Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is it just me or is this SUPER lame?

Our wedding venue is at a restaurant and they have a baker, so they do their own wedding cakes. We decided to get our cake through them. We are going for the cake tasting next month and we have to pay $25. I think that is lame, but whatever, I got over it. I just found out today we only get to try 3 of their flavors! 3!! Out of about 10 flavors.

Is this ridiculous or what? And on top of it, I have to pay $25 to try 3 flavors.

Re: Is it just me or is this SUPER lame?

• I think it's a little weird since they are tied to your venue and I'm assuming you've already made a deposit on the venue.

I wouldn't find it weird if they were an independent baker. A lot of bakeries will charge a tasting fee that will be applied to the cake if you book with them.
  • It's not unusual at all because if it's in-house it's not as though they are a store-front bakery with all of their varieties on-hand.  The cake has a cost associated with it, it's not like you're going to a bridal show and have to pay $25 for the tasting while there.  I'm guessing they've dealt with a lot of "window shoppers" who will come in, eat cake, and never have any intentions to book, meanwhile they've spent more than $25 between the value of their time and supplies if the baker is any good.  Many bakers apply the tasting fee towards the deposit if you book that day or within a certain window.  I know the baker who we used for DD's First Communion cake charges $60 for hers which goes toward the cost of the cake, but it wasn't an option for us since our cake wasn't large enough to even have a tasting so we ordered blind but I'd known her for years and credentials so said "here you go!"... 

IMO, if you're miffed about it, talk to the baker at the consult as to why they implemented the charge. Chances are it's because they dealt with one too many person who either wasted their time or excessive amounts of cancellations from people not respecting their time.  Either way, your concerns will either be answered in a way that you're comfortable with or you'll consider yourself $25 ahead to NOT book if you aren't answered to your satisfaction.  That's not to say that she'll wave the tasting fee, but that you understand why it's in place from their perspective in business.

• I don't think it's off base to charge, although that seems a tad steep.  Of the bakeries I frequent, the famous bakery (as in award winning, featured on Food Network, magazines, etc.) offers free tastings of eight flavors (you don't pick - they pick the from their 8 best sellers).  Another bakery here charges $2.00 per flavor, but you get nearly a full slice (and can also order the tasting slices to go).  And my favorite neighborhood bakery gives you one free flavor and charges $3.50 per additional flavor you want to try (but they actually give you 6" rounds for your tasting - it's a lot of cake for a tasting and you can also get them to go so you can try them at home ahead of your appt. and then show up to just work out the details and design). 

• I don't think them charging or limiting you to a certain number of flavors is weird at all.  

I mean with regular food tastings you typically have to pick and choose a certain number of apps and entrees you wish to try.  You don't typically get to try everything on the menu.  And with some food tastings you get two people for free but if you want anyone else at your tasting then you have to pay.  I mean the food you are eating is not free, same with the cake.  $25 does seem a bit steep but what are you going to do?  

I mean if you don't like the fact that they are charging for the tasting or limiting you to a certain number of flavors to try then don't use them.

• While I agree that it may be annoying, I find it pretty common and usual and not weird at all. I mean, you tasting the cakes costs them money. For every flavor that you want to try, they basically have to make an entire cake just for you to have one slice. Have you ever baked a cake? It's not a quick 2 minute thing. While they may not have to decorate them, it still takes time, energy, effort, resources, and ingredients; some even highly specialty items (like if they use actual vanilla beans or any special flavorings).

Put it this way: What do you do for a living? Would you want to do that for free just so that you can make someone feel more comfortable in hiring you later on in the future? And even if you would, would you work a day? A week? A month? A year? Businesses don't make money by giving everything away for free.

That being said: I'd find it a lot more amicable if they just priced in the cost of cake tastings. Sure, you still "pay" for it, but it FEELS like you're getting it for free, and I think that's a nice touch.

• No, it's not lame at all. As PPs said, it's not like they just have these cakes made all the time. We did cupcakes, and I had to go in to the bakery multiple times, on the days they were serving the flavors I wanted to try, and I paid for every one.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Not unusual at all. They're likely baking 3 cakes specifically for you - that comes at a cost. And often the tasting charge is meant to dissuade people from gaming the system for free cake, but they'll apply it toward your cake cost if/when you book with them.

$25 for 3 flavors is exactly what I paid at my bakery, and it was deducted from the final bill.

• $25 is on the steeper side, but not unusual at all.   There are costs involved in making the cakes.  Labor being the most expensive.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • thanks everyone! 
  • Kind of odd but not unheard of. If your cake is included in your wedding package, then I don't think a charge is really fair. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I think it's pretty steep.  Do they make cupcakes in the flavors you're interested in?  Maybe you can buy them instead.  FWIW, the bakery our venue used provided free tastings a couple days a month....that's when brides/grooms who had bookings at the venue could come in and sample.  They had the samples in two bite sizes.  Worked out pretty well.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    The rate may be steep, but a tasting fee sounds pretty reasonable.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards