Chit Chat

Do you have a habit or a "thing" that you do all day?

Touching my earrings. Literally all day, at least 1,000 times a day I grab my earring and push the back in & out. I've been trying to break this for years and it never works. I will take earrings out for months at a time to train myself that there's nothing there, and I still keep grabbing for it. Then I eventually put earrings back in thinking it's safe and I go to town on them again! Ugh it's so annoying!

When my husband quit smoking, he explained to me "Imagine never being able to touch your earrings ever again- even though they are right there within reach- that's what it feels like for me to not smoke". So freakin proud of him for doing it!

Re: Do you have a habit or a "thing" that you do all day?

• Apparently I play with my necklace.   I only realize when I don't have one on.  That is rare though. I generally sleep and shower with a necklace on.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I play with earrings a good big too. The biggest thing I do though is pick at my split ends. I've been trying to get my hair cut more often to avoid doing it, but i can't seem to stop. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I know its bad for my skin, but I touch my face all the time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Nail biting :( I find it super gross when I see other people do it so I try not to at work/in public.

I'm better at not doing it when I paint my nails on a regular basis, but if one of them chips I take it as free reign to go to town.

Formerly martha1818

• My hair tends to spend most of the time in a ponytail. However, I have a habit of taking it down and putting it back up again a lot. If it starts to droop or fall out, I'm playing with it.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I play with my necklace too. I used to pick at my nails to the point that they were gross and super short and would hurt all the time. Somehow I finally broke that habit so now they're always long, but I'm OBSESSED with the thought that there might be stuff under them, so I constantly dig under one nail with another nail. I do it so much that I annoy myself, but I have no idea how to make myself stop.
  • I try to crack my neck. I have several bulging discs in my neck and I get uncomfortable some times so I got into the habit of trying to relieve the pressure by cracking my neck.

• Lately I've been messing with my split ends. I need a haircut really bad. I like the little "pop!" when I pull apart a broken hair. This has been driving H nuts. 

If there is something to pick at, I will pick it. 
  • Does peeing count? Because I drink so much water that I pee every 20 minutes while I'm at work.
    ~*~*~*~*~

• I mess with my face....whether it is touching it or feeling for bumps or dry skin. It's awful.

DH is a nail biter.

• FiancB said:

Lately I've been messing with my split ends. I need a haircut really bad. I like the little "pop!" when I pull apart a broken hair. This has been driving H nuts. 

omg me too...I will be rubbing DH's back and stop to pick at things- he hates it! Although he was mighty impressed last weekend....he's had a blackhead in the middle of his forehead for about a year. Not even lying, at least a year. Finally I said fuck it I'm going for it and I started poking and extracting and I got that sucker out!

• I'm always playing with or touching my hair. All day long. It's part of the reason why I straighten it every day - if I left it in its natural state (wavy), I would play with it so much all the wave falls out and it gets frizzy because I can't stop touching my hair. 

H is a picker. He is CONSTANTLY picking at his skin and it drives me batty. He hates that his skins breaks out so much but then he picks at it and makes the problem worse because he's getting all the oil and grime from his hands on his skin.

• louxnoellelouxnoelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    I run my hands through my hair. I used to do it onstage and my professors and directors would all freak out at me. It took one of them saying, "That's a louxnoelle thing, not a [character's name] thing. Stop it." for it to really click.

That being said, fuck yeah it's a louxnoelle thing, and I do it constantly.

ETF: words
  • jenna8984 said:

FiancB said:

Lately I've been messing with my split ends. I need a haircut really bad. I like the little "pop!" when I pull apart a broken hair. This has been driving H nuts. 

omg me too...I will be rubbing DH's back and stop to pick at things- he hates it! Although he was mighty impressed last weekend....he's had a blackhead in the middle of his forehead for about a year. Not even lying, at least a year. Finally I said fuck it I'm going for it and I started poking and extracting and I got that sucker out!
  • FiancB said:

I am TERRIBLE this way. I cannot have my natural nails long enough to get under a scab. I wore acrylics for a whole year to try and break that habit, and I failed miserably.

When I was a kid, a lady asked my best friend's mother if I was a "meth baby". I was literally that bad. Thankfully I am no longer that bad, but I still have four barely-healed places on my face that I'm trying very hard to leave alone, and a couple places coming up from having had my eyebrows done last weekend. And a spot on my right-hand bird finger.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I pick at and chew on my fingers. Last year I finally broke my nail biting habit but I still chew the shit out of my cuticles and skin on my fingers. I know it's gross. Oh well. 
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I have a really hard time walking by a mirror wihout stopping to squeeze out a few blackheads/pop a few zits that aren't really zits yet. It sucks, because my skin was great in high school before I started doing this. Now I'm pushing 30 and look like pizza face McGee. 

H had a big zit yesterday and I wanted to pop it so bad! I have a hard time with piercings too- I got a keloid with my nose piercing because I couldn't stop messing with it. Good thing my tattoo is where I can't reach it. 

This is gross, scroll fast if desired....

One of my favorite things about working at a dairy was milking the cows that had mastitis (milk just got thrown away, but they still needed to be milked). It's like popping a GIANT zit. It's glorious. 
  • I play with my necklace too. I used to pick at my nails to the point that they were gross and super short and would hurt all the time. Somehow I finally broke that habit so now they're always long, but I'm OBSESSED with the thought that there might be stuff under them, so I constantly dig under one nail with another nail. I do it so much that I annoy myself, but I have no idea how to make myself stop.

This is me exactly. Playing with my necklace or picking at my nails. I'm trying so hard to break the habit so I have something that resembles a nail on our wedding day, but it is just not working.

I also pull out my eyebrows when i'm stressed. I don't even notice i'm doing it until i get home and there's a chunk missing. I'm going to have to try and stay very zen closer to the wedding date otherwise it will be completely drawn on eyebrows for me. 
  • I do almost all of these. I mess with my earrings, play with my necklaces, am a nail biter. I usually have acrylics but have successfully figure out how to bite or pick at my real nails without messing up the fake ones. Any hair not up in a bun or ponytail gets continuously braided and unbraided all day. I pick at everything and drive FI crazy with it.

TMI-I have on numerous occasions noticed a zit or black head feeling lump on FI during sex and made mental note of the location just so the second we are done I can pick at it.

To top it all off im a smoker so between my little habits and smoking i basically spend all day with something in my hand or mouth.
  • I can't wear bracelets or rings because I play with them constantly. My engagement ring is a bit too big and I spin it around my finger non-stop all day unless I'm typing. I even drive myself crazy.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @ashley8918 you think my anecdote was nasty- did you see @fiancb 's? hahah

• I'm another hair toucher. Even if my hair is in a bun I like to touch it. If its down, I'm basically finger combing it all day. Or flipping it over my shoulder. Then separating it so it evenly falls on my chest. Then flipping it over the other shoulder.

Yeah.

• jenna8984 said:

FiancB said:

I also pick at my H. It is a terrible habit, but I cant just let a whitehead stay there.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • jenna8984 said:

@ashley8918 you think my anecdote was nasty- did you see @fiancb 's? hahah

GAHHHHHHHHHHH

• KahlylaKahlyla member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

Nail biting :( I find it super gross when I see other people do it so I try not to at work/in public.

I'm better at not doing it when I paint my nails on a regular basis, but if one of them chips I take it as free reign to go to town.

This. :( I can pretty much force myself into breaking the habit with sheer will, but I will occasionally give in and go right back to it for a while.

"I try to crack my neck. I have several bulging discs in my neck and I
    get uncomfortable some times so I got into the habit of trying to
    relieve the pressure by cracking my neck."

And this too. Can we multi-quote on this forum?
  • Kahlyla said:

Nail biting :( I find it super gross when I see other people do it so I try not to at work/in public.

This. :( I can pretty much force myself into breaking the habit with sheer will, but I will occasionally give in and go right back to it for a while.

I think so. I've never tried but have seen others do it

• I bite my lips all the time. It's aweful! I am also a hair toucher. All day everyday!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I'm a nail biter. I am trying so hard to quit!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• jenna8984 said:

Kahlyla said:

I think so. I've never tried but have seen others do it
    You just click quote on each person you want to quote and it brings it all down.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards