Chit Chat

Do you have a habit or a "thing" that you do all day?

2»

Re: Do you have a habit or a "thing" that you do all day?

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited April 2015
    I'm a major picker -- I CANNOT try things on in dressing rooms without picking at my face. The lighting is just PERFECT to get all those blackheads! I also compulsively pick the chapped skin on my lips. On the rare occasions I get sunburned, the peeling is my favorite part. I just got a new tattoo a week or so ago and it's been in the peeling stage lately and it's FUCKING KILLING ME not to peel it. 

Something that I've been doing my entire life and have never successfully broken is rubbing my fingers together. Like, I rub my thumb and index finger together constantly.  I'll eventually progress to rubbing my thumb along the rest of my fingers, too. Sometimes it gets to the point where I notice I'm doing it, and then have to make sure I rub my thumb along each of my fingers the same number of times. Once I notice I'm doing that, I force myself to stop altogether until I forget about it. I do it so much I don't even realize I'm doing it at all, though, most of the time. This is also my main problem with most nail polishes -- I wear the polish off the edge of my nails almost immediately. 

I'm also a bone cracker. Any and all that I can. Fingers, toes, neck, wrists. 

ETA: I do NOT pick at FI, though. Every once in a blue moon if he has something super awful that he's not dealing with I might poke at it, but otherwise I don't want to pick at him. 
  • I am sitting here dryheaving with all y'all that pick your SOs' places. Like. Literally. So gross. Thanks @fiancb for the warning! Finally the spinner-wheel's click function came in handy. :D
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I am sitting here dryheaving with all y'all that pick your SOs' places. Like. Literally. So gross. Thanks @fiancb for the warning! Finally the spinner-wheel's click function came in handy. :D

HA yeah I though picking at my nails was gross, but picking at my FI... 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a skin picker.  I run my fingers across my skin and if I feel something that isn't smooth I dig and pick at it.  It's really bad and was to the point that I had big marks on my face and I was so self conscious about it.  I've been keeping my nails really short since then and I bought a couple excising tools to use in the mirror which I think helps me not do it with my hands so much.
    I also shake/bounce my leg when sitting.  I don't notice I do it, honestly, until someone is so annoyed that they ask me to stop.

• Chapstick.  All day, every day.  :(
  • Y'all are gross. Worst I do is crack my shoulders. And eat fruit snacks.

• If I haven't had a haircut in a while, I pick split ends.
    *********************************************************************************

• I twirl my hair.  I have done it since I was a baby (at least my mom says I have).   I pretty much do it non-stop when I wear my hair down (which is nearly every day).  FI has been growing his hair out and it's long enough that I can even play with his now when we are watching tv or in bed.
  • esstee33 said:

Something that I've been doing my entire life and have never successfully broken is rubbing my fingers together. Like, I rub my thumb and index finger together constantly.  I'll eventually progress to rubbing my thumb along the rest of my fingers, too. Sometimes it gets to the point where I notice I'm doing it, and then have to make sure I rub my thumb along each of my fingers the same number of times. Once I notice I'm doing that, I force myself to stop altogether until I forget about it. I do it so much I don't even realize I'm doing it at all, though, most of the time. 
    I DO THIS TOO!!! Holy crap I thought I was alone. When I was younger I used to get really freaked out if I didn't touch my thumb equally to each finger.

Weirddd....
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I put my hair in my mouth when I'm thinking.

LOLOLOL @ The grossness. Love it
  • Ah this thread is great. I have OCD and was super horrifically bad at picking my face and pulling out my eyebrows/eyelashes/pretty much any hair, but have thankfully (thanks therapy!) been able to stop. Now I twirl my hair around my fingers like crazy. I also catch myself occasionally running my hair over my face like a paintbrush...lol. That usually happens when I am in deep thought. Sometimes I make a hair mustache too, until I notice someone in my office is seeing me do it and then I turn away and act like it never happened. 
  • Picking at my split ends. Like, to an OCD level where I will seek them out and cut them off, and I will barely notice I am doing it. My old boss/friend used to yell at me about it all the time.

I have been wearing my hair in a braid for the past two weeks to try to break the habit.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • abcdevonn said:

Ah this thread is great. I have OCD and was super horrifically bad at picking my face and pulling out my eyebrows/eyelashes/pretty much any hair, but have thankfully (thanks therapy!) been able to stop. Now I twirl my hair around my fingers like crazy. I also catch myself occasionally running my hair over my face like a paintbrush...lol. That usually happens when I am in deep thought. Sometimes I make a hair mustache too, until I notice someone in my office is seeing me do it and then I turn away and act like it never happened. 

I do this too haha. All my weird habits are hair related.
  • FiancBFiancB member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    "such and such animal has an abscess that needs draining/ or a fatty cyst"

Best. Day. Ever. 

Maybe I should be a wound care nurse after all...

I guess sometimes when getting a facial or whatever there's somebody that's specially trained in extracting blackheads? I want that job. 
  • I play with my rings all the time. I like to pull a ring halfway up my finger and spin it around with my thumb. It's like a nervous twitch.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh I pick at my cuticles and my nails. I need to keep a nail file in my purse to file away chips so that I don't pick at them; it helps. However, I can't be THAT GIRL on the bus who files her nails, so if I have a chipped nail... it'll be ripped by the end of the ride.

I fiddle with all my jewelry all the time. And if I don't wear jewelry, I feel naked and fiddle with non-existent jewelry. 
    Wasn't there some study that people who are fidgety are really intelligent?

I actually have a slinky on my desk; when people come to my office for meetings, I end up playing with the slinky while I speak with them. I think this is weird, but my hands just must be occupied. 

• 4forluck said:

I twirl my hair.  I have done it since I was a baby (at least my mom says I have).   I pretty much do it non-stop when I wear my hair down (which is nearly every day).  FI has been growing his hair out and it's long enough that I can even play with his now when we are watching tv or in bed.

Me too! I have curly hair, and I'm constantly playing with it. Teachers growing up always commented on it, and now all my co-workers comment on it. I would stop, but I need something to keep my hands busy, and twirling is the first thing I do.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    FiancB said:

"such and such animal has an abscess that needs draining/ or a fatty cyst"

Best. Day. Ever. 

Maybe I should be a wound care nurse after all...

I guess sometimes when getting a facial or whatever there's somebody that's specially trained in extracting blackheads? I want that job. 
    My H told me I missed my calling as a dermatologist because I love to extract pimples (from my face, his body, anywhere!)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Crack my knuckles.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards