Chit Chat

Summer Projects

With the weather slowly getting nice enough that I can work outside again my brain is in constant motion listing projects that are on my to do list.  That list keeps getting bigger and bigger everyday and it has all these little things that culminate into one large thing.

What are some summer projects on your list?
  • Plant next door neighbors garden
  • Plant vegetable garden
  • Paint the kitchen & dining room
  • Sand down the dining room cabinet doors
  • Replace the basement door
  • Sand down, clean and stain new picnic table
  • Power wash and paint deck
  • Clean basement
  • Plan awesome BBQ and outdoor movie night
Anniversary

Re: Summer Projects

• FI really wants a deck, but we're not building it... so getting some estimates is on the list!
    He is supposedly going to do some landscaping this year (he just moved in and I just never cared!).
    We need to get a dead tree taken down too, but again that job is for hire.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    • Build a wee deck (more of a balcony, off our 2nd-storey bedroom) to support a hot tub; the hot tub will come later but we want to build it right to start with.
    • Build treadmill desks - that is happening today and tomorrow actually! We bought two treadmills for our office at 70% off and are building some wall-mount and shelfie infrastructure to turn them into desks.
    • Start vegetable garden - some seeds are started now, but of course we JUST got snow again...
    • Get chicks and build our chicken coop/run/hen house - we need to order the chicks by May 11th.
    • Build kids' jungle gym in the yard.
    • Ongoing clearing of the bush/making trails. We've been doing this by hand with machetes and axes and it's great exercise, but we finally bought a heavy duty brush-cutter which will make it a lot easier to stay on top of.

If we could just get some nice weather, that would be great...

• We've gotten all our planting out of the way until fall (YAY!) so nothing in the yard. 

Our wedding is in the summer so I have some wedding projects. After the wedding,we have some house projects I'd like to get done: 

• Sorting through gifts and finding a place for them
    • Going through our kitchen stuff to donate old stuff we don't want anymore
    • Painting the upstairs bathroom/third bedroom
    • Organizing/cleaning the guest room, which is currently being used as wedding gift/craft storage
    • Getting pictures/artwork for the walls in our living room/dining room
    • Get lighting on our deck sorted out
    I'm also hosting a baby shower, 30th birthday for FI and a friend and then I'm going to help my mom with her housewarming when their house is done. 

It will be a busy summer!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Woooo doggy.

Remodel the kitchen - full gut job including floors through the foyer
    Paint and decorate the nursery
    Paint the dining and living rooms
     - finish refinishing the dining table
    Make cornice boards for family room
    Plant the front flower beds
    - recruit H's master gardener aunt to help
    Come up with some sort of fencing solution for the dogs - full fence or dog run
    Remodel the upstairs bathrooms??
    Throw a BBQ to meet the new neighbors
    Oh yeah and grow a baby

• Usually, my summer projects involve de-cluttering the icky areas - pantry, closets, basement, etc.  But, I just found out that I got accepted into Grad School!!!  So, I'll be in school all summer.  I ain't doing nothing on my 2 weeks off.  

• We are renovating pretty much our entire house:

Entire first floor (kitchen, dining room, living room, main bathroom, master bedroom, guest room, office)
    Renovating the downstairs guest room and the downstairs living room 
    New siding 
    New windows 
    Ripping out the front walkway that needs to be fixed 

So...yeah. We got a lot going on. 
  • There's a corner of our yard that's hilly and unlandscaped. It has a couple of dead pine trees and a bunch of brush-like bushes. Pretty sad looking overall. This is one of my inspiration pictures:

On a bit of a smaller scale because we don't have this much space in that area. We are debating if it's a good project to do this summer because baby on board. So it might have to wait until next year. 
    *********************************************************************************

• DH has promised to fix the junk yard of cards sitting in our driveway this summer. I'm useless with cars but am great at running out for parts and tools.

Finishing our kitchen (we did 90% of it before he started school a year ago but we need to finish things like trim, backsplash, etc.). It's only a few solid days of work but it's long overdue.

Lots of doctors appointments because we haven't quite given up yet on TTC.

We'll either spend a ton of weekends trying to clean/fix the pool or I'll (hopefully) convince DH that it's time to get rid of the horror in our backyard.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • There's a corner of our yard that's hilly and unlandscaped. It has a couple of dead pine trees and a bunch of brush-like bushes. Pretty sad looking overall. This is one of my inspiration pictures:

On a bit of a smaller scale because we don't have this much space in that area. We are debating if it's a good project to do this summer because baby on board. So it might have to wait until next year. 
    That looks awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My birthday is in August and since it's our first summer in our house I want to have a big backyard BBQ bash! We just had the contractor over yesterday to talk about building a deck and I just planted some trees. I really want to learn how to take care of the landscaping that was already there because it's really nice and I'd like to maintain it. I also want to get some patio furniture and a grill so basically my summer will be focused on our yard!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    • Get Elle into an obedience class so maybe she wont' freak out at the dog park
    • Go spinning 4 days a week to lose the rest of my weight
    • Re-organize my entire makeup and nail polish collection and hopefully get rid of some of it because it's ridiculous how much I have in my apartment
    • Start dating for real
    Yeah none of mine are home improvement because I rent but that's my plan for the next few months!

• Mostly landscaping. We should be done by mid-june for the front. Back might wait until next year.

Besides that...

-Buy patio furniture

-Get a tan

• You guys are making me feel lazy. My main goal right now is not to let my very small garden die
  • My summer goal? Make a god dammed decision. We either need to pack up and GTFO of IL or buy a house and stay. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • We rent a townhouse, so we are limited on what we can and can not do.  We do not even have a yard to plant a garden. HOA handles the landscaping.  Last year we tried to do a container garden.  Yeah, that is just not our thing.  We do not have green thumbs.  More like thumbs of death.

Summer is when DH works 7 days a week. Although one of his bonus points requires him to take days off.  Yep, he will lose bonus money if he doesn't take time off.    Anyway, since DH works everyday in the summer, I take on a second job there also.   So between the 2 jobs I'm pretty busy on my own.

The only project we have is getting grandma's quilt hung up in the house.   It was sitting in a trash bag for years.  It's yellowed and stained in 1 place.  We found some stuff that will restore the color.  It takes at least 48 hours of soaking in a tub.  Then a delicate rinse in the washer, then air dried in the sun.       So far I haven't found block of time to be able to start the 3-4 day process.   We already have the blocks to hang up the quilt.  DH isn't the handiest of people, so it will be interesting how this turn out.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Kahlyla said:

• Build a wee deck (more of a balcony, off our 2nd-storey bedroom) to support a hot tub; the hot tub will come later but we want to build it right to start with.
    • Build treadmill desks - that is happening today and tomorrow actually! We bought two treadmills for our office at 70% off and are building some wall-mount and shelfie infrastructure to turn them into desks.
    • Start vegetable garden - some seeds are started now, but of course we JUST got snow again...
    • Get chicks and build our chicken coop/run/hen house - we need to order the chicks by May 11th.
    • Ongoing clearing of the bush/making trails. We've been doing this by hand with machetes and axes and it's great exercise, but we finally bought a heavy duty brush-cutter which will make it a lot easier to stay on top of.

Whoa. Your life sounds fantastic!! I want chickens so badly but our neighborhood doesn't allow it >:(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well if all goes to plan, we'll be closing on our new house May 29th. My grandparents have a half acre of woods behind their backyard that they own and they cut a trail through it that they named the "wildcat trail". Growing up it was the best thing ever- me and my cousins and my brother would run through it and ride our bikes through it for hours (it made a loop). Anyway, my new house has the same size woods behind so we are going to make a wildcat trail2 for my future kids and my brother's kids.

• Finish cleaning up the patio (I did most of it yesterday, so I should be able to finish it over the next day or tow)

Get the house in order in general ( It does not look like I've been not working. At all)

Redo the chair I bought for the closet 

Plant my little container herb garden

Actually get some fucking work done (paintings and webcomic)

......Lose weight?

Anniversary
  • Well I rent an apartment in the city so no planting.  Today is my last final though!!!

1 - Clean the apartment that became a disaster over the course of the last month.  Nothing gets done when finals are here.  I'm cleaning the place from top to bottom.  

2 - Me and Fi are hunkering down on our marriage prep stuff

3 - I'm folding 400 more paper cranes

4 - I'm also going to try and write more, I've had an idea for a new novel floating around in my head for a while. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• -Do some re-organizing, I'm sick of the clutter

-Add to my veggie garden, plant my herbs

-Put in our fire pit area.

-Get back on my exercise routine.

-FI has ambitious and expensive "plans" of things he'd like to do for the house - build a deck, redo our downstairs bathroom... none of which are realistic while we're saving up for the wedding.
  • labrolabro member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

We're in Georgia so we've been having nice weather for awhile now. On my list this year was/is:

- Dig in a vegetable garden/ plant veggies

- Install new turf in the backyard

- Plant new bushes

- Place landscape fabric and mulch around the new lawn edge

- Fresh mulch for the front garden areas

- Clean up the pond area, build a new stone pathway

- Build a firepit

Only a few things left on the list at this point. Otherwise the summer will be devoted to regular maintenance for once instead of major projects. We've been in our house two years so I feel like we're finally reaching a point where all the big stuff is done and we can focus on little things.

• KahlylaKahlyla member
    edited April 2015

Kahlyla said:

Whoa. Your life sounds fantastic!! I want chickens so badly but our neighborhood doesn't allow it >:(
    Aw, you're too kind! It's just that we work from home at our own business, and we moved into our "forever home" last year. So we generally have the time to putter about and work on things a bit at a time. We like to plan out improvements and projects and then work toward making them happen, and try not to get too frustrated if they have to
    happen slowly (though we still do!). We don't have a full-fledged farm or anything, just three acres or so - we kind of straddle the line between city and country - but it does give us enough space to build some fun stuff.

The treadmill desks - or something of the sort - are basically so we don't die in these damn chairs, lol. We feel like we sit all the damn time and it's just getting really unhealthy. :)
  • DH and I are wanting to buy a trailer to live in on my family's land until we can afford to build a house there. This summer our goal is to have the area cleaned up and a few trees cut down.

• Our wedding is Sept 12th so my summer plans are.... plan the wedding LOL.  We also need to worry about our landscaping... we have none and while we technically have a year to put it in, we moved in in February so we can't exactly do it next winter.

We do have a fun vacation planned in June... camping for 8 days... thank god we have a really nice camper complete with shower and toilet.... and even a flat screen TV LOL

Married 9.12.15
  • Hey, I just started a Summer Crafts board on Pinterest! http://pinterest.com/jennycolada/summer-crafts/

We (read: DH) recently re-did the backyard, so I'd love to have more people over!

I'm not so much the home-improvement sort, and all of the things I want done are things that DH would want to hire people for (hardwood floors, installing brick on the fireplace), so most of my summer stuff just involves decorating.

My main goal is that I want to make bouquets of paper flowers to put in my vases. I think they'd look lovely! At least they do in my head!
  • @JennyColada - fun stuff on your Pinterest board, and now I want a homemade Pop Tart!
  • I feel like my whole summer is going to be wedding stuff.

I made a list and then it stressed me out so no more list haha.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • 1. Drink margaritas by the pool
    2. Drink piña coladas by the pool
    3. Try not to melt
    4. Start figuring out fufu's room
    5. Figure out what alcohol goes best in lemonade
    6. Start watching The Fosters
  • mj8215mj8215 member
    - pass big exam in june 
    - get married in august
    - HONEYMOON also in august - just booked!
    - we rent in NYC, so our home improvement project is "hang up pictures" and our landscaping project is "get a plant"
    - The stars, like dust, encircle me in living mists of light. And all of space I seem to see in one vast burst of sight. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards