Attire & Accessories Forum

guest questions

I've recently had a few guests coming to my wedding ask me what they should wear. It's in August, outdoor ceremony, indoor reception. It's not super formal or anything, so I basically said "maybe don't wear jeans, look pretty?"

It kind of came at me out of the blue, cuz I've never really thought of it myself when I've attended weddings. Is there a better way to word it if people continue to ask?

Re: guest questions

• Let them know the venue outdoor/indoor and time of day and tell them to wear whatever makes them comfortable in that environment
  • Tell them "the wedding ceremony is outside, but the reception is inside.  Dress in whatever you are comfortable in".
  • "Dressy casual" or "resort casual" are the terms I've heard to describe what basically amounts to khakis+polos as a base level instead of jeans+t-shirts.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think describing venue, time of day,mindoor/outdoor helps. I've also descrbed what fiancé and I are wearing so they have an idea of how formal we'll be dressed.
  • "Dressy casual" or "resort casual" are the terms I've heard to describe what basically amounts to khakis+polos as a base level instead of jeans+t-shirts.

Please don't do this. These are not real dress codes and will only create more confusion. "Dressy casual" is an oxymoron, for crying out loud.

Please don't do this. These are not real dress codes and will only create more confusion. "Dressy casual" is an oxymoron, for crying out loud.
    Yeah I wouldn't say that, that's really weird... I suppose just explaining the venues is all I can do. My MOH was with me when a friend of mine asked us, and she described the BMs dresses to try to help. Obviously I don't want to dictate people's attire, but I'd like an easy way to answer if people do ask. 
  • I would say semi-formal I think that is a safe bet... some may take the casual a bit too far and end up feeling uncomfortable and under-dressed.

The Knot actually has a good cheat-sheet for this here: https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-guest-attire-cheat-sheet

• olmeadows said:

I would say semi-formal I think that is a safe bet... some may take the casual a bit too far and end up feeling uncomfortable and under-dressed.

The Knot actually has a good cheat-sheet for this here: https://www.theknot.com/content/wedding-guest-attire-cheat-sheet

Ugh. Semi-formal also means nothing (i.e. a super-wide variety of things depending on who hears it). TK's articles are terrible.

But you know that, OP.

• edited April 2015
    Yea, "semi-formal" isn't actually a thing (unless you're in high school and attending a homecoming dance). 

I also wouldn't say "look pretty" - it's kind of rude. 

Just explain the plan: "The wedding is outdoors in August on a grassy lawn. The average temp is usually XX and the wedding is in the sun/shade. We also plan to have a 3 hour gap where guests will be outside, so plan for that. If it rains, we'll be inside at XYZ location. If we're indoors, it's air-conditioned." 

People will appreciate the extra information and can figure it out from there. Keep in mind that unless these people are children or from Downton Abbey with personal valets, they've been dressing themselves for years.
    *********************************************************************************

• Tell them "the wedding ceremony is outside, but the reception is inside.  Dress in whatever you are comfortable in".

This.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• I agree, tell them the ceremony will be outside and what type of surface it's one. Women will appreciate that information to know what type of heels to wear. And that the reception indoors. Maybe mention there is A/C should it get hot (great for women so that if they might be a freeze baby they can bring a sweather or shawl). And then tell them, that the dads will be wearing x, and the moms have y for outfits. This way if the dad's will be wearing suits & the mom's traditional MOB & MOG dresses, that gives the guest an idea that they still need to dress up for the wedding but to take the weather into consideration for an outdoor ceremony. If you tell them that the dad's will be wearing khaki's and button down shirts & no ties & the mom's are wearing sundresses, it tells the guest that it's a more relaxed dress code.
  • cool thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards