Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Menu options on RSVP card

We are having a plated dinner and one of the options is Moroccan Rubbed Beef Brisket. My question is, seeing this as as option would you assume its spicy? I'm only asking because a majority of both of our families who have been told what the dinner options said they would or would not get it because its spicy. The problem is that it is not spicy is just well seasoned brisket.

So my next question should I make a note on the RSVP card that it is not spicy?
___Moroccan Rubbed Beef Brisket (not spicy)

I feel like this looks weird/dumb but I want guests to feel comfortable knowing what they are ordering.

Re: Menu options on RSVP card

• lizz0915 said:

We are having a plated dinner and one of the options is Moroccan Rubbed Beef Brisket. My question is, seeing this as as option would you assume its spicy? I'm only asking because a majority of both of our families who have been told what the dinner options said they would or would not get it because its spicy. The problem is that it is not spicy is just well seasoned brisket.

So my next question should I make a note on the RSVP card that it is not spicy?
    ___Moroccan Rubbed Beef Brisket (not spicy)

I feel like this looks weird/dumb but I want guests to feel comfortable knowing what they are ordering.

Most menu selections I see on RSVP cards aren't very detailed. They're either chicken, beef or veggie. In your case, I'd put "Beef Brisket" on the RSVP and more details on your wedding website. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • If you have space to describe and you want to, go ahead. As a guest, I would find this helpful.
    *********************************************************************************

• I would probably think that there was some spice to it but not like OMG my mouth is on fire spicy. But if you have room to add some detail then I would.  It definitely helps when picking a dish.

• I usually lean toward "the more detail the better" but in this case it does seem like it would be better to just call it beef brisket rather than "Moroccan rubbed." I don't like the (not spicy) addition, it just seems... IDK, too casual or like an afterthought, maybe.

If you have more room to list more details, I'd go something like 

____ Beef Brisket
            Rubbed with a mild Moroccan spice blend and served with potato

• I like lolo's suggestion.  I personally wouldn't think it was spicy, but I also go to Lebanese/Persian restaurants all the time. 

• I'm so torn.

I don't think you need to put the (non spicy) part.   However, I  have a strong aversion to cumin and cayenne that I would be really disappointed  if I picked beef brisket and it came out with Moroccan rub.

My vote is say Moroccan rubbed Beef Brisket.  Then people can google what that means if they don't know.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Maybe "Moroccan Seasoned?" You could also try putting the flavor profile, such as "Moroccan Lemon-Cinnamon Brisket."
  • Thanks for all the responses and suggestions ladies. I'm still not sure what I'm going to go with but I really appreciate an outside perspective.
  • edited June 2015
  • hyechica81hyechica81 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2015
    this was my response card

prime rib___
    twin stuffed lobster tails___
    chicken franchise___
    eggplant Parmigiana___

i didnt put any details next to them and i didn't even have any details  about what was on the food on my wedding website but if someone wanted to know i let them know  more about it like the chicken had a lemon butter sauce lightly breaded 

• I would tend to think that it might be spicy but I wouldn't automatically think it would be too spicy for most people. Instead of putting a note on the card, I'd let it be known via word of mouth that the dish isn't necessarily spicy. That will keep your cards neat and set people at ease who might worry that they can't handle the spice.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • We had a similar issue with our menu.  We're serving a chili coffee rubbed flank steak.  It's not spicy at all, but much of FI's family is pretty heat averse, and we worried they would run from that option the minute they saw the word "chili."  We opted to describe it as a "house rubbed" flank steak on our RSVP cards.  We figured that wouldn't mislead the spice-averse guests but still give people a heads up that there was some seasoning on the steak if they had spice aversions and wanted to pick something else or inquire further about what "house rubbed" meant.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards