Chit Chat

First World Problems

Re: First World Problems

• @ohannabelle Most of the guys wore rented tuxes (not very nice ones at that) so they could rent a vest and tie to match. 

Note mine and DH's matchiness from senior prom (I really wanted an excuse to AW how adorable we were then )

HOWEVER, your DS would look very nice in a black suit and matching tie you could buy from anywhere.. I would have never known the difference between a tux versus a suit in HS!

• jenna8984 said:

Wait I'm sorry OP you seriously switched cars because yours needed gas? I will never comprehend that...I get gas every 5-6 days and I cannot imagine that ever being a reason to not take my car....like to me that's the equivalent of saying let's swap phones because mine is not charged.

I mean, I have to go out of my way to get gas, so yeah. I do this all the time. I dont have to go out of my way to charge my phone. Not the same.
  • The month of May has almost zero going on for me - in the BEST way, after quite possibly the busiest and most stressful semester I've ever had - but I have to go through my last week of classes (both teaching and taking) and then finals to get to that glorious, glorious nothingness.

Humpf.
  • @emmaaa - awwwww, senior prom pictures!
    *********************************************************************************

• jenna8984 said:

Wait I'm sorry OP you seriously switched cars because yours needed gas? I will never comprehend that...I get gas every 5-6 days and I cannot imagine that ever being a reason to not take my car....like to me that's the equivalent of saying let's swap phones because mine is not charged.

I mean, I have to go out of my way to get gas, so yeah. I do this all the time. I dont have to go out of my way to charge my phone. Not the same.
    Oh. That's so bizarre to me. I pass about 18 gas stations on my way work. Or on my way to anywhere.

• jenna8984 said:

I used to have three cars to use when FI was out of town (he took his work truck). I would literally run through all three tanks of gas before actually filling one.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

jenna8984 said:

Oh. That's so bizarre to me. I pass about 18 gas stations on my way work. Or on my way to anywhere.
    There is not a single one on my way to work. I'd have to go several miles out of my way, and I am not about that life.
  • jenna8984 said:

jenna8984 said:

There is not a single one on my way to work. I'd have to go several miles out of my way, and I am not about that life.
    There are exactly two on my way to work. But they are on the wrong side of the road. And I would have to turn left into them and left out of them. So I risk running out of gas until I pass them on my way home. 
    *********************************************************************************

• @emmaaa - awwwww, senior prom pictures!

@southernbelle0915 Ah, thanks! Definitely an AW moment but I just love the cuteness of them :)

• jenna8984 said:

I HATE getting gas. Hate it. I have no idea why. H doesn't mind it and he usually fills my car for me. I don't cry or anything if I need to get gas, but I'd prefer not to. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • jenna8984 said:

I HATE getting gas. Hate it. I have no idea why. H doesn't mind it and he usually fills my car for me. I don't cry or anything if I need to get gas, but I'd prefer not to. 
    Huh. I've really never heard anyone ever say that. It's not doing dishes where you actively DO something- you just stand there holding a handle for 1.5 minutes lol. And I kinda like it because it gives me an excuse to go inside and get a candy bar or a chocolate milk!

• jenna8984 said:

jenna8984 said:

Huh. I've really never heard anyone ever say that. It's not doing dishes where you actively DO something- you just stand there holding a handle for 1.5 minutes lol. And I kinda like it because it gives me an excuse to go inside and get a candy bar or a chocolate milk!

This is adorable and makes me happy. FI has this weird thing about not wanting to sit in the car while I pump gas? He thinks it's emasculating or something, which is so unlike him, but it's his one thing, I guess. If I know he's going to be in the car with me soon, I'll try to stave off getting any on my own …

That being said, I just make sure the place has a Dunks so that I can get an iced coffee, and that helps it suck less.
  • I... don't pump gas. Then again, I've lived in NJ my entire adult life, so I rarely ever have to. I've done it maybe a handful of times while traveling, so it's not like I don't know how. But man, do I really enjoy not getting out of my car when there's a foot of snow on the ground and my tank is empty!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• @ohannabelle - most of the guys at our prom rented tuxes. But 99% of the reason for that was so they could get a vest and a bow tie that matched their date's dress. I don't even think I knew the difference between a tux and a suit back then. 

If he wants to wear a suit, cool. If he wants to wear a bow tie with it that matches his date, take him to Macy's a pick one up for $10. Sure beats $100 for a tux rental.
    See, I'm thinking maybe he's just being considerate and frugal. Because the boy really loves dressing up. He already owns multiple ties and bow ties. He has pocket squares, for heaven's sake.(Emerald, purple, and a pink stripe that looks like ribbon candy. His favorite.) 
    He was actually annoyed that he didn't get a tux for his sister's wedding. He wanted a swanky vest, which he calls a waistcoat, and that cracks me up.  He's an odd sort of teenage boy. I love my weird Moose. I'm leaning towards tux.  
    God, he'll probably want ridiculous tails. 

@emmaaa:How frikking cute is that picture? Now I want to see everybody's prom pictures! 
  • jenna8984 said:

Me too. I always wait until the last possible second. And there are gas stations on the way home. I just don't like doing it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Okay, serious First Wold Problem here. So I found out I'm getting a sizable (for my company) raise effective next month for taking on a newly created position at work. I know that most of the extra money in my paychecks will go into savings toward a house, BUT... I kind of want to at least spend some of the extra from my first check. Do I buy a fabulous pair of shoes? A swank new purse? Go out to a ridiculously fancy dinner? SPEND MY MONEY FOR ME!!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• Okay, serious First Wold Problem here. So I found out I'm getting a sizable (for my company) raise effective next month for taking on a newly created position at work. I know that most of the extra money in my paychecks will go into savings toward a house, BUT... I kind of want to at least spend some of the extra from my first check. Do I buy a fabulous pair of shoes? A swank new purse? Go out to a ridiculously fancy dinner? SPEND MY MONEY FOR ME!!

Why is this a multiple choice. ALL of the above.

• Cookie PusherCookie Pusher member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    jenna8984 said:

Okay, serious First Wold Problem here. So I found out I'm getting a sizable (for my company) raise effective next month for taking on a newly created position at work. I know that most of the extra money in my paychecks will go into savings toward a house, BUT... I kind of want to at least spend some of the extra from my first check. Do I buy a fabulous pair of shoes? A swank new purse? Go out to a ridiculously fancy dinner? SPEND MY MONEY FOR ME!!

Because I'm still trying to be responsible and only spend some of the extra money. This way, I can reward myself again later and still put away the same amount for the house.

ETA: Oh man, I sound so stuffy and grown-up. Quick, someone bring me a margarita to snap me out of it!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I've made the switch from agency side to client side. In an all day agency meeting and the lunch they're buying me isn't here yet.

H wants to put the net profit from our house sale (after new house down payment and closing costs) into a 529 for Tidbit instead of in-floor heating for the kitchen and new bedroom furniture. He's too responsible.

My H won't quit talking about in-floor heating.

He now wants to get a heated front porch. I am kind of all for it because I hate shoveling snow.
  • jenna8984 said:

Okay, serious First Wold Problem here. So I found out I'm getting a sizable (for my company) raise effective next month for taking on a newly created position at work. I know that most of the extra money in my paychecks will go into savings toward a house, BUT... I kind of want to at least spend some of the extra from my first check. Do I buy a fabulous pair of shoes? A swank new purse? Go out to a ridiculously fancy dinner? SPEND MY MONEY FOR ME!!

Because I'm still trying to be responsible and only spend some of the extra money. This way, I can reward myself again later and still put away the same amount for the house.

ETA: Oh man, I sound so stuffy and grown-up. Quick, someone bring me a margarita to snap me out of it!
    But how can you go to a nice dinner with old shoes and an old purse? You can't get awesome shoes without a great purse to match. And you can't get those without having somewhere to take them.

Just sayin'. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • jenna8984 said:

But how can you go to a nice dinner with old shoes and an old purse? You can't get awesome shoes without a great purse to match. And you can't get those without having somewhere to take them.

Just sayin'. 
    Additional First World Problem: I can't find a house with big enough closets for my 200+ pairs of shoes. They're currently split between 2 closets in my apartment and the basement of my mother's house. No shame in my shoe game!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• FWP, I have nothing to do at work, so I am hanging out on here. Coworker has decided to reorganize the filing cabinet that is in the common space directly behind my desk. So now, while I have nothing to do, I have to try and look like I'm working hard since she's the type to question you.

it's really hard to Knot inconspicuosly! Grawr.
  • Pumping gas is the worst. I don't stop til I'm on fumes - I've gone past "0 miles to empty" before. It's cold out, it smells, I want to get where I'm going. And I never go inside, that's even worse.

• Pumping gas is the worst. I don't stop til I'm on fumes - I've gone past "0 miles to empty" before. It's cold out, it smells, I want to get where I'm going. And I never go inside, that's even worse.

YES. I never step foot in a gas station unless I absolutely have to.
  • NowIAmSypNowIAmSyp member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

Three words: Short.  Hills.  Mall.

You're welcome 

ETA: Or- come spend money at the bar at the Colorado Cafe with me, lol :)  I think I'm going 5/9!
  • Cookie Pusher said:Okay, serious First Wold Problem here. So I found out I'm getting a sizable (for my company) raise effective next month for taking on a newly created position at work. I know that most of the extra money in my paychecks will go into savings toward a house, BUT... I kind of want to at least spend some of the extra from my first check. Do I buy a fabulous pair of shoes? A swank new purse? Go out to a ridiculously fancy dinner? SPEND MY MONEY FOR ME!!

CONGRATS and you should
    celebrate by getting new shoes and a purse and have a nice dinner. 

I have never paid for gas inside. The one time the CC machine was broken, I drove the gas station across the street. It's just so much pressure to decide how much to put in your tank. I just want to fill up until it's full. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Three words: Short.  Hills.  Mall.

You're welcome 

ETA: Or- come spend money at the bar at the Colorado Cafe with me, lol :)  I think I'm going 5/9!
    I was at the mall last weekend. I'm not going near that place again until after prom season is over. Too many squealing teenage girls!

CONGRATS and you should celebrate by getting new shoes and a purse and have a nice dinner. 

OR... do I spring for really good seats at a Yankees game? 

Or... maybe just one really good seat for me and a nosebleed for DH? I kid, I kid (sorta)!
    ~*~*~*~*~

• My FWP today is something I shouldn't even be debating.

My mom's cousin has a car for sale. It's a 1991 Mazda Miata convertible. It has 45,000 miles on it. It's in GREAT condition. It's a 5-speed. He wants $3500 for it. 

I want this car. I do not technically NEED this car, but it would run better than my 2000 Buick, the insurance would be $25 cheaper per month, the gas expense would be sooooo much cheaper, and ... it's cute. Way fucking cuter than Matilda the Granny Car.

image vs image

HOWEVER. It's a 1991. It's a 5-speed, which I can currently only barely survival-drive. Plus, on top of that, it's a two-seater, and I know we're going to be TTC in the near future, so it seems silly to buy a car that I know I can't put a car seat in safely. 

Y'all, talk me down. I do not need this vehicle. 
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • @CookiePusher - congrats on your raise!! Here here to the choice to splurge and reward yourself!

If you have 200+ pairs of shoes, my vote goes to a purse. Or a spa day. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards