Chit Chat

Broga

Have you heard of this?? Yoga... for men. Because they emphasize strength and flexibility and don't want to do all the spiritual stuff alongside women twisted like pretzels, or humiliate themselves because they can barely touch their knees. 

This really bothers me! The reason I don't do yoga, and with all due respect I know plenty of women who love it and swear by it, is because I would rather emphasize strength and flexibility than the ommmm. There are actually yoga classes for that already, I know. My BFF attends Core Power which sounds like it would be right up my alley, but it's expensive. 

So of course, now there's "broga." Yoga for bros. If I can get past the gag-worthy title, I would rather go to that class too. 

Re: Broga

• I would go to broga in a heartbeat.  I hate all the spiritual and meditation stuff in most yoga classes I've taken.

• I think this bugs me because like you said there are already other yoga class that do focus more on the workout than the spiritual stuff. I don't care for that either. 

But I had a membership to a studio here that was power yoga. They had one class that even used weights (yoga sculpt). They are awesome and hard and a good workout. 

I don't like the implication though that it has to be for "bros". Women want to workout too. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Certainly you don't expect men to do all that sissy GIRL yoga stuff do you? MENS NEED THEIR OWN SPACES TO BE MANLY AND FULL OF TESTOSTERONE!
  • Totally ridiculous and annoying. 

My H has taken yoga classes with me many times. We've done all different ones (hot, strength, core, etc) and he never felt that he needed his own manly bro class. 
  • Totally ridiculous and annoying. 

My H has taken yoga classes with me many times. We've done all different ones (hot, strength, core, etc) and he never felt that he needed his own manly bro class. 
    Well, then he is obvisouly womanly.
  • I would get that they would focus on different muscle groups.  There is a spa my family goes to and they have separate male and female stretch classes because generally different muscle groups are tight depending on your sex.

I dont' know, I guess I don't find it that big of a deal.  If a guy is a pussy and doesn't want to go to a yoga class with women and would rather go with all men and do different exercises, I don't see it any different than an all women's gym like curves because women don't want to work out with men.

I think if it were called something other than "broga" and the article wasn't written in such a way to make the men sound like douche bags, everyone might have a different reaction to it.

I'll just stick with my spinning.  And spending every class wondering how the dudes aren't crushing their balls.

• Last week, I met the guy who started/owns Broga. He's been doing a convention-y thing with DH, and DH thinks very highly of him. 

I while I totally agree with PPs on the name and the over-genderedness of the advertizing, I have to say that the guy is an emotional softie. I am pretty sure he's a feminist in addition to being a jock.  

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Last week, I met the guy who started/owns Broga. He's been doing a convention-y thing with DH, and DH thinks very highly of him. 

I while I totally agree with PPs on the name and the over-genderedness of the advertizing, I have to say that the guy is an emotional softie. I am pretty sure he's a feminist in addition to being a jock.  
    A feminist believes in equal rights for all people. So why would he create a class geared only towards men?

Being emotional makes him a feminist?
  • Please- We aren't French, inanimate objects (or classes) don't need genders.

Um, women totally need their own pens. Regular pens are WAY too manly!

Yes, I need special delicate pens in pastel colors. 

A feminist believes in equal rights for all people. So why would he create a class geared only towards men?
    I'm not really arguing for him, because I totally agree with you all and when I met him I had to bite my tongue about the business and how it is advertized. I honestly think he's a feminist who's going about it in a misguided way.

However, I think his personal blind spot is that he used to be a "jock" who had a change of heart and is now trying to change how men appreciate what he and many other men have demeaningly considered "women's" physical activities. It's personal for him, because it's about his youthful preferences for "manly" sports and his relationship with his yoga teacher mother. 

Anyway, like I said, I'm really not arguing for him. But having met him it did change my opinion of his vision being a classical instance of antifeminism. 

• LondonLisaLondonLisa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015
    littlepep said:

Please- We aren't French, inanimate objects (or classes) don't need genders.

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone knows women shouldn't write. 
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS37SNYjg8w
  • Ugh. God forbid that a guy take a class with all those sissy wimmenz. The fumes coming out of their vaginas while they stretch may make them grow boobies. 

Also, can't help but think this is a guy thinking hm, yoga is very popular and profitable and mainly participated in and led by women. How can I get in on this? 

I'm too impatient for yoga but I'm trying to get more into it. It's true that there are some that focus on strength, but tbh while I prefer it, distancing from the spirituality and meditation aspect bothers me because that's what it was originally for. Not a 6 pack. 
  • levieenroselevieenrose member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

Last week, I met the guy who started/owns Broga. He's been doing a convention-y thing with DH, and DH thinks very highly of him. 

Being emotional makes him a feminist?
    No, you're right. It doesn't. I guess I was trying to include information that didn't paint him as a super macho character and an over-the-top male rights activist. It was a characterization of him in addition to my noticing he was also making comments which made me think he has feminist tendencies. 

ETA: Clarity. 

• littlepep said:

Writing is a sign of mental illness for women. That's why I've been locked in this attic, surrounded by yellow wallpaper.... 
    In a nice cozy jacket that keeps your arms together!
  • edited April 2015

Last week, I met the guy who started/owns Broga. He's been doing a convention-y thing with DH, and DH thinks very highly of him. 

I'm not really arguing for him, because I totally agree with you all and when I met him I had to bite my tongue about the business and how it is advertized. I honestly think he's a feminist who's going about it in a misguided way.

However, I think his personal blind spot is that he used to be a "jock" who had a change of heart and is now trying to change how men appreciate what he and many other men have demeaningly considered "women's" physical activities. It's personal for him, because it's about his youthful preferences for "manly" sports and his relationship with his yoga teacher mother. 

Anyway, like I said, I'm really not arguing for him. But having met him it did change my opinion of his vision being a classical instance of antifeminism. 

BOX

But he's not. He's created a separate class for men. 

BOX

But he's not. He's created a separate class for men. 

I know. I agree. I think he's misguided.

• I would get that they would focus on different muscle groups.  There is a spa my family goes to and they have separate male and female stretch classes because generally different muscle groups are tight depending on your sex. Really? I'm interested in examples. It's just that I'm a runner, so I know my workout needs based on my sport of interest. I can barely touch my toes too, just like the men in the article. I'd prioritize sport-specific conditioning over gender-specific conditioning. 

I dont' know, I guess I don't find it that big of a deal.  If a guy is a pussy and doesn't want to go to a yoga class with women and would rather go with all men and do different exercises, I don't see it any different than an all women's gym like curves because women don't want to work out with men. To be honest, I never really "agreed" with Curves either. Maybe I just can't put myself in other women's shoes, but I don't know why working out co-ed is intimidating. So they can lift a lot more. Ok? And if we have to have a gender specific gym to avoid harassment, that's a whole other ball game. I've never been harassed at the gym personally but know others sometimes feel they're being "checked out." 

I think if it were called something other than "broga" and the article wasn't written in such a way to make the men sound like douche bags, everyone might have a different reaction to it. Maybe. But how else can you spin a male-specific workout class without also providing the examples above of how men's bodies are so different in athletic need than women's? 

I'll just stick with my spinning.  And spending every class wondering how the dudes aren't crushing their balls.  I wonder about ball-crushing with everything. Maybe broga shows them how to cross their legs and twist without crushing their balls, considering they can't manage to put their legs together on public transportation. Maybe "manspreading" is part of broga. 

Also, my responses here are in no way snarky, just being calm and honest. I'm not trying to challenge your view or anything, just discussing. 

• littlepep said:

Writing is a sign of mental illness for women. That's why I've been locked in this attic, surrounded by yellow wallpaper.... 
    Be still my heart! I got into a MAJOR fight with a professor over that story in class one day. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I just don't care.    

I also don't care if women feel more comfortable in a woman's only fitness center or class.

Sure I might find it's a little silly, but if that is what it takes to get them moving, so be it.   Everyone has different comfort levels.   If making they feel more comfortable in a male oriented class.  No big deal to me. 

I also hate all the spiritual stuff in yoga.  That is one reason I haven't attended in a while.  And I'm too lazy to shop around.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would get that they would focus on different muscle groups.  There is a spa my family goes to and they have separate male and female stretch classes because generally different muscle groups are tight depending on your sex. Really? I'm interested in examples. It's just that I'm a runner, so I know my workout needs based on my sport of interest. I can barely touch my toes too, just like the men in the article. I'd prioritize sport-specific conditioning over gender-specific conditioning. 

I dont' know, I guess I don't find it that big of a deal.  If a guy is a pussy and doesn't want to go to a yoga class with women and would rather go with all men and do different exercises, I don't see it any different than an all women's gym like curves because women don't want to work out with men. To be honest, I never really "agreed" with Curves either. Maybe I just can't put myself in other women's shoes, but I don't know why working out co-ed is intimidating. So they can lift a lot more. Ok? And if we have to have a gender specific gym to avoid harassment, that's a whole other ball game. I've never been harassed at the gym personally but know others sometimes feel they're being "checked out." 

I think if it were called something other than "broga" and the article wasn't written in such a way to make the men sound like douche bags, everyone might have a different reaction to it. Maybe. But how else can you spin a male-specific workout class without also providing the examples above of how men's bodies are so different in athletic need than women's? 

I'll just stick with my spinning.  And spending every class wondering how the dudes aren't crushing their balls.  I wonder about ball-crushing with everything. Maybe broga shows them how to cross their legs and twist without crushing their balls, considering they can't manage to put their legs together on public transportation. Maybe "manspreading" is part of broga. 

Also, my responses here are in no way snarky, just being calm and honest. I'm not trying to challenge your view or anything, just discussing. 

It's at a spa, so it's generalized classes, not for serious athletes.  I just know the mens classes focus more on hamstrings and chest stretches while the womens classes focus more on things like hip openers.  Not saying I agree, just giving an example.

I just think everyone is making a huge deal out of this becasue of how the article was written.  It was written in kind of a douchey way so it makes women recoil.  Honestly if it makes a dude more comfortable to go to a dude only class, so be it.  It doesn't have any impact on my life or my workout.

• This conversation (and the pens) reminded me of this gem: (CLICKY)

• So, if broga is yoga for men...
    Then BroCycle (SoulBycle's frat boy brother) would be spinning for men.

Guys need their own classes obvs, because women are distracting.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards