Wedding Etiquette Forum

Bus or No Bus

We have having our ceremony and reception at the W hotel in downtown Boston, MA. I'm so excited but this also caused a parking problem. The W doesn't include parking in our package. They do have parking for guest but it will be 30 per person. Right now the plan is to have a bus pick people up at the three locations and then drop people off. We have blocked rooms at two other hotels to make it affordable for everyone. We were going to have people sign up for the bus and have the bus go to each hotel and then to a parking lot to pick other people up. They then will be dropped off at the W. This is only going to be 1300.00 but it's lot when you think about how much you are already spending per couple.

Does this seems like something I should do or is it not necessary?

Re: Bus or No Bus

• People can figure out how to get around in the downtown of a city themselves if they choose not to stay in the hotel where the actual event is.

I assume the other blocked hotels are also in downtown Boston? If you want to be really nice to your guests you could set up an Uber promo code and pay for people's cab/Uber rides, would still be less than the $1300. 
  • How many guests are you inviting to your wedding? because for $1,300 you could pay for 43 parked cars. I assume couples will mostly travel together and some people may car pool. Is that enough? 

Logistically, you'd need to have the bus for the whole night. Because people don't all arrive to the reception at the same time or leave at the same time. So ideally, you'd need this bus to drive in a constant loop all night. 

Plus, are there local people (not staying at the hotels) who are invited? Are you planning to tell them they need to park at an offsite hotel and be bussed in?
    *********************************************************************************

• japlanet said:

If you want to be really nice to your guests you could set up an Uber promo code and pay for people's cab/Uber rides, would still be less than the $1300. 

This.

Shuttles are great for weddings in locations where there aren't as many options to get around. But in a city like Boston, where you've got the T, cabs, and parking (2 garages near the W, albeit pricey), it's better to take advantage of that flexibility.

Uber has an excess of drivers in Boston, so rates tend to stay low. Promo code is such a great call. No one will have to drive, it'll be cheaper & nicer than buses, and we won't have more out-of-towners attempting to navigate our sign-less one-way streets.
  • In downtown Boston, I wouldn't worry about it.  If I was invited to a wedding in downtown Boston, I would just find myself a hotel that was either walking distance to the venue, or that could easily be reached via public transportation, or I'd call myself a cab.  I wouldn't expect this to be covered.

However, if you're worried about a lot of people wanting to park cars at the hotel, you can probbaly plunk down a credit card and tell the hotel you'd like to get parking vouchers for your guests and then for anyone that uses one your card would be charged.  I'm willing to bet that less than $1300 worth of cars will be parking there (unless a lot of guests are actually staying at the hotel for the weekend - but that's another situation entirely; they should carry no assumptions that parking would be covered by you).  Just stick the vouchers in a visible location at the reception (maybe by coat check if you have one) and whoever drove into the deck just for the night can grab one.

• Thank you everyone. I think you all are right in terms of not worrying about it. I was going to have people sign up for the shuttle. The Logistics of it I think are just really all over the place. Here is a follow up question, is 35 too much to ask for people to pay for parking?
  • This is very true.
  • Thank you everyone. I think you all are right in terms of not worrying about it. I was going to have people sign up for the shuttle. The Logistics of it I think are just really all over the place. Here is a follow up question, is 35 too much to ask for people to pay for parking?

Yes, I think it's way too much.
    *********************************************************************************

Yes, I would find that outrageous. With that 1300, you should cover guest parking at the venue or at a parking garage adjacent to the venue. 
  • The Parking for the W, at the event rate, is 34 dollars for up to 8 hours. So, 1300 wouldn't cover it. :-(

• The Parking for the W, at the event rate, is 34 dollars for up to 8 hours. So, 1300 wouldn't cover it. :-(

What about the suggestion a PP had that you could cover it at a nearby garage that is within walking distance?
  • I just looked and there is one that is right around the corner. People can book ahead of time and it is only 20 dollars for 8am - 11:30. The wedding starts at 6:00 and ends at 11:45ish. So, i'm guessing that I should pay. at 150 per person that would be 3,000.
  • I just looked and there is one that is right around the corner. People can book ahead of time and it is only 20 dollars for 8am - 11:30. The wedding starts at 6:00 and ends at 11:45ish. So, i'm guessing that I should pay. at 150 per person that would be 3,000.

Are you having 300+ people?  You of course could be, but assuming you are not and are having 150 guests like I *think* your above post says, the parking won't be charged per person, it will be per vehicle... and hopefully at least a few of your guests are carpooling or will not be using the garage at all.  I never drive myself to a wedding if I can help it, and if I lived close by or were staying in the city, I would take a cab/Uber/the T so that I wouldn't need to worry about having a DD for later.

• We are getting married at the Westin in Copley.  They were $20 per vehicle for the event.  Not sure if you could look into near this hotel for a block, but there is a deal on gilt group for $15 valet at the Westin Copley.  I found a promo code and brought it down to $12.  I wouldn't pay for buses to the venue, cabs/T are so easily available, that is people get drunk they can hop in a cab.  Nice though if you have the $$.  I did get buses to bring people back and fourth to our church though, just because it was part of the wedding.  The deal I think is good till September, not sure when you are getting married.

How many people are you having? I think in general, people should not have to pay for parking if they are only there for your reception. People staying overnight are not your responsibility. The problem is Boston is expensive, and for people that don't know the different garages, it can be moreso.

The Boston common garage is not too far a walk to the W hotel, and I know they used to have 11 dollar parking after 5pm. Maybe you can have a map with the different garages and their costs. I think if you can, you should try to pay for the people who do park at the W, and only stay for your reception.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards