was a little bummed that I didn't get to see them get married - but I was still overjoyed for them and it didn't matter. 

Once they got the photos back, they ordered and sent wedding announcement postcards to everyone that would have gotten an invite to their wedding (if they had one). 

Pretty positive reactions all around, but they both had been married before (short marriages for both of them) and had big weddings the first go-round. 

I think you'd be golden if you wait until you get back - spend the time enjoying your trip!
  • Hi there! My fiancé and I are eloping very soon. We booked a week vacation to go away and get married.

When is the appropriate time to tell our family that we got married? Should we be calling them from our vacation or wait until we return? Over the phone, in person (or dare I say text lol)? I imagine this is different for every couple but I wanted to know if there is a rule of thumb in case we are totally missing something.

How did your family react after you told them?

If you are truly eloping, you go away and get married without telling anyone beforehand. Is that what you want to do. I definitely wouldn't text your parents that you got married, but I guess it depends how close you are with them. I think either calling or doing it in person is fine. 

If you want to tell them beforehand, then you're not really eloping but having a private ceremony,

@mlg78 it's not rude to not tell your family that you're getting married. I wouldn't do it, but everyone's family dynamics are different. Maybe she has too many meddling parents, and doesn't want to deal with it. 

• mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I'm aware of that. That's why I inquired the reasoning as to why they don't want to tell. I know my mom would be devastated if I did it and didn't tell her because she would at least want to be involved with dress shopping or something...
  • PLEASE don't tell them over text. Unless your family isn't involved in your life at all, or you have some really good reason to do it secretly, I would let your immediate family know beforehand to avoid hurt feelings. For more distant family, you can mail a wedding announcement card afterward.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• mlg78 said:

I'm aware of that. That's why I inquired the reasoning as to why they don't want to tell. I know my mom would be devastated if I did it and didn't tell her because she would at least want to be involved with dress shopping or something...

Then it isn't eloping!   

I do agree with you though that if you're going to elope it can hurt feelings.   We planned our wedding the way we did for a reason and I wanted our families there.   But  it's not really nice to plan the wedding and tell people in advance that they're not welcome either. 
  • My previous boss eloped.  Before she left she left for her vacation/elopement she went to a florist and ordered two arrangements for their parents and included a hand written card to let them know of their marriage.  She had them delivered the day they got married.

Eloping is not rude.  Not telling your parents before hand is not rude.  Is it a possibility that they could be upset because they didn't know?  Yes, but as an adult you are free to make your own decisions and they will just need to get over it.
    This, I think, is the ultimate question you have to ask yourself and it's going to depend entirely on your family dynamics. My immediate family would probably be upset they missed it but, at the same time, not at all surprised that was the choice I made so they'd quickly get over it because YAY! MARRIED! 

How you tell them, again, comes down to family dynamics. That being said, texting sounds like a horrible way to let them know unless you have absolutely no interaction with them at all and you're just telling them out of some sense of obligation. 

• redoryx said:

My previous boss eloped.  Before she left she left for her vacation/elopement she went to a florist and ordered two arrangements for their parents and included a hand written card to let them know of their marriage.  She had them delivered the day they got married.

Eloping is not rude.  Not telling your parents before hand is not rude.  Is it a possibility that they could be upset because they didn't know?  Yes, but as an adult you are free to make your own decisions and they will just need to get over it.
    This, I think, is the ultimate question you have to ask yourself and it's going to depend entirely on your family dynamics. My immediate family would probably be upset they missed it but, at the same time, not at all surprised that was the choice I made so they'd quickly get over it because YAY! MARRIED! 

How you tell them, again, comes down to family dynamics. That being said, texting sounds like a horrible way to let them know unless you have absolutely no interaction with them at all and you're just telling them out of some sense of obligation. 

And just to add to this.  So you tell your family before hand that you and your FI are going to go off and get married.  For me, I am not sure how telling them will make things any better.  You are basically saying "hey we are going to go and get married while we are on vacation.  oh and you aren't invited."  So yeah you are removing the surprise but if your family is going to be hurt that you went off and got married without telling them then they will most likely be hurt that you didn't invite them to witness it too.

• Please, please, please don't tell your family over text message (or social media).  Important news to important people deserves more respect than that.  Texting is for "Hey, can you stop and get a bag of ice on your way over?"  Not for announcing your marriage.

If you're getting married on day one of a seven day vacation, and you think your immediately family (parents, siblings) will be upset you waited six more days to tell them, then give them a call from your vacation.  (I probably wouldn't do this if they are inclined to use social media to blab the news to people you wanted to tell personally though.)  Otherwise, it can wait until you get home to do it in person if they live close enough.  Everyone else, call when you get back and/or mail out announcements within a day or two of getting back from your vacation.
  • There's no etiquette about when to tell. Your closest family deserves at least a phone call if you don't tell them in person. You can send out an announcement to extended family if you want. 

This is just about your family and your relationship with them. I think most parents would be hurt to not hear about it ahead of time, but you know your family. 
  • If you tell them beforehand they also might feel they have a chance to convince you not to elope. There's that.

It's not rude to elope! Make sure to call or tell everyone close in person, then send out announcements to everyone!

Congrats!! :D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I eloped. There is no right or wrong answer here. No one can tell you when the right time to tell YOUR family and friends is. It depends on your relationship with them. It's probably reasonable to tell them after you get back from your vacation, but in my case, I waited a whole month to tell my dad. It's just the type of relationship I have with him. Most people found out I got married when my photog tagged me on Facebook in the photos she took of our wedding. But, you know what? Everyone was so happy for us. They accepted our choice and understood our decision. I did not send out announcements, as I did not want to make a bg deaI that we chose to marry. I will say that it was our second marriage, so that may make things different.

• If you end up staggering when you tell people, I would highly recommend locking down your Facebook notifications and maybe temporarily disabling your wall, so someone can't tag you in something.  Obviously, people can still find out if your mom posts, "Billy and Jenny just got married!", but it would just be people who she is friends with versus everyone you're friends with too. 

We've had immediate family spill the beans on Facebook for our engagement and the sex of our child before we even finished telling our nearest and dearest in-person or on the phone.  So beware. :)
  • My vote is to tell your families when you get back in person if possible. That way you can share the excitement with them.

• If it were me, I would call my family as soon as I got back from the trip. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I would probably tell the people I'm closest too in person when I got back or make phone calls if I couldn't see them in person, then I'd just let it spread through the grapevine.

But like PPs have said, there's no right or wrong answer.

• Traditionally, in the old days, a marriage was announced with a telegram, sent on the day of the ceremony.  Telegrams were used for very important announcements that couldn't wait for regular mail, such as weddings, births and deaths.
    Today technology has changed, aand the telephone is the usual method of communication for very close family.  The call should be made on the day of the ceremony.  Other relatives and friends are notified with marriage announcements sent in the mail.  They are very brief.

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date
    City, State or Country

There have been many true elopements in my family.  Some were greeted with joy, and others not so much.  You are not responsible for how other people react to your elopement.  You have the right to choose how you are married.

I agree with the other posters.  DO NOT use social media (Facebook, e-mails, etc.) to announce your maqrriage.  It is very tacky.

No other information should be included.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • CMGragain said:

Traditionally, in the old days, a marriage was announced with a telegram, sent on the day of the ceremony.  Telegrams were used for very important announcements that couldn't wait for regular mail, such as weddings, births and deaths.
    Today technology has changed, aand the telephone is the usual method of communication for very close family.  The call should be made on the day of the ceremony.  Other relatives and friends are notified with marriage announcements sent in the mail.  They are very brief.

Bride's Full Name
    and
    Groom's Full Name
    announce their marriage
    Date
    City, State or Country

There have been many true elopements in my family.  Some were greeted with joy, and others not so much.  You are not responsible for how other people react to your elopement.  You have the right to choose how you are married.

I agree with the other posters.  DO NOT use social media (Facebook, e-mails, etc.) to announce your maqrriage.  It is very tacky.

No other information should be included.

Honest curiosity, can you send telegrams still today?
  • I really don't know.  I last sent one in 1975.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • What the hell? Eloping is absolutely not rude. In regards to when you should tell your family, it really depends on your relationship with them. I would probably call my mom while we were still on vacation, but I don't think that there is anything wrong with waiting until you get back.
  • I mean, no matter the method or time you're telling them that you don't you don't like them enough to want them at the formation of your union and new life, or even in the same state, so what does the medium matter?
  • I mean, no matter the method or time you're telling them that you don't you don't like them enough to want them at the formation of your union and new life, or even in the same state, so what does the medium matter?

Hahaha, nope. So not true. I've talked to my mom about the potential of eloping and she's all for it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards