Chit Chat

PreWedding Race

Re: PreWedding Race

• @flantastic - that's fair.

@ashley8918 - funny that I'm called out as Judgy McJudge Pants when most of this post's commentary has been judging OP's plans.

• Judging is still judging.  It shouldn't matter the context.

Yes, I failed to take into consideration that people need to set up for their own weddings.  I was fortunate enough to not have to do that.  I could see why that could be stressful.

And sorry @Stephamaboble, I don't have any team names for you.  But good luck whatever you decide to do!

• chraron said:

Judging is still judging.  It shouldn't matter the context.

Yes, I failed to take into consideration that people need to set up for their own weddings.  I was fortunate enough to not have to do that.  I could see why that could be stressful.

And sorry @Stephamaboble, I don't have any team names for you.  But good luck whatever you decide to do!

Okay. Then there are contexts when judging is totally appropriate. This is one.
  • chraron said:

Why?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• @chraron - our timeline included a leisurely brunch/lunch while getting ready, taking photos, hanging out a bit, driving to/from the salon, driving to the ceremony from the B&B where we got ready... For literally just hair, make-up, and putting clothes on, we could have easily been ready in 3 hours. But we would have been rushed.

It's kind of ironic that someone who's all "stop judging!" starts out with judging everyone else. Happens every time and never fails. Thanks for at least being consistent. 
    QFT. When you tell someone not to judge, you are judging their judging. It's an inescapable fact. But remember guys, judging people is never cool. Whether they are thinking of running a mud race the day of their wedding, or don't think they should vaccinate their children, it's totes not cool to judge ANYONE. Why? Because it's mean, I guess.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• chraron said:

lol really? It shouldn't matter? So someone telling me that I'm a bad person for being Jewish and someone telling me that I'm a bad person for kicking puppies is EXACTLY the same thing? Context doesn't matter there? Really? 
  • redoryx said:

chraron said:

Thanks for the timeline.  I've been through it.

I had 6 bridesmaids, 2 flowergirls, & 2 moms getting ready with me for my wedding.  Everyone had updos and about half opted for airbrush makeup as opposed to regular makeup. Hair, makeup, breakfast, mimosas, pre-wedding pictures, lunch, flower delivery, transportation to venue, first look only took us 5 hours.

1) that's only 2 hours less than the 7 you're judging

2) As has been pointed out, some people have to do set up work at the venue. That shit takes time.

And most of us included the WP pictures in the pre-wedding timing, not just first look (which takes all of what, 15 minutes?). I had 2 hours of pre-wedding pictures - that's the extra 2 hours you're judging.
    This. I'm planning about two hours of pre-wedding pictures so I can, ya know, actually spend time with my guests at the wedding. HORROR. I'm not going to waste their time by being late so I run around the in mud. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • novella1186novella1186 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

chraron said:

lol really? It shouldn't matter? So someone telling me that I'm a bad person for being Jewish and someone telling me that I'm a bad person for kicking puppies is EXACTLY the same thing? Context doesn't matter there? Really? 
    Because when you judge people you could hurt their feelings, and that would be baaad. I'm sorry, but I'm getting a little annoyed at the idea that we should respect the ideas of others all the time always even when they're bad (crossover with the vax thread here: a former professor made this whiny FB post about how pro-vaxxers shouldn't judge anti vax people like him because it's mean). I'm a pretty sensitive person and even I don't think there's always a need to tiptoe around someone's feelings. For Pete's sake.
    ---------------lost my box-------------------------------------------

Ditto this. I depend on you ladies to tell me when my bad ideas are bad or when I'm acting like an idiot. I would be hurt if you all lied and pretended it was a good thing to do, and then it blew up in my face later. 
  • @chraron - our timeline included a leisurely brunch/lunch while getting ready, taking photos, hanging out a bit, driving to/from the salon, driving to the ceremony from the B&B where we got ready... For literally just hair, make-up, and putting clothes on, we could have easily been ready in 3 hours. But we would have been rushed.

It's kind of ironic that someone who's all "stop judging!" starts out with judging everyone else. Happens every time and never fails. Thanks for at least being consistent. 
    I didn't have to set up my venue either. But we planned 6 hours for 6 people getting ready (1 MUA and 1 hair stylist). This is what they recommended as to not be late. Makes sense doesn't it? We only needed less than 4 hours. I got to relax with my friends and drink wine. I hate being rushed, and I didn't have to worry about the time. I also didn't have to go anywhere, because the stylists came to me. 

You had 10 people get ready in less than 5 hours? And you did pictures and transport? You must have had more than stylist for hair and makeup then. Because this means it took less than half and hour for each person. My hairstylist was fast, but that's absurd. 

• I had my first wedding dream and I blame this thread entirely! I was late for the wedding because I didn't even realize it was the wedding day until 4pm. (add my MOH was a rando chick from highschool).

Lateness is stressful.

• chraron said:

Well that's just total bullshit.

If you see someone running down the street carrying you're going to judge them and say "That person is dangerous" this judgement is a good judgement and fair one to make.

If you see someone with tattoos walking down the street and you judge them and say "That person is dangerous" that is a bad judgement and not a fair one to make.

Get it?
  • jacques27jacques27 member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    So yesterday, despite giving myself at least a 15 minute buffer, I was 45 minutes late for a meeting because there was debris in the road that we ended up running over and caused pretty significant damage to the vehicle. Today, a coworker just texted me that he's going to be back from an appt several hours later than originally planned because he ran over a nail.

Stuff happens. And sure it may happen whether you run the race or not. But running the race will give you no buffer. you've invested hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars and dozens of people you presumably love and respect are investing time and money to share in this occasion with you. You may not be able to plan for everything, but why would you risk and potentially your investment in this day taking a chance on something entirely in your control that is guaranteed to make your day rushed at best and potentially a complete waste of your time and money? That's just poor prioritization and decision making skills there. I at least hope you're only wasting your money if you go through with it and your family didn't chip in.
  • edited April 2015
    So excited to see those who combine their interest with their wedding, good for you!! I think this mud run is like a a part of ceremony which indicates your life afterwards. With your loved ones, you will march forward bravely and the muddy path of life and taste the happiness of fulfillment. Doing this may sound crazy but it will be one of  the most treasured memories of you life! 

Follow your heart and I suggest that we call the team the fantasy of mud.
  • So excited to see those who combine their interest with their wedding, good for you!! I think this mud run is like a a part of ceremony which indicates your life afterwards. With your loved ones, you will march forward bravely and the muddy path of life and taste the happiness of fulfillment. Doing this may sound crazy but it will be one of  the most treasured memories of you life! 

This is that person on the ground yelling "Jump!" to someone standing on the ledge of a building contemplating suicide.
  • So excited to see those who combine their interest with their wedding, good for you!! I think this mud run is like a a part of ceremony which indicates your life afterwards. With your loved ones, you will march forward bravely and the muddy path of life and taste the happiness of fulfillment. Doing this may sound crazy but it will be one of  the most treasured memories of you life! 

----

Did OP make a new account just to write this?? Oh dear.
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
  • mj8215 said:

So excited to see those who combine their interest with their wedding, good for you!! I think this mud run is like a a part of ceremony which indicates your life afterwards. With your loved ones, you will march forward bravely and the muddy path of life and taste the happiness of fulfillment. Doing this may sound crazy but it will be one of  the most treasured memories of you life! 

----

Did OP make a new account just to write this?? Oh dear.
    All signs point to Yes. 
  • auonealauoneal member
    First Comment
    edited April 2015
    If you ask me, no explanation was necessary.  You started with 'we are doing this' and apparently no one listens.  I THINK THIS IS AWESOME!!  Maybe something like 'Running to our Future' or something that would include you two as a couple and the bridal party could be 'Running for Team Bride/ Team Groom.'  Idk if that is too cutesy but something that included everyone doing it with you would be a nice nod that they are backing you up, even in the mud.  Again, I THINK THIS IS SUCH A COOL IDEA!  Have a blast!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards