Not Engaged Yet
Options

Tuesday Teetotalors

2»

Re: Tuesday Teetotalors

• Options
    Not sure if anyone mentioned (sorry quick skimming today), but because I'm a Prohibition nerd, Prohibition ended December 5, 1933.  It is national beer day though, and there's always a reason to celebrate booze!

What's your go to drink of choice? 
    Beer- lager
     Wine - Riesling
     Liquor- vodka cran or jack & ginger. And when I'm feeling classy, disarrono straight.

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? 
    I could easily give up beer.  I'd have more of a struggle with wine or liquor. If I only could choose one to drink, liquor. 

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they?
    I live in Pennsylvania, there's a long list of ridiculous laws.  For starters, liquor and wine are not available in grocery stores. Stores that have beer, you're limited to 2 purchases.  Liquor stores are not open Sundays.  Beer distributors can only sell by a case.

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)!
    Hold on, let me check my pinterest haha:
    I want to make this:
    Red Wine Hot Chocolate

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices?
    Dry wedding that is well hosted.  
  • Options

@TwoDimes augh, yes. Very few weddings DON'T have the dollar dance. You can bet a dollar, lol, that I will not be having one. I HATE the dollar dance and now $1 isn't good enough, people go up there with $20's sometimes. the whole thing is tacky and used to be short but it seems much longer now. There are two things I make sure of before I leave the house to attend a wedding 1-Do I have the gift? 2-Did I take out enough cash?

It doesn't even matter if they are small or large, posh weddings, everyone has to show the money and I am not in Ely way up north with a population of 5 1/2, I am in the Twin cities.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers'> 
  • Options
    lilacck28lilacck28 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    What's your go to drink of choice?
    Mimosas! Or Vodka Cranberry/ Seabreeze or Hard Cider (I LOVE Kopparburger Pear Cider, and developed the taste for it when I studied abroad in England...but any old apple cider is good too.) As for wine... I like sweet! Reisling is my go-to. 

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose?
    DEFINITELY give up beer. I don't like beer. I wish I was cool and did. And if I could only choose one to drink...wine. Goes with many things. And then there's sparkling wine and you can mix in juice!  

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they?
    In CT it was illegal to sell alcohol on Sundays until 2012. And I'm pretty sure grocery stores here don't sell wine or liquor either. Just beer. Which is weird. Beer but not wine? don't get it. Oh! Except Stew Leonards! They have a wine shopped attached to the regular grocery store. 

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)!
    Oh man. I'm boring. I'm a really light drinker... I'd always prefer dessert or an appetizer to a drink, so I am really limited in imagination/ knowledge when it comes to this! 

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices?
    Dry wedding. I'd be pretty happy with virgin drinks, and I'm super duper frugal these days. 

I will say, I wish I had drunk more at FI's cousin's wedding though. And so does he! I was slowly drinking my first glass of wine, and he was drinking a few glasses of wine, then went to ask for water to stay hydrated... and no water! ANYWHERE! Barely any juice either. So I didn't bother downing anything else alcoholic. It was basically a dry wedding for me, and FI was a touch buzzed for a little bit... he was doing silly dancing... he looked like a muppet bopping around, and I think I would have joined him in having more fun/ been less self conscious if I had had another drink! So I've basically vowed to force myself at the next wedding I go to... which is going to be mine!
  • Options
    @speakeasy14 omg. omg. hot chocolate wine?????? 

I WANT THAT!!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    And, life update: 

FI and I went to his aunt and uncle's house in Long Island for Passover last saturday/ sunday. I had a good time. I like seeing other people's family dynamics, particularly FI's. His parents are low stress compared to mine, which are type A. His Aunt and Uncle remind me of my parents. So it's really funny/ sometimes tension filled to watch them interact. But his Aunt and Uncle do the full Sedar which is kind of torture. His parents think so too. I always lose tract of where we are in the little book, and I don't know the lyrics to the songs. I must look like a deer in the head lights! Anyway, we stopped at a diner before we got to his aunt and uncles and met up with his parents and siblings which is the tradition. I love that. 

Yesterday and today I've had OBGYN appointments. Ultrasound yesterday..... I apparently definitely have PCOS. When I was a kid, it was always "oh, maybe... we're not sure... if you do it's mild." Yesterday it was just "yup. You do. Definitely. You might have a hard time having kids. Your risk for type 2 diabetes is high. You should be eating as if you're a diabetic right now." So, that was tough. I'm going to really need to work on changing my diet which as of now contains a lot of pasta (the low carb high fiber pasta, but still.) 

And today I had a meeting to talk about genetic testing-- my mom had breast cancer before age 50, and my entire family (and FI's for that matter) are Ashkenazi, so I definitely qualify for BRCA testing. My mom might get tested first though, since apparently if we know her status then my status will have more meaning. (aka, if she's positive and I'm negative, then we know why she got breast cancer and therefore that I'm much much less likely to get it. If she's negative, then we don't know why she got breast cancer, and I should still start mammograms, etc. much earlier than the average)

ETA: But, it's a $4000 test, and I think we have a large deductible so I and my mom may need to forgo the test until and if we get a different type of insurance. 

So, yeah. Not so fun! I'm going to try to just enjoy the rest of the week though, because on Monday I start the long term sub job!
  • Options
    speakeasy14speakeasy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Ok now I can respond:
    jenjen047 I've had a flaming Dr. Pepper before, they are delicious, tastes exactly like Dr.Pepper
    @labro I love that you just hung out in your dress. 
    CLoGreenEyes did you see that Blue Moon has a new summer flavor this year?  It is peach and I am on a mission to find it.
    lilacck28 Ugh you need a giant drink or two

• Options
    @lilacck28 Oh wow, I'm so sorry! I wish you'd gotten better news. Do you know if the doctor you use accepts Care Credit? I don't normally advocate credit cards, but Care Credit is interest free for a year as long as you make payments on time. It's helped me a lot with my high deductible since my allergy shots and sinus issues have been crazy expensive. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    @lilacck28 - so sorry to hear about your PCOS news and genetic testing woes. im sorry its so expensive, thats rough. *hugs*

Work has been slow this week....so slow that I've actually been going through threads on NEY from before I started posting. So thanks, ladies, for giving me SOMETHING to do. Except I think my coworkers probably think I am BSC when they see me browsing threads with rings or dress pics or whatever and I'm not even engaged. I need a disclaimer that I'm not browsing/planning....just reading updates from Internet friends that are planning!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    thanks the hugs @jenjen047 and drink thoughts @speakeasy14 ! And for the advice @eilis1228 ! I'll look into the care credit card... luckily I can afford to wait a bit to do the testing, and maybe I'll choose a non-deductible plan in the future for exactly this purpose (I guess this is the plus to not having a solid job right now? haha) 

Basically, I can wait because If you find out your have the gene, your options for prevention are 1. get on birth control 2. mastectomy 3. remove ovaries. I'm already on the pill, and Options 2 and 3 really aren't options for me at this age (I'm turning 26 soon), and won't be until I'm done making zee babies. The tentative timeline is to TTC in 2 - 5 years. I don't imagine we'll be stable enough to try any sooner than 2 years, but who knows. If I have the gene, I think we would push up baby making as much as possible. Because of the PCOS, we'll probably push that up to closer to the 2 year mark anyway since getting pregnant will most likely take a while if it's possible. 
  • Options
    labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    @lilacck28 Ugh, I'm so sorry you have to go through all of that. You need an extra extra large glass of wine.

• Options
    edited April 2015
    @labro Thanks for the support! It really does mean a lot. 

Both the issues have been sort of on my radar for a while, but I've just ... buried them deep in my psyche. When I had time after losing the job I decided it was time to pay attention to my health again, hence many doctor appointments in a short time period. 

They are not really rare problems (lots of people deal with them!), and the situation certainly could be worse, so I feel weird being all "boo hoo" about them but I was kinda bat shit/ not thinking properly yesterday regardless haha. 
  • Options
    Big hugs, @lilacck28! I vote you just drink from the bottle tonight. 

• Options
    @lilacck28 - Big hugs.  I second @Swazzle.  Just grab a bottle.  
  • Options
    What's your go to drink of choice? Captain and ginger, Red Bull and vodka, white Russian or a Dirty Shirley

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? I could easily give up beer, I've found only one beer that I like, everything else just doesn't do it for me, I'll drink it but I don't have to have it. I could drink hard liquor for life, because variety.

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? We used to not be able to sell alcohol after 8pm and on Sundays. They changed that law which is great. Um, I guess you can't buy hard liquor in grocery stores which kind of blew my mind when we went to Las Vegas and you could buy alcohol right there in Wal Mart.

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)! Ummm, I guess a scorpion bowl?

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? Dry wedding and bring a flask.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • Options
    @lilaack, big hugs.
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

@lilacck28 - *lots of hugs* That's a lot to be dealing with and even if these problems are something a lot of people deal with it doesn't mean it isn't affecting you and your life in big ways. You are absolutely justified in feeling upset.

On the plus side, it being a more common issue means a larger community you can look to for support/understanding and go to with questions. I know there have been a couple of threads on chit chat about dealing with PCOS and fertility issues if you ever want to lurk or ask questions.

• Options
    @lilacck28 big hugs! 

What's your go to drink of choice? Most of the time I reach for a Chardonnay or similar white wine. But I do enjoy craft beers and various cocktails on occasion. 

If you had to give up hard liquor, wine, or beer for the rest of your life, which one would you give up? If you could choose only one to drink, which would you choose? I would give up hard liquor and only drink wine. 

Does your state or province have any ridiculous laws surrounding alcohol? If so, what are they? Coming from NY, the fact that it is legal for grocery stores, Walmart, CVS, and Rite Aid to sell beer, wine, and hard liquor was aboslutely bizarre to me. Every time I go back to NY and want to pick up wine or liquor I forget that I have to go to a liquor store and not just the supermarket around the corner. 

Most fun/creative/wild cocktail you can come up with (include a picture if you can)! FI and I enjoy a science themed bar downtown that serves Shrubs in test tubes with dry ice. I will add a picture later. 

Would you rather go to a dry wedding and be well hosted with extremely good food and virgin drinks or pay for your drinks at a wedding with equally good food but alcohol that's being served at bar/restaurant prices? Definitely dry wedding with delicious food and virgin drinks! I rarely carry cash on me in general, especially at weddings. 

• Options
    Hey, I have a question. I keep seeing people drinking what looks like a beer with a pickle spear in it. I think this would be awesome (I like beer and pickles), but I have no idea what this is called and don't want to be that idiot asking for "a beer-pickle thing" if it has a better name. Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know what this is called?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards