Chit Chat

S/O: Wedding day timeline

2»

Re: S/O: Wedding day timeline

• kikilamp said:

Also related, did anyone have the photographer take photos of the guys getting ready? Our photography company suggests it, but FI can't see taking more than 15 minutes tying his tie, etc. 

We also only have one photographer, so it makes the timeline tricky... right now we have it set up as: groom getting ready photos, bride getting ready photos, groom & fam & groomsmen, bride & fam & bridesmaids. We aren't doing a first look. But doing this means that FI and his groomsmen have to be ready ridiculously early. 
    Not really. My photographer only took pictures of the women getting their hair and makeup done. I don't have any zipping up shots (my dress had a lower back anyway).

We do have a first look picture of me fixing my husband's tie (staged).

They do have pictures of my husband and the groomsman as well as my brother in law (not a groomsman) drinking and watching the world cup in the common area of the lodge before they got ready.  

• kikilamp said:

Also related, did anyone have the photographer take photos of the guys getting ready? Our photography company suggests it, but FI can't see taking more than 15 minutes tying his tie, etc. 

We also only have one photographer, so it makes the timeline tricky... right now we have it set up as: groom getting ready photos, bride getting ready photos, groom & fam & groomsmen, bride & fam & bridesmaids. We aren't doing a first look. But doing this means that FI and his groomsmen have to be ready ridiculously early. 

My FIL is a photographer, so he took the pictures at the house with the guys getting ready, and they were mostly of MIL putting corsages on the guys.  As long as there's someone there to pick up a camera and snap a few pictures, I think you're good without getting a second pro.
    **The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • kikilamp said:

We also only have one photographer and this is what he suggested, too.  He said to figure out when I want him to arrive for my getting ready photos, then he'll back up an hour and take some photos of Fi and his side.  I think it makes sense for him to arrive at 3:30 (my HMU should be done at 4:00).  He can take detail shots and shots of them finishing my HMU, then I'll get in the dress and he can take pictures of my sister lacing up my dress, helping with shoes, whatever.

We are all in the same location so that means the guys should be getting dressed around 2:00-2:30.  I don't think that's too bad.

And btw for the PPs who asked/mentioned: our HMU is coming to us at the hotel, which is a 5 minute drive from the venue.  So travel time isn't really an issue, thank goodness.
    Perfect... My ceremony is at 6:30 too and it looks like my timeline mirrors yours.. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy. My thought process is that if the guys are ready a couple of hours before the ceremony its NBD, they can take off their jackets to be comfortable, etc. I don't really have the luxury in my dress! :)
  • kikilamp said:

No. We didn't want pictures of anyone getting ready, besides the last minute things like adjusting the veil, tying the tie, whatever. I didn't want pictures of anyone in various states of undress or before we had makeup on. We had 2 photographers and thought they'd split up pre-wedding, but both stayed together and shot different angles at the same time. We still had plenty of time. 

Spoiler alert: most of the nice "getting ready" pictures are fake. Applying that last bit of lipstick, fastening the clasp on a necklace, pinning on a boutonniere or tying a tie can all just be staged whenever the photographer is available to take those pictures. They don't have to happen in realtime. 

• Also related, did anyone have the photographer take photos of the guys getting ready? Our photography company suggests it, but FI can't see taking more than 15 minutes tying his tie, etc. 

No. We didn't want pictures of anyone getting ready, besides the last minute things like adjusting the veil, tying the tie, whatever. I didn't want pictures of anyone in various states of undress or before we had makeup on. We had 2 photographers and thought they'd split up pre-wedding, but both stayed together and shot different angles at the same time. We still had plenty of time. 

Spoiler alert: most of the nice "getting ready" pictures are fake. Applying that last bit of lipstick, fastening the clasp on a necklace, pinning on a boutonniere or tying a tie can all just be staged whenever the photographer is available to take those pictures. They don't have to happen in realtime. 

Yeah, this is pretty much our plan.  We don't need the photog to be there during the whole shebang, just for "finishing touches" which can be staged.  Or skipped.  I'm not sure how I feel about really staged pictures.  For example, he suggested one of those "looking in the mirror" pictures and I said absolutely no.  Sorry to anyone who had them but they just strike me as kind of odd.  I'm not going to gaze lovingly into a hand mirror next to a sunlight-filled window on my wedding day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• kikilamp said:

I specifically asked my photogs not to do this. Personally, I find it stressful to have extra people hovering around me when I'm trying to get ready, and I don't want to worry about looking appropriate for photos while I'm in the process of trying to get dressed. Seems really annoying to me. 

If my BMs have a cute moment while getting ready or something that I feel NEEDS to be captured on film, I can always snap a photo with my phone, but I doubt that will happen. 

And as lolo said, those perfect "getting ready" photos can easily be staged after the fact. 
  • kikilamp said:

We only had a few of the GM and H getting ready - he wasn't interested in having many of those pics taken.

• kikilamp said:

We did. We had two shooters, so one came and hung out with us and the other went to DH's room to take some pictures and watch TV (he accidentally showed up really early).

Our "getting ready" pictures were completely and totally legit. There's pictures of DH shaving, putting his cufflinks on the wrong way, tying his tie too short, and FIL pinning his bout on his jacket - all legitimately taken in real time. The pictures of me and my sisters getting ready were also taken in real time, and I have NO IDEA the photographer was taking pictures. If I didn't, I wouldn't have made such ridiculous faces while putting on my lipstick and mascara.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• kikilamp said:

Our "getting ready" pictures were completely and totally legit. There's pictures of DH shaving, putting his cufflinks on the wrong way, tying his tie too short, and FIL pinning his bout on his jacket - all legitimately taken in real time. The pictures of me and my sisters getting ready were also taken in real time, and I have NO IDEA the photographer was taking pictures. If I didn't, I wouldn't have made such ridiculous faces while putting on my lipstick and mascara.

Our getting ready pictures were also done in real time.  I was so ready to get the show on the road that when it was time for me to get dressed, we got it done.  The pictures of my sister putting in my earrings, Mom putting on my bracelet, sister and BFF studiously figuring out the back of my dress while I talked to my other BFF are all some of my favourite pictures because that's exactly what was happening, right then and there.

There's also a funny picture of me with a really silly look on my face, because sister and BFF had just pulled tight on the back of my dress and I had to suck in really hard.

**The OMH formerly known as jsangel1018**
  • Also related, did anyone have the photographer take photos of the guys getting ready? Our photography company suggests it, but FI can't see taking more than 15 minutes tying his tie, etc. 

We did. We had two shooters, so one came and hung out with us and the other went to DH's room to take some pictures and watch TV (he accidentally showed up really early).

And that's why those pictures were explicitly banned at my wedding. :) But I do love my sister trying not to cry while she put my veil on me. And that was real.

And that's why those pictures were explicitly banned at my wedding. :) But I do love my sister trying not to cry while she put my veil on me. And that was real.

Thanks for all the advice/stories guys... I'm thinking I need to cut down on the "getting ready" shots time.. no more than 30 minutes each. I agree with the pp's who said people hovering is nerve wracking/annoying! Also I get that most of them are staged, but hopefully I get a few legit ones too like you Lolo!

• And that's why those pictures were explicitly banned at my wedding. :) But I do love my sister trying not to cry while she put my veil on me. And that was real.

I was too drunk to stop anyone from taking pictures while I was getting ready! My sisters totally hammed it up for the camera, though. Hilarious pictures.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• huskypuppy14huskypuppy14 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    My BMs and I kicked our photographer out of our bridal suite area. "Ok, we're getting our dresses on now, go shoot some pictures of the guys, bye!'' Then we locked the door. 

My mom was trying to get in while I was half naked and my sisters were trying to get my dress over my head. She's all, but I'm the mom. Too bad so sad, we're not opening the door while I'm half naked.

• I don't want to make a whole new thread for this, so on a somewhat related note, what were your timelines like after the ceremony? That's what I'm struggling with the most. For those that had a receiving line, how long did that take (and how many guests did you have)?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited April 2015
    @erinkelsey3 we had a receiving line after our ceremony, mostly because our ceremony ended up being a bit shorter than I thought it would and I wanted to eat up some more time. We had about 200 guests (although maybe a dozen didn't make it to the ceremony) and it went pretty fast, about 15 minutes, because it was only H and I receiving people - quick hug and go. However, I found out after the fact that our venue coordinator shuttled some people away through the side door to cocktail hour to make it go faster. That made me a little crabby. We had the time!

So let's say that was... ceremony 4-4:20 or so, receiving line til 4:35 ish, sign the marriage license, then family pictures. We did grandparents first, indoors in front of our ceremony arch (moved inside at last minute due to chilly wind) then WP outside. It was a bit of a challenge to wrangle the WP back from the bar - we lost them in 2 minutes! 15 minutes or so each for WP pics, family pics, B&G pics.

Grand entrance at about 5:45, immediately cut the cake, sit down. blessing, then salad course served during toasts. The rest of the timing is a little fuzzy, things just sort of happened as they were ready to happen. The venue coordinator and DJ did a great job of keeping things moving.  Dinner served, I actually got to FINISH my WHOLE MEAL, then first dance, father/daughter, mother/son. Dance floor opened. We casually did table visits but not really strictly since we had already said hi to nearly everyone after the ceremony. Cake served at... 7:30? 8? Late night snack at 9:30 (and was wolfed down). Reception ended at 11.

Yeah, this is pretty much our plan.  We don't need the photog to be there during the whole shebang, just for "finishing touches" which can be staged.  Or skipped.  I'm not sure how I feel about really staged pictures.  For example, he suggested one of those "looking in the mirror" pictures and I said absolutely no.  Sorry to anyone who had them but they just strike me as kind of odd.  I'm not going to gaze lovingly into a hand mirror next to a sunlight-filled window on my wedding day.

Yeah I prefer more natural looking pics. My photog did my friend's wedding and I was BM so I got to see how she worked, which was nice. She just took a few of the last minute shots like the bride's mom zipping her dress, adjusting the veil, etc. And she actually got some really awesome shots of the BMs just kind of hanging out before we walked down, which is what I loved most.

By the time my photog gets there, everyone will be dressed and ready so she won't be able to get much other than people hanging out, which is fine by me. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @erinkelsey3 we had a receiving line after our ceremony, mostly because our ceremony ended up being a bit shorter than I thought it would and I wanted to eat up some more time. We had about 200 guests (although maybe a dozen didn't make it to the ceremony) and it went pretty fast, about 15 minutes, because it was only H and I receiving people - quick hug and go. However, I found out after the fact that our venue coordinator shuttled some people away through the side door to cocktail hour to make it go faster. That made me a little crabby. We had the time!

So let's say that was... ceremony 4-4:20 or so, receiving line til 4:35 ish, sign the marriage license, then family pictures. We did grandparents first, indoors in front of our ceremony arch (moved inside at last minute due to chilly wind) then WP outside. It was a bit of a challenge to wrangle the WP back from the bar - we lost them in 2 minutes! 15 minutes or so each for WP pics, family pics, B&G pics.

Grand entrance at about 5:45, immediately cut the cake, sit down. blessing, then salad course served during toasts. The rest of the timing is a little fuzzy, things just sort of happened as they were ready to happen. The venue coordinator and DJ did a great job of keeping things moving.  Dinner served, I actually got to FINISH my WHOLE MEAL, then first dance, father/daughter, mother/son. Dance floor opened. We casually did table visits but not really strictly since we had already said hi to nearly everyone after the ceremony. Cake served at... 7:30? 8? Late night snack at 9:30 (and was wolfed down). Reception ended at 11.
    Thank you!! This is really helpful. I keep flip-flopping between having a receiving line and doing table visits, so it's nice to hear of a good experience.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mine pretty much went like this:

11AM BM/MOH go to salon and get hair done
    12 My HS/MUA Comes to hotel to start on me
    12:30 I actually get started
    1:00 BM come back from the salon, start on their makeup
    2:00 MOH did my moms hair and also did partial makeup for all the BM (their eye makeup)
    3:00 Most everyone is ready, we're just hanging out and eating and drinking. I think my MUA and MOH helped with the FG little makeup (blush and lip gloss, they loved it)
    3:30 Photos of "getting ready" and putting the dress on, and a few misc photos
    4:00 photos with WP and some family
    5:00 transport to church, hanging out in the bride room
    6:00 made it official

For after the ceremony, our church only allowed us 30 minutes of photo time for formals, so we had to make sure not to waste time. There was actually family from the next wedding coming in when we were leaving!

@Knightnurse let me know if you need a DOC to help with that decor stuff; I would hate to do that on my wedding day in this heat/humidity lately. My DOC was the best money I spent and made sure we had ample time for everything and anything. The above was my actual timeline planned but my transport was over 25 minutes late and they were the ones that figured out the plan B. Thankfully I got to the church with 5-10 minutes to spare. 

imageimage

• littlepep said:

Yeah I prefer more natural looking pics. My photog did my friend's wedding and I was BM so I got to see how she worked, which was nice. She just took a few of the last minute shots like the bride's mom zipping her dress, adjusting the veil, etc. And she actually got some really awesome shots of the BMs just kind of hanging out before we walked down, which is what I loved most.

By the time my photog gets there, everyone will be dressed and ready so she won't be able to get much other than people hanging out, which is fine by me. 

Those are the best ones.. not staged at all. At my bf's wedding they got a couple of us just doing last minute makeup and her being laced into her dress. One of our favorite pictures was taken of her laughing, it's up close and she looks so happy! Only we know the truth, I was under her dress applying deodorant to her bum cheeks to help with sweat which makes it AWESOME. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    It wasn't until I had to write out the timeline for the photographer that I realized HOW LITTLE TIME we will have! I'm wondering if the girls need to start earlier, since I have seven bridesmaids...

9:00am-12:00pm Groom and his guys go golfing
    9:00-2:00pm Bride and bridesmaids start getting ready at the hotel, lunch and stuff
    12:00-2:00pm Groom starts to get ready at the hotel, lunch and stuff
    2:00pm Bridal party heads to the venue, bride gets into dress
    2:30-4:30pm First look and group/family photos
    5:00pm Ceremony
    5:30-6:30pm Cocktail hour
    6:30pm Reception begins
    6:30-7:30pm Dinner, toasts
    8:00pm Cake cutting
    8:15pm First dances
    10:00pm Last Call (alcohol service ends at 10:30)
    11:00pm Reception ends

ETF wonky formatting
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards