Chit Chat
Options

Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

Re: Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

• Options
    beethery said:

hellosweetie1015 I should close this thread and make it an announcement because of that story.

...did I violate something?

Sorry. I'm confused. I can edit it out if it's a TOS violation, but I just wanted to explain why I'd rather have pee pants, and I put a TMI warning.

I'm also on cough medication so if you're being sarcastic please forgive me for not catching it.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    twoleighstwoleighs member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

So since we are talking about germs, how many of you ladies hover or sit on a public toilet seat when you pee?

I sit unless there is visible stuff of some sort.

Same here. THE HORROR.

And if there was visible liquid (poo is a different matter) would you take some toilet paper and wipe it off then sit or would you hover?
    If there is anything in, on, or around a public toilet, I hold it or, if I'm extremely desperate, I'll move to the farthest stall I can. Unflushed pee? Nope. Unflushed poop? DEFINITELY nope. Clean-looking public restrooms let me pretend they are actually clean. If they are not clean-looking, I'm not using them.

I do not use portapotties. I will wet myself before I do that. They are disgusting. I don't use plane bathrooms either.

I'm not a germaphobe, but I'm also not going to deal with other people's bodily secretions. Not happening. Not a chance. 

------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously? You would rather walk around in pee pants? I can't fathom this EVER.
    EDITED BECAUSE THE BOXES HATE ME.

It's never happened before. But yes, I will sooner pee my pants than I will use a portapotty. 

TMI WARNING!!!

This is super embarrassing, but I used to, on rare occasions, have unexplained accidents. Like, as an adult. It would go like, I was completely fine, I didn't need to potty at all, and then BOOM NO TIME GOTTA PEE RIGHT NOW. They never, ever left me with time to get to a restroom. I keep a change of clothes in my car (and FI's, now) because of it, although thankfully they only ever happened at the end of the day when I was halfway home from work, and I haven't had one in a couple years. So I guess that's why I'd be okay with it - if the choice were portapotty or pee pants, I'd take the pee pants and start hunting down the car.
    ---------------------HOLY CRAP BOXES---------------------------------

The same exact thing happens to me.  I've had this issue since I was a kid and unfortunately it followed me into adulthood.  

Recently I had an overnight accident and I had to wake FI up to get the sheets off the bed.  I was mortified.  
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

beethery said:

hellosweetie1015 I should close this thread and make it an announcement because of that story.

Sorry. I'm confused. I can edit it out if it's a TOS violation, but I just wanted to explain why I'd rather have pee pants, and I put a TMI warning.

I'm also on cough medication so if you're being sarcastic please forgive me for not catching it.
    It was a joke.
    --

I'm the fuck
    out.

• Options
    beethery said:

beethery said:

It was a joke.
    Oh ok. I'm blaming the cough meds then.
  • Options
    Another complaint are the strangers who leave fucking tampons in the public toilets.

But with a toddler and having just finished going through potty training, I have seen some disgusting things.
  • Options

amelisha said:

I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.

But I have to ask the super-clean folks here: how do you live with kids and animals? Or how do you plan to handle kids? Kids, particularly little ones and teens, are disgusting.

Our teen boy is literally the most disgusting human being I've seen leaving bodily fluids everywhere, tracking nastiness all over the house, and creating messes so disgusting I never knew they were possible. My niece is 3 and is nasty. While she's a princess who hates having visibly dirty hands, she touches everything, drops things everywhere, and has accidents on numerous surfaces. Our dog sprints to any pile of shit he can find in any backyard or dog park. He also likes to play in mud, lick things, and rub up against any surface.

Also, do you worry about your immunity? I keep reading about how the overuse of anti-bacterial cleaners is weakening our immunity to germs. Which I remind myself of regularly when applying the 5 second rule to food or using public restrooms.

I don't have kids or pets, but my mother is ten times cleaner than I am and stays that way despite pets and taking care of six kids under school age every day in her home, so I assume that if we change our minds on kids I'll manage too. We do plan to get a dog and cat but we're going with mostly non-shedding breeds to make it easier on me. And I always had pets growing up and we did fine. Mostly they just got a quick paw-and-face wash by the back door and their teeth brushed every night (along with a monthly bath.)

Um, I don't even always brush MY OWN teeth every night. The bolded is more than a little OTT to me.
    Lolo, you should see a shrink. One that specializes in filthiness.
  • Options

amelisha said:

I'm fascinated by how clean some people here are! I'm also noticing that I'm a filthy beast.

But I have to ask the super-clean folks here: how do you live with kids and animals? Or how do you plan to handle kids? Kids, particularly little ones and teens, are disgusting.

Our teen boy is literally the most disgusting human being I've seen leaving bodily fluids everywhere, tracking nastiness all over the house, and creating messes so disgusting I never knew they were possible. My niece is 3 and is nasty. While she's a princess who hates having visibly dirty hands, she touches everything, drops things everywhere, and has accidents on numerous surfaces. Our dog sprints to any pile of shit he can find in any backyard or dog park. He also likes to play in mud, lick things, and rub up against any surface.

Also, do you worry about your immunity? I keep reading about how the overuse of anti-bacterial cleaners is weakening our immunity to germs. Which I remind myself of regularly when applying the 5 second rule to food or using public restrooms.

I don't have kids or pets, but my mother is ten times cleaner than I am and stays that way despite pets and taking care of six kids under school age every day in her home, so I assume that if we change our minds on kids I'll manage too. We do plan to get a dog and cat but we're going with mostly non-shedding breeds to make it easier on me. And I always had pets growing up and we did fine. Mostly they just got a quick paw-and-face wash by the back door and their teeth brushed every night (along with a monthly bath.)

Um, I don't even always brush MY OWN teeth every night. The bolded is more than a little OTT to me.
    Lolo, you should see a shrink. One that specializes in filthiness.
    Probably. But I think I'll just stick with a dentist and a cleaning lady.

• Options

amelisha said:

I never brush my dogs' teeth.   I don't need to.  We give them bones to chew on.  Both of them have great teeth.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

esstee33 said:

I've really never encountered a port-a-potty that was so gross I wouldn't use it. I use public bathrooms on the regular, wipe piss off the seat then sit right on it, and if my digestive disorder is so inclined, I poop in public bathrooms too. Not on the seat, though. 

I clean my house when I feel like it. There are usually dirty dishes in the sink, because I don't have a dishwasher and I really only seem to be motivated to wash dishes in the morning while my coffee is brewing. Whatever isn't done in that time can wait until next time. 

I take my shoes off in my house, but only because I don't like wearing shoes at all -- half the time I don't wear them outside, either. I'll even walk barefoot up to my apartment's mailboxes on all that hallway carpet. IDGAF. 
    No joke, I have a friend who can't poop in public. She will literally hold it until she gets home or go home for lunch early or something. I always thought it was ridiculous.
    Has she ever lived in a dorm?

esstee33 said:

I've really never encountered a port-a-potty that was so gross I wouldn't use it. I use public bathrooms on the regular, wipe piss off the seat then sit right on it, and if my digestive disorder is so inclined, I poop in public bathrooms too. Not on the seat, though. 

I clean my house when I feel like it. There are usually dirty dishes in the sink, because I don't have a dishwasher and I really only seem to be motivated to wash dishes in the morning while my coffee is brewing. Whatever isn't done in that time can wait until next time. 

I take my shoes off in my house, but only because I don't like wearing shoes at all -- half the time I don't wear them outside, either. I'll even walk barefoot up to my apartment's mailboxes on all that hallway carpet. IDGAF. 
    No joke, I have a friend who can't poop in public. She will literally hold it until she gets home or go home for lunch early or something. I always thought it was ridiculous.
    I knew someone who thought it was rude for people to poop in public bathrooms. Um, that's kind of what there there for?
    That is kind of funny. Some of the girls I work with won't go if someone else is in the bathroom and it always turns into a "sit off" until one comes back angry because she couldn't go.. you were just in there, just go!
    I have definitely done the poop standoff before when I knew it would be an especially offensive one, but never to the point of not going.
    Yeah I'll try to hold in loud farts, but not poops. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

If God wanted me to pee standing up she would've given me a dick.

I am too lazy for all that hovering shit.

My sister and her friends refer to God as the big girl upstairs so I LOVE that you say she :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Haven't read the whole thread. I'm guessing that since it's 13 pages long, some sort of fight broke out. I'll catch up later.

Our place looks lived in. I try to spend about 30-60 minutes each day picking up and cleaning. It doesn't always happen. So it's not sparkling, but it's kept up pretty well. I don't typically clean the kitchen right after meals but do at some point most days. I don't sweat it if some homework or whatever is left out. We don't have a dishwasher so there's pretty much always a few things in the sink but I try not to let it overflow. 

My parents are legit hoarders and their house is disgusting. I'm pretty proud of myself for becoming as neat as I am, given that environment that I grew up in. Clutter makes me nervous. 

H's parents house is always pretty much spotless. I don't understand people like that. 
  • Options
    hellosweetie1015  I assume if you don't use airplane bathrooms, you haven't taken long flights??  I've been on 11-12 hours flights.  I gotta go several times in that period.  

I pee anywhere.  I don't care.  I'm like little orphan Annie.  When you gotta go, you gotta go.  I will wipe a drop or two, with lots of TP, otherwise I'll choose another stall.  

What seriously gross me out if people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.  I only see it occasionally here but I'd guess I see it with at least half of the people in bathrooms in Europe.  Now you're just spreading all of your germs to everyone else.  

As for shoes, I remember in the last year or so (before the last exodus of regs) where no one took off shoes in the house.  Knotties said it was incredibly rude, so it's interesting to see how the perspective has changed to more half and half.  

It's always been rude here to keep shoes on.  If people aren't comfortable with socks/barefeet, they tend to bring their own slippers/indoor shoes.  But as Amelisha said, it probably comes from the amount of snow and cold/boots we have up here.  I'll occasionally leave mine on in the summer and on the non carpet floors, but only in my house.  Never at someone else's house.   

• Options

hellosweetie1015  I assume if you don't use airplane bathrooms, you haven't taken long flights??  I've been on 11-12 hours flights.  I gotta go several times in that period.  

I pee anywhere.  I don't care.  I'm like little orphan Annie.  When you gotta go, you gotta go.  I will wipe a drop or two, with lots of TP, otherwise I'll choose another stall.  

What seriously gross me out if people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom.  I only see it occasionally here but I'd guess I see it with at least half of the people in bathrooms in Europe.  Now you're just spreading all of your germs to everyone else.  

As for shoes, I remember in the last year or so (before the last exodus of regs) where no one took off shoes in the house.  Knotties said it was incredibly rude, so it's interesting to see how the perspective has changed to more half and half.  

It's always been rude here to keep shoes on.  If people aren't comfortable with socks/barefeet, they tend to bring their own slippers/indoor shoes.  But as Amelisha said, it probably comes from the amount of snow and cold/boots we have up here.  I'll occasionally leave mine on in the summer and on the non carpet floors, but only in my house.  Never at someone else's house.   
    We flew from Atlanta to Heathrow direct, and then from Charles de Gaulle back to ATL. Peed right before we boarded and went straight to the bathroom after we got off, and was fine. I did use it once on a flight to Hawaii and swore never again.
  • Options

I'm not a germophobe. I eat things off the floor and don't wash my hands all the time. I have no problem with public transportation, public handrails, stuff like that. 

But I like my house clean. Hopefully we will instill cleanliness into our future children. We'll have certain standards and they will be expected to help with household chores. I won't be one of those moms who follows their kid around picking up after it and who doesn't expect their kid to help out. Obviously when they're super little, I'll do it, but by the time they're old enough to walk, grasp and understand direction, they'll be picking up their own toys.
    Hopefully that "not a germaphobe" part kicks in when the kids learn to take off their diaper and play with the poo inside. Or if while changing a diaper/giving a bath, somehow they pee onto your face. Or if they poop in the basement floor like my friend's daughter did mid-temper tantrum at age 5. Or when they wipe boogers into your hand.
    I have changed exactly 1/2 a diaper in my life. I was 12 or so and asked to change my boy cousin's diaper. He peed straight up my shirt into my face. I cried and asked someone to finish the job. 

I've honestly never had the opportunity since then. I'm going to be greeeeeeat at diaper changing...pfffff. 
    I have never changed a diaper and don't plan on changing any diapers unless I have a kid of my own.  When the kid is yours apparently (from what I am told) that stuff doesn't bother you nearly as much as if someone else's kid pees in your face or has explosive poo everywhere.
    You have dogs, so you must have picked up dog poop before. I feel the same way about that, as people do with their kids. It's my dog's so it doesn't bother me. 

You crazy germophobes would hate my house. It was clean until we got a dog. He drags in his dirty toys and sticks from outside. He hates it when you clean his paws. And one time he brought in a frozen poop. Shoes are the least of my worries.

Seriously, life is gross.
    Oh, yeah I have no problem picking up my dogs poop, or cleaning up her throw up, or wiping her butt if needed.  I do it and don't even think about it.  But ask me to do that with someone else's animal?  Uh, no thank you.

And with having a pet dog hair and dirt is just going to happen in your house.  When I got my pup I thought back to when I was younger and we had a golden retriever.  I asked my Mom why it never seemed that we had any dog hair tumble weeds in the house.  She told me it was because she vacuumed every single day.  And she was able to do that because she was a stay at home Mom. Yeah, I don't have that time.  When I get home from working 9 hours I have time to hug my dog and my H, make some dinner, clean up dinner, maybe straighten up the family room and then get ready for bed.  The last thing I want to do is vacuum.  So dog hair tumble weeds will occur and if someone doesn't like it then they are free to grab the vacuum or hire someone for me.

• Options
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dog hair tumble weeds, because it's kind of embarrassing when guests come over and those things are around. 

We try to sweep the kitchen at least once a week [which doesn't always happen], but somehow the tumble weeds seem to accumulate there no matter what. 
  • Options
    Ah yes, the dog fur tumbleweeds...we have those. It is pretty much inevitable when you have three dogs. This time of year I am vacuuming at least every other day and in reality, it needs it every day. 

• Options

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has dog hair tumble weeds, because it's kind of embarrassing when guests come over and those things are around. 

We try to sweep the kitchen at least once a week [which doesn't always happen], but somehow the tumble weeds seem to accumulate there no matter what. 
    Even after we sweep cat hair tumbleweeds go floating by. I feel like they appear out of nowhere.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    littlepep said:

Even after we sweep cat hair tumbleweeds go floating by. I feel like they appear out of nowhere.

They do! And there's so many of them, and so much hair gets sucked into the vacuum, that I'm just like "how are our dogs not bald?!" 
  • Options
    KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    Late to the thread, but I've read it all:

I basically give zero fucks about germs. I like my house to be clean and organized but it seldom is, really. We really need more bookshelves and more kitchen cupboards (we have kind of an "unfitted" kitchen now and I'm glad, because we've learned it's not what we want going forward) and just storage solutions in general to achieve the level of organization we'd like, but that shit's expensive and it has to happen slowly!

We encourage our kids to clean up after themselves just to form good habits (this was NOT a thing when I was a kid and I basically grew up in a perpetual disaster and didn't feel good about it) but tidyness and habit-forming is the goal, not germ-killing.

We've actually been really lucky with the kids, by the way - I've never been pooped on (of course I've gotten poo on my hands a bit), they never once took a diaper off, they've never once drawn on a wall, I don't think they've ever even broken anything. I got peed on twice, when each was about a month old. There is hope! They do spill a lot of crumbs and shit on the floor under the dining table.

We do maybe two loads of laundry a week. Maybe it's because our bathrooms actually don't have fans/vents, but I do notice a mildew smell in the towels if they sit too long, so they get changed every couple of showers. We try to hang them somewhere where they can dry out completely if we aren't going to launder them right away, but we don't have any full-length towel bars anywhere, only hooks... so, that would probably be step one...

We just recently got a Roomba and I'm super happy with it. It entertains the children and it's great at just keeping the general level of dust down. What I really need to work on next is more frequent mopping, and I'm honestly tempted to get one of those Scoobas or whatever they're called. Robots for the win.

I'm in Canada and everyone I know always takes their shoes off inside; it's just what we've all done since childhood. I've never seen anyone ask anyone to take their shoes off - it's either just done automatically or it's one of those situations where it's understood to not be done, like a cocktail party with outfits or a business operating out of someone's home. I've had guests who are from the U.S. and I would never dream of asking them to take their shoes off or say anything to make them uncomfortable. I may even find a pair of flats or something to throw on myself so they don't notice my sock feet and feel like they're doing anything wrong. It's habit/custom, not a germ thing, and I have hardwood floors so I give no fucks about what anyone else wears on their feet.

Actually, that reminds me of when my SIL was still living on the main floor of our rental house while we rented out the upper through Airbnb. She was bitching about people leaving their shoes on (because of the noise) and suggesting we "put up one of those signs". "It's SO rude, and it's going to wreck your floors!" Yeah, no. NOT doing that. And wreck the floors? Because every school, restaurant, public building everywhere has ruined floors? But it literally never occurred to her that these were visitors from other countries and they were in no way trying to be rude. I actually had to explain to her that a lot of people wear shoes inside (and that the floors would survive).

I do keep a big basket of slippers that people can use if they want, because our floors are always freezing in the winter. DH and I might actually start wearing "indoor shoes" (like Mr. Rogers!) because we're thinking of building treadmill desks and want to use decent athletic shoes with them.

I definitely sit my ass down on toilet seats. I will wipe up a wee bit of pee before sitting if I need to. Actually, a disgusting bathroom floor will gross me out more than a nasty toilet, because I feel like that's inescapable even if I move to another stall.

• Options
    emmaaa said:

littlepep said:

They do! And there's so many of them, and so much hair gets sucked into the vacuum, that I'm just like "how are our dogs not bald?!" 
    Confession: I vacuum my dogs sometimes.

If I tried to do that I would also be cleaning up pee since my dog would be crazy scared.

But I did have a vacuum at one time with a dog grooming attachment.  

• Options

emmaaa said:

littlepep said:

If I tried to do that I would also be cleaning up pee since my dog would be crazy scared.

Yeah, our big dog is terrified of the noise but once I calm him down with treats he gets by.

• Options

emmaaa said:

littlepep said:

Beagle attacked the vacuum cleaner last time FI tried to vacuum her. In her defense, he interrupted her nap. Big dog got scared so we gave up on that. He's a total chicken. He's even scared of windshield wipers, and the dinging noise on Wheel of Fortune 
  • Options

amelisha said:

It's on her vet's advice - preventing gum issues and infections later. A lot of health problems can be prevented by taking good care of their teeth and gums, apparently. It doesn't make their breath smell better (chicken flavoured toothpaste) but it does keep their mouths in good shape and helps not breed infections and rotten teeth, so my mom has done it for every dog she's had since then. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    amelisha said:

amelisha said:

It's on her vet's advice - preventing gum issues and infections later. A lot of health problems can be prevented by taking good care of their teeth and gums, apparently. It doesn't make their breath smell better (chicken flavoured toothpaste) but it does keep their mouths in good shape and helps not breed infections and rotten teeth, so my mom has done it for every dog she's had since then. 
    I mean, obviously it is important to take care of your pet's teeth. No one is debating that. This just seems like serious overkill.
  • Options

amelisha said:

amelisha said:

I mean, obviously it is important to take care of your pet's teeth. No one is debating that. This just seems like serious overkill.
    I don't know, I don't go to the vet with my mom. That's just what she does based on what the vet told her. Once a day if the dog will allow it is what she said to aim for.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards