Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

How's my menu? <6 weeks to go!

So, we're doing BBQ for dinner, but having a slightly more traditional cocktail hour. Here's what I'm planning on so far:

Cocktail Hours passed apps:
-Mozzarella, basil and cherry tomato skewers
-Shrimp cocktail with marinara sauce
-Mini crab cakes with cajun tarter sauce
-Stuffed mushrooms
-Spanakopita

BBQ Dinner catered by local smokehouse (buffet)
-Mixed green salad (not sure what dressing yet)
-BBQ pulled pork
-Texas-style fried chicken
-Marinated steak with mushrooms and onions
-Garlic mashed potatoes
-Baked mac and cheese
-Cornbread

Dessert
-Chocolate cake with oreo filling and vanilla buttercream frosting

We will have 2-3 vegetarians. Do I need to get some sort of vegetarian entree for them? I could ask my main caterer (the one doing the cocktail hour) to add half a tray of a vegetarian lasagna or something, but then do I just make sure the vegetarians know to ask for that, or is there enough non-meat options to fill them up? 

Please let me know if you think this menu is okay or if anything else needs to be added/changed!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: How's my menu? &lt;6 weeks to go!

• Please save me some of those crab cakes and stuffed mushroom!

I'm wondering if the caterer can do the mac and cheese as a main entree for the vegetarians? The rest looks DELISH!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• @cu97tiger - I don't even like mushrooms, but these ones were SO GOOD.

Everything is being served buffet-style, so anyone would be able to ask for no meat and extra "sides".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think a vegetarian lasagna or even just order a little bit more mac n' cheese would be great! Your menu looks so tasty!
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    Can I please crash your wedding and eat all the mac n' cheese? I'm not vegetarian but I'd be 100% content with a giant plate of mac n' cheese.

• @LaBro - right??? I mean, I love meat, but I would (and will) probably just eat a plate of mac and cheese, mashed potatoes, and cornbread with a little BBQ sauce to dip everything into....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'll have a little of everything, thank you.

Anniversary

• I would eat the shit out of your wedding buffet. Especially the mac and cheese. 

I went to a wedding that ran out of mac and cheese. It was the saddest I've ever been. I'm still hurting a year later. Don't let that happen to you!
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915 - and anyone else....

The BBQ place said that a full tray contains about 15 servings. As of right now, we're expecting 83 guests (which includes some small children). Here is what my current ordering plan is:

6 trays of each meat - technically one serving of EACH meat per person (I may skew towards more pulled pork and less of the other two). I'm guessing most people won't want all three different kinds of meats.

9 trays each of mashed potatoes and mac and cheese - so 135 servings of each

150 pieces of cornbread 

Enough? My biggest fear is not having enough food...

I'm also considering ordering a tray of something beforehand just to make sure their estimated serving sizes are accurate

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I want it all!!!
  • I guess how much is "a serving". Because Americans (in general) tend to think "a serving" is much larger than it actually is... Especially when they're serving themselves. So another question - is the buffet self service or caterer served?
    *********************************************************************************

• @southernbelle0915 - caterer-served

You'll probably be ok then. You're having kick ass apps right before all this, so people won't be famished going to the buffet (and having eyes bigger than their stomachs).

• i would see if the smokehouse can do something vegetarian for those who dont eat meat are they vegetarians or vegans. if they are vegans no dairy cheese etc but if vegetarians they can do cheese dairy. maybe like a lasagna for them but then you might get other meat eaters that want the lasagna so i would order enough of something else that both the non meat eaters and the meat eaters could enjoy. i would be pissed off if there was a tray of something with veggies in ex lasagna or pasta and only three people could enjoy it. 
  • While I'm sure the vegetarians could get by with the non-meat sides, what about at least adding something like grilled vegetables (or grilled vegetable skewers)?    Something like red onion, mushrooms, red pepper, and zucchini?  That would at least make it a little less carb heavy.  Or see if the smokehouse has a way to do a smoked/grilled tofu or seitan?  I'd be a little reluctant to add veggie lasagna because you already have a (presumably vegetarian) pasta option.  Protein and/or veggies would be ideal.  Or maybe add a cold bean salad in addition to the garden salad?  Something like black bean and corn salad or similar (like Texas caviar)?  That would tie in nicely with the rest of the menu as well.
  • I was thinking about adding some nice grilled veggies. The caterer for cocktail hour is providing the staff and also the salad, so I would go to them for any vegetarian additions. I think grilled vegetable skewers would be awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This sounds delicious!
  • I'm really late to this, but god damn that sounds good.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards