Chit Chat
Options

Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

Re: Spinoff: how clean is your house? (normally)

• Options

You guys would DIE if you saw my house. We are downright filthy compared to you people.

Mail, laundry, and fucking toys EVERYWHERE. I honestly only clean if people are coming over, and I don't have guests very often because my condo is small and doesn't lend itself well to guests anyway. And cleaning for company involves picking shit up off the floor, cleaning the tables/counters/etc, and MAYBE steam mopping if you are really special. I laughed so hard when i read "cleaning the walls" LOLWUT? Is this a thinhg I am supposed to do? 
    Nope, I'm with you--cleaning is just not a huge priority for either of us. (We both love it when the apartment is nice and tidy for company, but keeping it that way? We suck). I don't like, wallow in filth, but I currently have a few dishes that need to go in the dishwasher, there is clutter all over my living room, and I haven't been "caught up" with laundry in what feels like years.

I like to think things would be a bit different if I had a house that lent itself to entertaining. Even just having more space for shit would mean I could have a catchall room/basement for all the stuff that seems to sneak into places it doesn't belong.

FI is out of town till Thursday, so I'm planning a huge tidying up party for myself on Wednesday night--I think he will be pleased! I'm going to throw out the coffee table that just gathers clutter.
    This makes me feel so much better lol. Seriously, sometimes I look around at all the clutter and mess, and then I look at FI and say, "Are we gross? Are we just failing at being adults?" 

Seeing FSIL's perfect house and then walking into my house just sucks. 
    I mean, I am DEFINITELY gross. I need a wife. Not like, a real-life wife, who is a person. But rather the antiquated, patriarchal, oppressive notion of Wife, the person who picks up after you, cooks for you, schedules your life, and does so with a smile!

Someone should work on making a robot like this. A WifeBot.
    But if such a robot existed, men wouldn't get married anymore! They would have no need for human wives! 
  • Options

amelisha said:

You guys would DIE if you saw my house. We are downright filthy compared to you people.

Mail, laundry, and fucking toys EVERYWHERE. I honestly only clean if people are coming over, and I don't have guests very often because my condo is small and doesn't lend itself well to guests anyway. And cleaning for company involves picking shit up off the floor, cleaning the tables/counters/etc, and MAYBE steam mopping if you are really special. I laughed so hard when i read "cleaning the walls" LOLWUT? Is this a thinhg I am supposed to do? 
    Oh, girl, I should ship you to my mother for a week and if you don't have a nervous breakdown, you'll emerge the kind of person who cleans everything from soap dispensers to all the walls and the inside of every drawer and cabinet to every damn key of the ten-year-dormant piano.

Everytime I look at anything in my house I hear her voice, holding back laughter and saying "Oh, is that clean to you?" It's effective, but there are occasional side effects like looking behind the TV stand, seeing how messy the cords look, and spending three hours fixing it with tears running down your face while you wail "Why doesn't anything stay cleeeeeaaaaaaaaann?!" so on second thought, I don't actually recommend it.

Does it still count as totally BSC if I know it is, though? Being able to joke about it is a step forward, anyway. Pre-FI, I really did just melt down sometimes and call in sick to work and spend two or three days scrubbing and crying. Now I get upset and he tells me I'm being crazy and snaps me out of it before I can go over the Clorox cliff and into the Great Windex Forest.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lyndausvi said:

If I didn't have DH it would be cleaner.  It's such an internal battle with me. 

. I do not like dishes everywhere or even in the sink for that matter..  They just do not bother DH.   

Clutter the same thing.  Drives me crazy, just doesn't bother him.   Most days I  straighten up but sometimes i don't out.  If I go more than a few days (rarely) DH will straighten up the clutter.      

I guess my general routine is to come downstairs and straighten up DH's mess from the night before.    Then start work.  Then mid-day I have lunch and clean up DH's breakfast dishes while I'm making my lunch.     Then after work I straighten  up again. 

If DH cooks dinner I always clean up after him (seem fair since he is the one cooking).     My stuff is normally cleaned up right away.  Except lunch, I sometimes have to wait  if I'm busy at work.

The boy leave his shit everywhere.    However, I find it's my issues that I don't like it sitting around, not his.   Actually he gets annoyed because he is looking for something and I've already put it away somewhere.   Sometimes I have to take a step back.

We dust and vacuum weekly. DH loves to vacuum and do the floors.   Bathrooms twice a week.  Laundry is once a week.   It's upstairs so out of site of company.   

I feel like you are talking about my FI here.  He sounds exactly like your H!

• Options
    It totally depends on the time of year. Winter? We're pretty spotless. Spring and summer are usually clean except for closet-turnover weekends or if we're away for a weekend. Fall? Oh hell, it looks like a tornado has ripped through. DH works 7 days a week officiating high school and college sports after work from late August until Thanksgiving, so he doesn't keep his things neat (he makes lot of piles of things on the floor). I have a hard time cleaning around his stuff, so I don't usually bother. Plus, he brings home mountains of turf dots that I don't have the patience to vacuum every single day. Luckily, we're not home enough during those few months to have people over anyway!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

lyndausvi said:

If I didn't have DH it would be cleaner.  It's such an internal battle with me. 

. I do not like dishes everywhere or even in the sink for that matter..  They just do not bother DH.   

Clutter the same thing.  Drives me crazy, just doesn't bother him.   Most days I  straighten up but sometimes i don't out.  If I go more than a few days (rarely) DH will straighten up the clutter.      

I guess my general routine is to come downstairs and straighten up DH's mess from the night before.    Then start work.  Then mid-day I have lunch and clean up DH's breakfast dishes while I'm making my lunch.     Then after work I straighten  up again. 

If DH cooks dinner I always clean up after him (seem fair since he is the one cooking).     My stuff is normally cleaned up right away.  Except lunch, I sometimes have to wait  if I'm busy at work.

The boy leave his shit everywhere.    However, I find it's my issues that I don't like it sitting around, not his.   Actually he gets annoyed because he is looking for something and I've already put it away somewhere.   Sometimes I have to take a step back.

We dust and vacuum weekly. DH loves to vacuum and do the floors.   Bathrooms twice a week.  Laundry is once a week.   It's upstairs so out of site of company.   

I am the same with my H.  H is very messy and it drives me batty.  When he went away for over a week last month I was amazed by how clean and organized our house always was and how crazy messy it became when he came back home!
    I was in my own personal hell while RVing this weekend.   I loved RVing, but there was so much shit everywhere it was stressing me out.  

This is very my my motto:

Yup, especially if you are in closer quarters then what you are used to.

There are days that I can just feel my anxiety growing when our house gets really messy.  Then I go on a cleaning binge and feel much better.  In fact, I am getting pretty close to that at the moment with H's side of the closet.  I fold and stack all of his t-shirts nicely and then an hour later a handful are in balls or thrown off to the side and the stacks are about ready to fall over. Or his shelf full of hoodies which I have now just started throwing up there because I have fully given up hope that they will ever stay neat.

Ha, 2 weekends ago that is exactly what I did.   

I cleaned his closet when he was skiing.   He came home to a nice organized closet.  Then he kept it organized.  Granted we were gone 4 of those days, ha.  Now that we are back home I give it another few days.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    H and I are not clean but not dirty either.

I'm working on it. My mom always managed to keep such a clean and organized house and me, well.

"clean" I can do. Yeah I get lazy, but I can clean. Organizing though? Ugh shot me. I am such a clutter bug. I'm working on it, but still. 

Such clutter. Much adulting to learn.

Anniversary
  • Options
    TrixieJessTrixieJess member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Nope, I'm with you--cleaning is just not a huge priority for either of us. (We both love it when the apartment is nice and tidy for company, but keeping it that way? We suck). I don't like, wallow in filth, but I currently have a few dishes that need to go in the dishwasher, there is clutter all over my living room, and I haven't been "caught up" with laundry in what feels like years.

I like to think things would be a bit different if I had a house that lent itself to entertaining. Even just having more space for shit would mean I could have a catchall room/basement for all the stuff that seems to sneak into places it doesn't belong.

FI is out of town till Thursday, so I'm planning a huge tidying up party for myself on Wednesday night--I think he will be pleased! I'm going to throw out the coffee table that just gathers clutter.
    This makes me feel so much better lol. Seriously, sometimes I look around at all the clutter and mess, and then I look at FI and say, "Are we gross? Are we just failing at being adults?" 

I mean, I am DEFINITELY gross. I need a wife. Not like, a real-life wife, who is a person. But rather the antiquated, patriarchal, oppressive notion of Wife, the person who picks up after you, cooks for you, schedules your life, and does so with a smile!

_________BOXES ______WTF_________BOXES________________________

I always talked about starting a company that did this! A rent-a-wife service (no sex). They would cook, clean and June Cleaver it up, serve you a martini and go home.

ETA: Boxes
  • Options
    KatieinBklnKatieinBkln member
    First Answer First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

I always talked about starting a company that did this! A rent-a-wife service (no sex). They would cook, clean and June Cleaver it up, serve you a martini and go home.

I believe it is pretty clear that I will be your first customer.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Our house is generally tidy but not super clean, at least not by y'all's standards. Dishes and mail are taken care of, bed is made, but don't ask the last time I washed the sheets or scrubbed the floors. I go nuts and clean the ceiling fan blades, door jams and areas around light switches, baseboards, etc. MAYBE twice a year.

• Options
    twoleighstwoleighs member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    My dad is a hoarder so I grew up with small pathways around crap.  I went to the other extreme. I cannot stand clutter!  I generally keep our apartment clean and clutter-free.  FI doesn't *really* care.  

I typically wash the dishes after they're used.  I don't like using the dishwasher.  No clue why.  But the dishes are always clean and put away.  

We recently bought a Roomba.  THE BEST THING EVER.  We have it set on a timer to run every day while we're at work.  I'm still working on getting our cat to ride it.  ;)

ETA: I typically do one small load of laundry every other day. Works perfect for keeping up and I don't have to spend a whole day on it.  I got that brilliant idea from FMIL.  :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options

@ashley8918 When I was 19 I got in a fight with the GM at Applebee's because I was a server and I refused to wash down the walls. If it was a slow time like 3pm we were supposed to do dishes and wash walls. I said fuck you- I'm making $2 an hour to serve food. The dishwasher is making $9 a hour to do those things.

No, never done that in my house. Even my baseboards are full of cat fur and I don't clean them. I'm just as bad as you.

• Options
    Most of the time (90%?) I would not be mortified if random guests stopped by without notice.

I try to keep the place clean and clutter free but I'm not always good at it and DH is way messier than I am.  It is usually presentable enough that I could do a quick clean with 15-20 minutes notice to get it up to my normal standards.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    twoleighs said:

My dad is a hoarder so I grew up with small pathways around crap.  I went to the other extreme. I cannot stand clutter!  I generally keep our apartment clean and clutter-free.  FI doesn't *really* care.  

I typically wash the dishes after they're used.  I don't like using the dishwasher.  No clue why.  But the dishes are always clean and put away.  

We recently bought a Roomba.  THE BEST THING EVER.  We have it set on a timer to run every day while we're at work.  I'm still working on getting our cat to ride it.  ;)

ETA: I typically do one small load of laundry every other day. Works perfect for keeping up and I don't have to spend a whole day on it.  I got that brilliant idea from FMIL.  :)

If I didn't have to use a laundromat and actually had in-unit laundry, I would do it every damn day!

I like the idea of the Roomba--although I think my dog would freak out and try to kill it...
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options

Pretty damn clean. 

My standard of what makes a house "clean" = clean right down to washed slip covers on pillows, clean windows, washed walls, wiped down baseboards, furniture moved to vacuum, etc.

Admittedly, I was (am to DH) an annoying roommate because "wiping down the counters" is not "clean" to me. 

On the flip side though, I can be messy. And there's a difference. I lack a system for shoes so my shoes are scattered all over the place. Likewise with purses, mail, shopping bags, etc. 
    Lol I drive FI crazy sometimes with how meticulous I get. He seriously thinks cleaning the bathroom is wiping off the counter and scrubbing the inside of the toilet. So he'll say, "I cleaned the bathroom!" And I'll say, "Did you do the floors? Wash the bath mat? The mirrors? Scrub out the inside of the tub? Wipe down the walls? Do the baseboards? The toilet seat (both sides)?" And he just rolls his eyes at me. 
    This is us.  And DH usually wants a prize for cleaning out the sink.  lol
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options

But if such a robot existed, men wouldn't get married anymore! They would have no need for human wives! 

SEX... they still need that lol

• Options
    I would consider our house pretty clean all the time. I clean every Saturday and do laundry on Saturday and Sundays. 

I'm do most of the cooking and loathe doing dishes so DH does them. He has the kitchen clean when I get home from work and I cook and put stuff in the sink, and he does them that night or the next day before I get home.

When I vacuum on Saturdays, I also vacuum our furniture and flip the cushions.

I usually have to vacuum or sweep two other times during the week right now because the dogs are shedding.

• Options

SEX... they still need that lol

Don't need a wife for that...
    *********************************************************************************

• Options

Pretty damn clean. 

My standard of what makes a house "clean" = clean right down to washed slip covers on pillows, clean windows, washed walls, wiped down baseboards, furniture moved to vacuum, etc.

Admittedly, I was (am to DH) an annoying roommate because "wiping down the counters" is not "clean" to me. 

On the flip side though, I can be messy. And there's a difference. I lack a system for shoes so my shoes are scattered all over the place. Likewise with purses, mail, shopping bags, etc. 
    Lol I drive FI crazy sometimes with how meticulous I get. He seriously thinks cleaning the bathroom is wiping off the counter and scrubbing the inside of the toilet. So he'll say, "I cleaned the bathroom!" And I'll say, "Did you do the floors? Wash the bath mat? The mirrors? Scrub out the inside of the tub? Wipe down the walls? Do the baseboards? The toilet seat (both sides)?" And he just rolls his eyes at me. 

OMG one time I went to visit FI at the condo he was sharing with our friend before we moved in together. FI is pretty tidy but he do.not.clean. I went into his bathroom and said your sink is really gross when was the last time you cleaned it? He said well I wash my hands with soap so that's cleaning. 

I nearly peed myself laughing so hard. He was like please don't tell your girlfriends this at girls night. I was like yeah sure ok. *immediately texted all my friends*
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    My house is cleaner than my parent's house and that is enough of an accomplishment for me.

I just don't prioritize cleaning. If it's between doing a workout, hanging out with friends, prepping meals for the week, giving the dog some much needed love vs cleaning - well the first options will win. ALWAYS. It's not a totally filthy house, but there's definitely little spots of clutter, almost always a dirty dish or two in the sink, and a little dust here and there.
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

And I'll be the star employee. I would LOVE to get paid for that crap.

But I'm an exec assistant, which is pretty much rent-a-wife for the office anyway.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

twoleighs said:

If I didn't have to use a laundromat and actually had in-unit laundry, I would do it every damn day!

I like the idea of the Roomba--although I think my dog would freak out and try to kill it...
    The apartment we used to live in required us to go to a laundromat (we used to do laundry about every two weeks).  In-unit laundry was a must have when we were searching for our new apartment.  Which is probably why I do it every other day.  Because I can :D  But I can certainly appreciate not having it.

The Roomba really freaked our cat out at first.  We had to supervise the two together for a couple of days.  Then he figured out that if he was laying in the floor in the way of the Roomba, he just had to stick his paw out and it would stop the Roomba and redirect it.  Now he chases it around and gets in the way for fun.  I have no idea how the floor gets clean.  ;)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Options
    We don't have in-unit laundry, but our complex has several laundry rooms scattered throughout the property (garden apartments, 4 units per building). Up until this year, our laundry room was directly beneath our kitchen so doing laundry at least once a week was no big thing. They just recently closed our laundry room (it wasn't handicap accessible), so we have to go up the hill to big renovated laundry room. Not a problem in the spring/summer/fall when it's nice out but it sucked balls going up the icy hill during the winter!

And... people make their beds? I'm pretty sure I haven't done that since junior high!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Options

We don't have in-unit laundry, but our complex has several laundry rooms scattered throughout the property (garden apartments, 4 units per building). Up until this year, our laundry room was directly beneath our kitchen so doing laundry at least once a week was no big thing. They just recently closed our laundry room (it wasn't handicap accessible), so we have to go up the hill to big renovated laundry room. Not a problem in the spring/summer/fall when it's nice out but it sucked balls going up the icy hill during the winter!

And... people make their beds? I'm pretty sure I haven't done that since junior high!
    Oh no. H makes the bed. I do not.

• Options
    novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Same here. The only time I make the bed is when I change the sheets. But FI makes it every day. Mostly to keep the dogs from putting toy debris in the sheets. 
  • Options

I HAVE to have the bed made every day. even if it is right before I get back in it. Something about messy sheets makes me so uncomfortable. 

• Options

Same here. The only time I make the bed is when I change the sheets. But FI makes it every day. Mostly to keep the dogs from putting toy debris in the sheets. 
    If by make you mean pull the comforter up and walk away- then yes I do. I refuse to believe there is anyone out there who actually tucks in the sheets and lines up pillows like hotel staff.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

If by make you mean pull the comforter up and walk away- then yes I do. I refuse to believe there is anyone out there who actually tucks in the sheets and lines up pillows like hotel staff.
    I once tried to do the fancy bed with the pretty throw pillows and a fancy throw blanket across the foot of the bed like I always see in magazines and stuff. Day 1, as soon as it was bedtime, I knocked all those throw pillows onto the floor and the blanket across the end scooted off onto the floor. Those things all stayed on the floor for weeks until I re-allocated them to other rooms where they would be less annoying. So yeah... no. 
  • Options
    amelishaamelisha member
    First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    I told FI when we first started dating that I wouldn't move in with him unless they moved to an apartment with in-suite laundry, so I hear you guys. I could never handle the laundromat or even the shared-floor ones. Such a princess, but I do ten loads of laundry a week (...I know. But it's sheets/blankets/bathroom towels/kitchen stuff/FI's work stuff/FI's darks/FI's whites/my colours/my whites/my delicates) and I'd spend my whole life dealing with it if I didn't have it easily accessible.

ETA: and the bed-making...FI gets up last and doesn't do it so I do it as soon as I get home from work or wherever. Even if I'm just going to bed. I don't sleep well if the sheets aren't all straightened out and everything.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards