Attire & Accessories Forum

Modern or Classic?

I have recently fallen in love with a picture of a gown that will probably shock some people, not that it's risqué or anything, but because it's very modern. I would post a picture but I honestly don't want other people's style opinion because it varies so much from person to person. The gown is Hayley Paige and I'm wondering if I were to get this gown, will I regret it? It's something that I may or may not look back on and say "what was I thinking?" Normally I go for a much more traditional, princess gown look but this dress has a far more modern skirt (only in fashion in the past year or so).

What do you guys think about wedding style? Should it be timeless or is it the moment that matters? Even writing this I'm wary about the answers, I'm so unsure about this!

Re: Modern or Classic?

• Post a picture! I think a good rule of thumb is to go with something leaning towards classic. Modern and trendy can look dated!! (think puffy sleeves) It can also look amazing and could make a come back in the fashion cycle. 

Traditional does not always mean white satin strapless ballgown. There are lots of very classic dresses that have a bit of a modern spin on it. 

I think no matter what you do something is bound to be dated about your wedding. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• edited April 2015
    My mom's wedding photos really only look dated when you look at her bridesmaids' hair (okay, and my dad was maybe a little influenced by John Lennon), but her own look more or less falls into the timeless/classic range. My grandmother, on the other hand, was super trendy for the late 40s; while it's always been apparent when she was married, she also always just looked happy, and it's kind of hilarious (but awesome) that her dress then is pretty much right on-trend again now.

Basically, I think you should wear a dress that makes you happy. Also, I don't think there's anything in the currently available Hayley Paige lineup that will shock anyone, so you should definitely go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I honestly cannot think of a skirt shape that has only been around for a year or so. So now I'm intensely curious. Post the dress!
  • JasperandOpalJasperandOpal member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2015
    You say you have fallen in love with a picture of a dress- I think its really important that you find somewhere to try the dress one.  Trying it on might help clarify for you whether wearing a potentially trendy dress is worth it (if you put it on and you still love it, i would say its worth it).  I kind of think all dresses reveal the time they were worn give or take a few years, as in if you show me photos of dresses I could likely tell you what decade they are from.  

And as PP said, I really want to know what skirt trend is only a year or so old- so please post a picture! I for one, won't snark on you dress taste- no ones wedding dress is everyone's taste. 
  • I can't give you an opinion on whether or not you will regret it if you dont post a picture.
  • I honestly cannot think of a skirt shape that has only been around for a year or so. So now I'm intensely curious. Post the dress!

I'm guessing maybe high-low? That style hasn't been super "in" for all that long.
  • The "will I regret this?" and "is this equivalent to the puffy sleeves of the 80s?" questions are the very reasons I went with a classic style.

But some people like the modern. styles no matter what. They look back and instead of feeling regretful, they're glad they went bold and trendy. Just depends on your tendencies and personality.

Post a pic!
    *********************************************************************************

• JoanE2012JoanE2012 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    Stop being a tease!  Post a picture!

I agree with @southernbelle0915....I also choose a classic style....I didn't want to look back and cringe wondering "what was I thinking!?".

ETA - No matter what dress you choose, it's impossible for us to know if you will regret your dress choice in the years to come.  Everyone is different.  
  • I'm also interested. Is it a high low dress?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• hellohkbhellohkb mod
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    So I just Googled Hayley Paige to reacquaint myself with the collection (I've only seen so many of her collections) and this popped up. You're not considering this one, are you? ;)

I'm guessing maybe high-low? That style hasn't been super "in" for all that long.
    I'm positive I remember girls wearing high-low to my senior prom 10 years ago, though. Because that was my thought too, along with, "But that's not new..."
  • You should buy a dress that you love today.  You shouldn't base your purchase off what may or may not be seen as 'dated' 10, 20 or 30+ years down the road.  I am sure that my wedding dress may seem 'dated' to current brides to be, but you know what?  I don't care.  I loved my dress because it reflected me and my style when I got married.  So buy what you love and stop worrying about whether it will still be in style after 30+ years.

I'm positive I remember girls wearing high-low to my senior prom 10 years ago, though. Because that was my thought too, along with, "But that's not new..."
    Huh, well then I have no clue!
  • Maybe it's the vera wang flower vagina thing
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Shoooooooooooooooooooow meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.
  • edited April 2015
    Ha! Well, same designer! lol hellohkb

• Of course, I would have to try it on to really know

It's beautiful! I see what you mean about it not being "classic" but I like it. Would you get it in the color shown?

• It does come in white :)
  • Thats an awesome blog post!
  • Personally, I like that dress! Very pretty.

Ummm, I adore that. Definitely see what you mean about the "modern" style, but if you try it on & love it, I say go for it!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• chloe97 said:

I read a great blog post about how brides should stop trying to be timeless. Your wedding should be a snapshot of a moment in time and that includes the styles. Wear the dress that makes you feel the most gorgeous and you won't regret it in 30 years when you look at pictures and you see how happy you looked. 

I was going to link to the same one.  I came across this at the beginning of planning and it helped me to get a grip style-wise!

OP, that dress is gorgeous (I love Hayley Paige) and I say go for it.  After you try it on and still love it, of course.

• I think that dress is very pretty.  Definitely modern but if you got it in white I think it would give a great balance between modern and classic.  I mean it is a classic shape (ballgown) but a modern edge with the top.

• I don't love the dress. But my opinion doesn't matter.

If you love it and its in your budget, then buy it.

FWIW, this dress is way more 'classic' than I was expecting.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Holy fuck that's pretty.
  • It's a lovely dress, my only concern is that the bodice looks sheer, I'd definitely try it on and make sure there are no visible lady parts...

Ok, I totally love this. 
  • That's the dress I was thinking that you were talking about in your OP. I think it's absolutely gorgeous and I would've loved it for my wedding. Try it on and if you love it, get it!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards