Wedding Recap and Withdrawal

Thank you notes

Help! What is the proper way to thank some one who gave you money?

Re: Thank you notes

• Just write them as you normally would a TY note. Just don't mention that is was money or the dollar amount. Say thank you for your gift, we will put it to good use buying either a specific item or something for your house, kitchen, etc.

When I was writing ours, in the second paragraph, I always thanked them again for coming and how much it meant to us to be a part of our special day.
  • I usually put "thank you for your generous gift"

• I put thank you for your generous gift and listed what I would be buying with it.  For most people, I put that it would go towards a specific new furniture item that I was buying.  If it was a small amount (25 or 50 bucks)  that clearly you could not buy furniture with, I put a new place setting or artwork for our new home.  
  • In my hometown monetary gifts are very common, so 90% of our TY notes were for cash gifts.  I made no mention of what we were doing with the money.  if people really wanted to know or wanted you to get something specific they would have bought off your registry.  And honestly, we just used the money to pay off whatever we owed from the wedding still and put the rest in savings.  People don't want or need to know that. 

Our TY cards said something like "Thank you so much for the generous wedding gift.  We were so glad to be able to celebrate our wedding day with you.  Some of our favorite pictures are of you dancing with my great-grandma on the dance floor.  You definitely made the night so much more fun."  I would much rather get a card that i can tell you took the time to think about and personalize to me than one where you tell me what you're doing with my cash i gave you.   

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Mostly I wrote...

Thank you for sharing our special day with us, and thank you for your very generious gift.  We greatly appreciate it and hope that you truly had a wonderful time!

• For any money $100 or above we'll right that we're putting it in a savings account to go towards the purchase of our first home.

For anything less, we'll say small items or thoughtful and useful gift.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards