Attire & Accessories Forum

Sheath dress altered to a trumpet?

Does anyone know how possible it would be to make a sheath dress more trumpet-like? I love this dress, but I would just like it to be a little more "poofy" after my hips...

Here's a pic of the dress:image

Here's a pic of how I want the bottom to look:image

Can it simply be fixed by added more tulle or crinoline? Can it be done at all? I tried it on with a fit and flare slip, but it didn't do much at all. I'm not sure if it was because the dress was way to long and weighed it down or what... Thanks in advance!

Re: Sheath dress altered to a trumpet?

• The pic of how you wanted it to look didn't come out...

From what I'm trying to picture of what you want, I would just look for a different dress that fits what you want. Unless I'm misunderstanding something, you're talking a major alteration that basically changes the entire silhouette. Sounds expensive and not worth it to me..
    *********************************************************************************

• Well your dress is not a sheath dress.  That is more a modified a-line.  If you want a bit more poof at the bottom then you will need a crinoline/petticoat.

But really I never understand buying a dress and then trying to change it into something else.  If you wanted a trumpet style dress then that is what you should have bought.

• I fell in love with this dress on. (The picture doesn't do it justice because of how it's taken. It shows hardly any detail) it was everything I wanted. I just want it to be a little fuller on bottom. I didn't really go into it thinking, "I'm going to buy it and change it."

The point is, I'm not asking how much it costs, if it makes sense, or if someone else would do it, I'm asking if it's possible.
  • I just attached the picture. Hopefully it works. In my eyes, it doesn't look that major. It hugged my curves way more than the girl in the picture above. I just wanted that extra poof at the bottom, and with how much I adore the dress, that modification is worth it to me. I was just wanting to know if it's possible from a seamstress point of view.
  • I just attached the picture. Hopefully it works. In my eyes, it doesn't look that major. It hugged my curves way more than the girl in the picture above. I just wanted that extra poof at the bottom, and with how much I adore the dress, that modification is worth it to me. I was just wanting to know if it's possible from a seamstress point of view.

You're not going to get that much volume out of the dress you purchased without reconstructing the entire dress.

You can get a little volume with adding crinoline or a petticoat. Talk to a seamstress or order a cheap petticoat online to see how the volume changes with your dress and if you even like it.

Anniversary
  • I don't know of anyone on here who is a seamstress but I think Maggie and chibiyui have it right for the approach a seamstress would probably try to take.

Your best bet is to take the dress in along with the second pic and just ask. They're the professionals and will be able to give you a much better idea seeing the dress in person.
    *********************************************************************************

• I fell in love with this dress on. (The picture doesn't do it justice because of how it's taken. It shows hardly any detail) it was everything I wanted. I just want it to be a little fuller on bottom. I didn't really go into it thinking, "I'm going to buy it and change it."

The point is, I'm not asking how much it costs, if it makes sense, or if someone else would do it, I'm asking if it's possible.

And like I said you can get a slightly fuller bottom with a crinoline.  But with the picture you posted of how you want it to look you won't get that from your actual dress because the two dresses are two completely different styles/shapes.

If you fell in love with the dress as is then why are you wanting to change it?

• I'm sure it's not impossible, but I don't know if it would add what you are looking for. It would probably have to be taken in through the hips and then add a crinoline skirt. 

I'm not a seamstress so that's basically a guess. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • If you haven't ordered the dress yet, ordering up a size or two would help a lot; there will be more to take in on the top, creating a bigger difference between fit and flare. If you've already ordered in your correct size, you probably won't get it nearly as dramatic as the picture unless your seamstress can work out how to add fabric to the skirt, which will be complicated with the multiple layers. Mostly, go with a poofy crinoline and have the dress fitted as snug as you're comfortable from the neckline to the hips, then have the skirt let out if there's anything at all to work with in the seams.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd call a seamstress - that person would know if it is possible. The salon might not be helpful since it would be a big change to the silhouette and they might not be able to do it bc of designer obligations
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards