Chit Chat
Options

No oreos for this kid..

http://wric.com/2015/04/29/school-says-no-to-oreos-in-childs-lunch/

What do we think about this, knotties?

As a teacher, I couldn't fathom telling a kid they could not eat some of their lunch sent from home. I'm only ever concerned when it appears a kid has little to no lunch, that the family is struggling to provide.

I would've been pissed if my teacher took away my oreos.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: No oreos for this kid..

• Options
    I mean I would just be happy knowing that my kids had so much food at home that they had extra to bring to school.  Most of my students squirrel away leftover lunch food to take home with them.  Just let the kid have the fucking oreos and stop being pretentious!

• Options

I mean I would just be happy knowing that my kids had so much food at home that they had extra to bring to school.  Most of my students squirrel away leftover lunch food to take home with them.  Just let the kid have the fucking oreos and stop being pretentious!

THIS. I have students who try to take home food so they have something to eat between lunch at school and breakfast the next morning. 

LET THEM EAT OREOS.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Oreos are vegan.  All vegan food is good right?

But seriously,  like a lot of things here the pendulum swings far from one direction to another but rarely stays in the middle.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    arrippaarrippa member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2015

All things in moderation. She didn't have an entire bag of Oreos but had only four cookies.  The school is way overreacting. No one better get between me and my Oreos.

Editted: To finish my thought when my boss walked away.

• Options
    arrippa said:

All things in moderation. She didn't have an entire bag of Oreos but had only four cookies. 

Which is usually the issue when I eat them. Double stuffed for the win!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    As a teacher, I could never tell a student they couldn't eat what was packed.  I'd be happy that they were eating.  And if I'm not mistaken, the mom had run out of the usual fruits and veggies she packs her for snacks, so she sent the oreos.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'd like to have seen them try this with MY mother when I was a kid.  That would have been hilarious.
    You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. ~Mae West
  • Options
    tcnoble said:

arrippa said:

All things in moderation. She didn't have an entire bag of Oreos but had only four cookies. 

Which is usually the issue when I eat them. Double stuffed for the win!!
    yeah,  a bag of Oreos lasts about 24-36 hours in our house.  That is why they are only allowed in the house twice a year.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options
    My son's day care (he'll be 3 in August), has requirements on the lunches you can purchase through them (or that are sent by the parents) I believe it has something to do with Ohio's regulations to maintain their licensing...

Every lunch has to have a protein, grain, veggie and fruit. That being said, they definitely still do snacks (cupcakes for birthdays, trip to walk to get ice cream, and they will let you send whatever you want for an afternoon snack). They're kids. A little sweet snack won't be the end of the world.

And really, peanut butter is in the same category as lunchables? Fuck that.
  • Options

My kids were in grammar school before food police were a thing. My son earned a can of soda as a treat for bringing his grades up or something. I packed the soda in his school lunch along with a sandwich, fruit and pudding. The teacher who was monitoring the cafeteria that day confiscated it because it wasn't nutritious. I raised holy hell. She never put her nose in my son's lunch again after that.

• Options
    I read this as I ate my junky peanut butter on apple snack.  Not cool, especially if she's normally getting a healthy lunch.  Nothing wrong with a little dessert in moperation

• Options
    Peanut butter isn't considered a healthy snack?

LOL idiot
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I understand schools being allowed to dictate what is served in a school lunc purchased from them, but when and why did it become a thing to police what parents choose to feed their kids?

I've had several issues with the school food police. A few years ago I called my younger sisters school to set up a good time to bring in cupcakes for her birthday. I was told that any birthday treats had to be store bought and healthy. I was emailed a list of approved "treats" that consisted of granola bars, apple or fruit slices, raisins, and cheese and crackers.

FSS's school still allows cupcakes, but the first year I sent those card/candy valentines for his class he came home with a bag full of candy. The teacher allowed the cards to be passed out but it was a big no on candy.

I also was turned away with chicken nuggets one day. I used to love when my mom would suprise me and drop off a happy meal at lunch time. It was maybe once or twice a year, but it was great. I tried doing the same for FSS one day and was told it was not acceptable for lunch since it was unhealthy and also unfair for other kids.
  • Options
    Did the oreos get sent back home? Or did teach eat them herself?

Y'all know girlfriend just wanted them cookies for herself.
  • Options
    afox007 said:

I understand schools being allowed to dictate what is served in a school lunc purchased from them, but when and why did it become a thing to police what parents choose to feed their kids?

I've had several issues with the school food police. A few years ago I called my younger sisters school to set up a good time to bring in cupcakes for her birthday. I was told that any birthday treats had to be store bought and healthy. I was emailed a list of approved "treats" that consisted of granola bars, apple or fruit slices, raisins, and cheese and crackers.

FSS's school still allows cupcakes, but the first year I sent those card/candy valentines for his class he came home with a bag full of candy. The teacher allowed the cards to be passed out but it was a big no on candy.

I also was turned away with chicken nuggets one day. I used to love when my mom would suprise me and drop off a happy meal at lunch time. It was maybe once or twice a year, but it was great. I tried doing the same for FSS one day and was told it was not acceptable for lunch since it was unhealthy and also unfair for other kids.

I actually get not allowing kids to bring in communal foods.   There are way too many allergies and stuff out there to protect everyone.    And quite frankly I'm not sure I would want some my kid eating food brought in by a parent.  Packaged or otherwise.  I don't see the need.   Then again I had a summer birthday.  I never had a class party and really do not understand the need.

Now feeding your own kid?  Yeah, that is a different story.  You should be able to pack whatever you want for your own kid.

• Options
    larrygaga said:

LOL idiot
    I thought this too. Also, what does this statement even mean? I'm so confused as to why you would need bread with potatoes. 

"If they have potatoes, the child will also need bread to go along with it". 

• Options
    This actually makes me a little ragey, moreso than I thought it would. The fact that this mom packed her a little girl a nice sandwich, with four cookies as a treat, and the school not only a) made it their business to snoop through her lunchbox, but also b) told the little girl she couldn't eat the cookies THAT DAY (rather than just sending the note home afterwards asking for them not to be sent again, which would be bad enough), is intrusive and weird and upsetting.
  • Options
    Oh, I would raise ever-loving hell. If I'm paying you to give my child lunch, you're free to impose your restrictions as you see fit within any restrictions s/he may have due to allergies.

If I send my child with a lunch, keep your big fat nose out of it. I wouldn't just be in that principal's office, I would be in his or her FACE wanting an explanation, and if I didn't get one that I felt justified their butting into my parenting choices, I would be sure they knew it. Public schools are not my only option, and I'm happy to exercise my rights in that regard.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options

larrygaga said:

LOL idiot
    I thought this too. Also, what does this statement even mean? I'm so confused as to why you would need bread with potatoes. 

I agree. Makes no sense. 

I remember about a year ago there was a similar story where the father packed leftover pot roast with potatoes and carrots (or something like that, I don't remember all the details) for his child. There was a note sent home saying it didn't meet the requirements (there was no grain or fruit, I think). Come on, that is a better lunch that I ever had as a kid. I can't handle food police. 

My lunch as a kid consisted of pb&J, an apple and a treat (cookies, little debbie snack, etc). That was the norm. 

• Options
    abl13abl13 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    Yeah if that was my kid I would be LIVID. I want to teach my kids to limit the amount of edible food that is thrown away. Plus it doesn't sound like the kid was given anything in place of the oreos so they were probably hungry all afternoon. It is not a teacher's job to be the food police.
  • Options
    I would be fucking livid. Like, this is one of the rare occasions where I'd open the gates of hell. Although I'd like to think of myself as a very kind, rational, sane person, let's be real here. I still share blood with my BSC rage-dad and my BSC demonic sister. 

I can definitely be this:

That's way too invasive. If I were a teacher, the only way I'd have a problem with a kid eating cookies- that their own mom sent with them to school- would be if I knew they were diabetic or something and the cookies posed a dire health risk, or if ALL they had to eat was cookies and nothing else. FFS. It's fucking cookies! You should be concerned when a kid is NOT eating cookies. 
  • Options
    afox007 said:

My Mom or Dad would do this for me too!  That was always the best day.  Also my Uncle worked as the head janitor at my middle school and he would buy me a Mickey Mouse ice cream pop thing like every single day.  He would even buy some for my friends too.

But to the unfair for other kids.  FFS kids need to learn that the world is not fair.  If they wanted it to be fair then every kid would be fed the exact same thing.  Ahh the baby gloves kill me!

I do understand not bringing in communal food, especially homemade food because of all the potential allergies and such.  But it is sad because celebrating my classmates birthdays with a yummy homemade cupcake were always highlights of the year.

• Options

larrygaga said:

LOL idiot

Yeah potatoes with bread? That seems super unhealthy. More so than peanut butter. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    This is ridiculous. All stories like this make me ragey. I get that obesity is a huge problem in our country but this is not the solution. I'd be livid if it was my own kid and raising hell at the school. And the principal not talking to a parent is complete BS.

I'm wondering if peanut butter is really restricted because peanut allergies have become so common and they just worded it stupidly.

• Options
    While our DC allows us to bring in cupcakes for birthdays I do understand the issue w/ communal food too.    

DD starts elementary school next year and I'm really hoping that I don't need to put on my crazy pants. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:

While our DC allows us to bring in cupcakes for birthdays I do understand the issue w/ communal food too.    

DD starts elementary school next year and I'm really hoping that I don't need to put on my crazy pants. 
    One of my best friends is an elementary school teacher. She said parents are allowed to bring in snacks, but they're required to bring in something that's nut-free and gluten-free and lactose-free. She said she has yet to taste a good snack that actually meet those requirements (as far as baked goods go). 

When I was a kid we always brought all kinds of crap to school and it was always a fun exciting day when that happened. The parents always knew if a kid had a particular food issue and they would always bring a couple things that kid could eat (like a dairy-free alternative or cookies with no nuts in them, whatever). So it was still fun for everyone without all the crazy regulations. Guess those days are over. 
  • Options

One of my best friends is an elementary school teacher. She said parents are allowed to bring in snacks, but they're required to bring in something that's nut-free and gluten-free and lactose-free. She said she has yet to taste a good snack that actually meet those requirements (as far as baked goods go). 

When I was a kid we always brought all kinds of crap to school and it was always a fun exciting day when that happened. The parents always knew if a kid had a particular food issue and they would always bring a couple things that kid could eat (like a dairy-free alternative or cookies with no nuts in them, whatever). So it was still fun for everyone without all the crazy regulations. Guess those days are over. 
    So cardboard?

But it wouldn't be fair to the few kids who have allergies if they were given something different then the other kids.  It would be singling them out and "punishing" them because they have a food allergy.  All kids deserve the same foods and a metal for coming in last.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards