Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Buffet question?

We are having a buffet with 2 options. Chicken and pork. We were thinking of letting our guests get both if they want( just smaller servings of each) or should we just give them a choice? If it's a choice, do I need to put the choices on the RSVP card? TIA
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Buffet question?

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Denise40 said:

We are having a buffet with 2 options. Chicken and pork. We were thinking of letting our guests get both if they want( just smaller servings of each) or should we just give them a choice? If it's a choice, do I need to put the choices on the RSVP card? TIA

Will there be someone at the buffet serving people, or is it self-serve? 

• If it's a buffet, you should let people take both options if they want. 

Adding to esstee's question, if the buffet is self-serve, please order extra servings because people typically serve themselves more than a serving size. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Have you ever been to a buffet where you had to decide what you were going to eat before hand and then only allowed to get that particular food?  No.  It is a buffet, which means you should be able to take whatever you want.

• It's a buffet.  Guests usually have access to everything that is put out.    I don't see a need to put anything on the RSVP card.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • @esstee33 there will be servers. Thanks @Maggie0829 that makes sense but according to our caterer they would get 1 entree unless we chose to go with letting them have both entrees. That's why I was asking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    Yeah, definitely let them have both. My only concern was how you / your guests would determine a "smaller serving" if it was self-serve, but since there will be servers, that makes it a non-issue. 
  • It makes no sense to have a buffet and not allow people to be able to have every option. IMO it defeats the purpose of having a buffet.  Might as well have a plated if you are putting limits on what they can take.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Even if you had people select via their RSVP cards, they'd walk up to a buffet and get whatever looked better in the moment. So that's not going to help you with quantities.

Plus, the whole point of a buffet is that people get more of what they want, less of what they don't want. So if someone says, "I'd like two pieces of chicken" is the server going to say "no sir, you can only have one"? And you don't want to get in a situation where you run out of anything. Just order a bunch of each.
    *********************************************************************************

• Thanks everyone. I feel the same way about a buffet but that's how the caterer said they do it. Well since I posted, I've spoke with them and the guests can have whatever they want and it's in the contract.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards