Attire & Accessories Forum

Tuxes - Uniformity?

Hi all,

I am a little less than 6 months out from the big day, and in the next few weeks, my fiance and I will be starting the process of getting him measured for a tux and determining colors/style.  His 4 groomsmen will also be in tuxes, but I also have my father and my bridesman to consider.  

My question is this:  is every male participant in the wedding party "supposed to" wear the same tux?  I was thinking my father's might be a little different (plus or minus a vest, or slightly different shade or something), and my bridesman's would be different because it seems reasonable that he would be differentiated from the groomsmen (again, not huge differences).

Am I WAY overthinking this?  Do I just put every guy in the same thing?

Guidance appreciated!

Re: Tuxes - Uniformity?

• MGS08 said:

Hi all,

I am a little less than 6 months out from the big day, and in the next few weeks, my fiance and I will be starting the process of getting him measured for a tux and determining colors/style.  His 4 groomsmen will also be in tuxes, but I also have my father and my bridesman to consider.  

My question is this:  is every male participant in the wedding party "supposed to" wear the same tux?  I was thinking my father's might be a little different (plus or minus a vest, or slightly different shade or something), and my bridesman's would be different because it seems reasonable that he would be differentiated from the groomsmen (again, not huge differences).

Am I WAY overthinking this?  Do I just put every guy in the same thing?

Guidance appreciated!
    Your dad isn't part of the wedding party unless he's standing up on your side your FI's side. He can wear whatever he wants.

As for your bridesman, have you asked for his budget for attire? If so and the tuxes for the other guys are within budget, I would put him in a tux. If not, ask him to get a black suit that fits his budget.
    *********************************************************************************

• If your groom is in a tux then the rest of the people in your wedding party should be dressed to the same formality level, so a tux.

But like southern said, you need to ask people their budgets prior to picking out a tux.

As for your Dad, he isn't part of the wedding party so he can wear whatever he wants.

• Tuxedos do not need to exactly match, but they should be the same color.  (Black, I hope!)
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • DH wore a tux, and so did his groomsman.  The groomsman had a different color vest.  The two fathers also wore a tux with a different color vest as well.  The fathers can wear anything they'd like though (both our fathers wanted to match the formality of the WP).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards