Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Dying a vintage dress?

I looked through the archives as best I could and didn't see anything quite matching this so here it goes...

I purchased a white 50's chiffon party dress to wear , but is just so plain. I am toying with the idea of dip dying it to add some color, but it is a very, very old dress. Does any one have experience with something like this or can point me in a direction?

I'm attempting to attach photos of my dress (plain) and the idea of what I want to achieve, but since I am on my phone I am not so sure it worked.

Thank you in advance for any help!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Dying a vintage dress?

• Options
    Dying is always a gamble. There are no guarantees on what will happen. If you're working with a very old dress, the dye chemicals can damage the fabric, or have surprise color chemical reactions. So, if you're not really hung up on a specific exact color, great. 

If there isn't an existing fabric tag (of course there usually isn't) you'll have to use your best guess as to the actual fabric content, before you choose your dye. Most pre 1970 chiffons are nylon, rather than polyester, so Dylon is your best bet for a dye. (See what they did there? Heh.) Idye poly would be my second choice.

Keep in mind that different layers of different fabrics will take the dye in varied colors. I've dyed fabric gray that came out cornflower frikking blue, for whatever weird chemical reason. 

If there's excess fabric inside, along a seam line or lining, trim a couple of tiny pieces out to use as a test strip. Time how long it takes to get the color you want. Don't just rinse, but rinse and dry to see the accurate result. 

Use the biggest dye tub you can, hottest possible water. A giant plastic storage bin from a thrift store is great.

When you boil your dye powder to dissolve it, keep the pan covered. The steam will be dyed steam, and this is why I have gray blue speckles all over my cupboard and range hood. (Crap.)

When you add the boiled dye to your giant tub, strain it through fabric. Even when you boil the hell out of it, there will be speckles and grains left behind, which leave weird speckles and streaks on the fabric.

Wear gloves. It seems obvious, but some people (me) get all excited and forget, and we can be identified by our attractive green gray cuticles. 

Less labor intensive, and kinder to old fabric, and maintaining the historical integrity of the dress-add color and interest with fun colored petticoats. You can find great ones at (of all places) western square dance type places.  

(I want to see your dress! I loooove 50s dresses.) 

• Options
    The pics didn't come out.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it unless you're ok with buying something else if the dye job doesn't pan out. You can always add color via your jewelry, shoes, and flowers. 

Could you add a sparkly belt or have a seamstress embellish any of it with beading? 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    Be very careful when dying old fabrics! Keep in mind that fabrics from the 50s are not synthetic and will more likely hold dye well. Depending on how old the fabric is, it could disintegrate. It also may be more difficult to set and you may have dye run if you sweat.
  • Options

Be very careful when dying old fabrics! Keep in mind that fabrics from the 50s are not synthetic and will more likely hold dye well. Depending on how old the fabric is, it could disintegrate. It also may be more difficult to set and you may have dye run if you sweat.

Sort of true.
    Yes, be careful. But the odds are, it's synthetic. 

Synthetics existed well before the 50s. "Artificial silk" (viscose) was patented before 1900, and acetate "artificial silks" were manufactured in the 20s. Rayon fiber is a 20s thing, as well. Nylon fabric was invented and marketed in the 30s. By the 1950s, synthetics and synthetic blends were in regular daily use. 
    Most vintage formals of that era are acetate silks and taffetas, with nylon crinolines. If the OP is dealing with an actual silk or cotton chiffon party dress, that would be an exception. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I am at work right now so I will add the pictures and leave a longer reply when I get home, but your responses are super helpful!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

Sort of true.
    Yes, be careful. But the odds are, it's synthetic. 

Synthetics existed well before the 50s. "Artificial silk" (viscose) was patented before 1900, and acetate "artificial silks" were manufactured in the 20s. Rayon fiber is a 20s thing, as well. Nylon fabric was invented and marketed in the 30s. By the 1950s, synthetics and synthetic blends were in regular daily use. 
    Most vintage formals of that era are acetate silks and taffetas, with nylon crinolines. If the OP is dealing with an actual silk or cotton chiffon party dress, that would be an exception. 

True. I typed in haste. Most fabrics that I have seen in Vintage stores are the viscose and rayon because it was hearty. It's a bitch to dye. I would take it to someone who does specific restoration work, and it used to working with fabric. If you have a vintage clothing store, find out who their seamstress or tailor is (yes, they will have one).
  • Options
    And truth? You may not even want to dye it. If it's a really good vintage piece, I'll beg you not to. Fair warning.
    I'm excited to see it. I love old things. 
  • Options
    Any plart of the dress that had perspiration stains will take the dye differently than other parts of the dress, and this will emphasize the flaws.  Don't do it.
    httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Ok, here we are, I'm back! I will preface by saying, I am a bit familiar with fabrics, but only on the sewing front, so, I won't even pretend I'd know where to begin with dying, my biggest fears are definitely the integrity of the fabric. I had also planned to do some testing otherwise and not jump right in on this dress, definitely not that brave. However, everyone seems to be confirming what I was suspecting, that this probably isn't a great idea. So unless a magic expert dying fairy comes along for me to pay to do it, it's not turning pink.

@ohannabelle  Your tips are freaking great, I will definitely be using them to try out on something new and more structurally sound, for fun. So thank you!

Thank you for the suggestions for adding color.The dress is in pretty spectacular condition, its a little off white from aging, so I am still considering having it professionally restored. I plan to wear a bright pink crinoline to give it some extra "flounce", and already planned to wear some equally pink heels. There is just so much white! I am very, very fair skinned, so white clothing tends to wash me out, so I definitely need to add some color in my outfit somehow.
    As for adding a belt, I also considered adding a pink ribbon at the waist, between my mother and I with our sewing skills, I am confident we could do this and not harm the dress, BUT I am starting to think that might look odd with the placement of the ruching.

My favorite part of this dress is the sashes down the back. Any other suggestions for adding a little color are welcome and appreciated.

On to the dress. There are two of my dress, and one of what I was hoping to accomplish something similar to (now just adding because...its awesome looking)

(Hopefully I did this tagging and posting pictures thing right, first time on both.)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    It is absolutely great, and I love everything about it. 
    I'm glad you aren't dying it, and I don't have to talk you out of it. 
    (Even though the dyed dress is indeed awesome.)

I love the shoes and petticoats thing, and agree with not sashing the ruched waist.
    It's hard to suggest things without knowing your style, but the easiest way to add color is going to be with jewelry.
    There are so many gorgeous vintage things out there:

imageimageimage
    If you don't want too much vintage, there are loads of beautiful modern things.

Or you could do a kind of brooch or corsage kind of treatment to one side, at the waist. This sort of technique, like people use for bouquets, but corsage sized:

The dress is so great even just a fantastic brooch would work. Or vintage velvet millenery flowers, or something. Yes. Something.
    (Again, don't know your taste, so just throwing ideas around because how fun is that?) 
  • Options
    I don't know anything about dyeing, just came to say that I love both of the dresses you posted! I love the idea of putting a pink crinoline underneath to add colour. Also, where did you find the inspo picture? I love that dress!
  • Options
    I went to a fancy fabric store that has supplies for wedding dresses. I bought a strip of bedazzled and made a belt out of it. You could do that easy!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    @ohannabelle, I'm just gonna tag you since that reply was awesome huge. I love the brooch corsage idea. I have an adorable pink rhinestone bumblebee brooch that could start it off. I had never even considered this!

My style is definitely not "Classic". I'm not really sure how to describe it, I guess cutesy... not fancy. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    edited April 2015
    larrygaga said:

I went to a fancy fabric store that has supplies for wedding dresses. I bought a strip of bedazzled and made a belt out of it. You could do that easy!

Oh goodness, now I have visions of pink rhinestones running through my head!!!

ETA: (thats a good thing)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I don't know anything about dyeing, just came to say that I love both of the dresses you posted! I love the idea of putting a pink crinoline underneath to add colour. Also, where did you find the inspo picture? I love that dress!

I googled "pink dip dyed vintage wedding dress" ha! Its about 40 pictures in. It linked to an article that I now cannot get to open for some reason...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I once got some wide ombre sheer ribbon that varied from dark magenta to pale pink and added crystal embellishments to it to make a belt for a dress. I looked great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards