Chit Chat
Options

Denim Day

Curious how many of you are participating in this or have heard of it. I'd never heard of Denim Day before this week, when the new head of HR sent out an email about it. Glad to see so many of my coworkers wearing jeans today.

Here's the explanation of why we're wearing jeans today, from the email:

"In Italy in the 1990's, an 18-year-old was raped by her 45-year-old driving instructor. The assailant was arrested, convicted, and sentenced to jail. He appealed the sentence, and the case made its way to the Italian Supreme Court. The Supreme Court released the perpetrator and dismissed all charges, on the grounds that "because the victim wore very, very tight jeans, she had to help him remove them...and by removing the jeans...it wasd no longer rape but consensual sex." Women in the Italian Parliament wore jeans in protest, and the California Senate and Assembly did the same. Denim Day was born."
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Denim Day

• Options
    I have never heard of this! Thank you for sharing!

imageimage

• Options
    Interesting, I've never heard of this! When I was in school, the teachers would be in jeans every once in a while; they said it was a type of fundraiser, and they paid $5 to get a "dress code pass" to be able to wear them. I wonder if it has any linkage to this?
  • Options
    I've never heard of this before. 
  • Options
    I've never heard of this either, but that story is fucked up.
  • Options
    I've heard of the story (though I thought it was Brazil) but never the "Denim day"

Anniversary
  • Options
    I found this article that talks a little bit more about the actual event that triggered the awareness day.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    mklammklam member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    I've worn jeans every denim day for the past 5 years but this year (work dress code and all... but I still have my denim day pin that is on my bag).
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    I had never heard of this. What an awful story.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    I first heard about it on the news this morning. I usually wear jeans to work, but today I had a big meeting and couldn't wear jeans. But, I like the concept of having a day to demonstrate and raise awareness that whatever clothing you wear doesn't negate a rape being a rape (whether it's tight jeans, a short skirt, or low cut top). 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards