Chit Chat

Sitting at reception tables for ceremony?

I wasn't sure whether to post this in ceremony or reception ideas, or ettiquette, so I figured I'd just post it here.

We're having two ceremonies at our wedding. The first regular ceremony, followed by a Korean ceremony (paebaek). We plan on having the Korean ceremony during the cocktail hour to avoid any gaps that would arise from us having to go change. I feel like that also allows people to choose whether or not to watch the Korean ceremony.

Due to size constraints in the other areas of the venue, the only real way to do this while ensuring every butt has a seat, would be to have everyone sit at the reception tables during both cermonies. The ceremonies would occur on what would later turn into the dance floor.

Tell me knotties, is this ok? Would you side eye it? Would you find it weird? Hit me with what you've got!

Re: Sitting at reception tables for ceremony?

• I wouldn't side eye that at all.  There's seats, and that's what matters to me. 

• louxnoellelouxnoelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited April 2015
    I'm 99% sure this is the route we're going, unless another solution presents itself before January.

We're having our ceremony and reception at the same venue, which is not a traditional wedding venue, and there's only one room it will be happening in. The main room is the house of the theater, and cocktail hour will happen in the lobby.

The initial thought was to flip the theater from floor-seating to tables during cocktail hour, but that freaks me out for numerous reasons, so the tables will be set up when people get there.

At first I was worried about it being awkward and getting side-eyed because it felt very dinner-theatre. The more I ruminated on that though, I thought of maybe putting a box of nice popcorn and a glass of champagne at each seat with a note that says "Enjoy the show!"

Maybe it will still be weird, who knows, but I feel better having embraced it, and ultimately I'm being a better host by making sure everything is set and ready to go for my guests ahead of time.

ETF: spelling
  • That's what we did when we had to move our ceremony inside due to weather concerns. Worked out great, and no one thought it was weird.
  • I'm 99% sure this is the route we're going, unless another solution presents itself before January.

We're having our ceremony and reception at the same venue, which is not a traditional wedding venue, and there's only one room it will be happening in. The main room is the house of the theater, and cocktail hour will happen in the lobby.

The initial thought was to flip the theater from floor-seating to tables during cocktail hour, but that freaks me out for numerous reasons, so the tables will be set up when people get there.

At first I was worried about it being awkward and getting side-eyed because it felt very dinner-theatre. The more I ruminated on that though, I thought of maybe putting a box of nice popcorn and a glass of champagne at each seat with a note that says "Enjoy the show!"

Maybe it will still be weird, who knows, but I feel better having embraced it, and ultimately I'm being a better host by making sure everything is set and ready to go for my guests ahead of time.

ETF: spelling

That's actually a really cute idea! Favors done!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• esstee33esstee33 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited July 2015
    I've been to a ceremony like this and I didn't find it all that weird. 
  • larrygaga said:

Girl. I did not even think of that constituting a favor. Yesssss.

This is why I need you people.

• Totally fine, I've been to several weddings like this where the reception room is the ceremony room and they flip the ceremony space to a dance floor after.  It's not my preference (simply because all the table space puts me further from the ceremony) but it's certainly not rude or side-eye worthy in the least.
  • I've also been to a wedding where they did this and it worked out fine. The only advice I'd give is to make sure that the tables are arranged so that everyone has a good view. You can always turn the chairs around pointing in the right direction so people know how to sit when they arrive.
  • I've been to several weddings like this. Not a big deal at all.

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Awesome! You guys are great! I definitely like the popcorn idea @louxnoelle!
  • edited May 2015
    No problem with having guests sit at their tables for the ceremony. They will be comfortable and settled in and no traveling from one venue to another - more time for partying.

@lousxnoelle - that's really brilliant if you think about it - cabaret seating for every guest. Fits in so perfectly with your theme. I hope you'll share more details of your wedding.

• @lousxnoelle - that's really brilliant if you think about it - cabaret seating for every guest. Fits in so perfectly with your theme. I hope you'll share more details of your wedding.
    Right? That's kind of the route I'm choosing to go with it, haha. Thanks for your kind words - I'm very excited to share details, just don't want to be too self-indulgent. I know "nobody cares about my wedding as much as I do" so I'm trying to contain myself … somewhat. :)
  • @louxnoelle Brilliant! As a former (always?) theatre nerd, I would love to attend such an event!
  • KytchynWitcheKytchynWitche member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    As long as your officiant/s are cool with it, I see no issue. DH's uncle is a Catholic priest, and when we were discussing the possibility of him officiating for us (we ended up going civil instead), he mentioned that it's inappropriate at a religious ceremony because everyone should be focused on the ceremony, and not distracted by the thought of food etc. Just something to think about it.

From a guest point of view, less hopping about from place to place is cool by me!
    imageDaisypath Friendship tickers
  • RezIpsaRezIpsa member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I have been to a couple weddings like this and it is great! I don't have to move around, the chairs tend to be comfortable, and I have somewhere to put my drink!
  • larrygaga said:

If you do this, please put dental floss and dental picks in the bathrooms.  Please.
  • adk19 said:

larrygaga said:

If you do this, please put dental floss and dental picks in the bathrooms.  Please.
    Floss is present and accounted for on the bathroom basket list. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards