Chit Chat

DOC Frustration.. Vent UPDATE

edited May 2015 in Chit Chat
Just need to get this out. I have been looking for a day of coordinator for our wedding and I posted about this before. There seemed to be most people saying they wouldn't do it without it and some saying they wouldn't spend money on it. 

My venue is mostly all inclusive but all of the decoration set up would have to be done by us and I like the idea of being able to just relax with my girls that day while someone else is setting it all up. Prices in the area I'm getting married are crazy but I called around and talked to a lot of them and finally found one that appeared to be at a good price and included everything I was looking for so I asked them to send over a contract so I could look it over.

They had told me on the phone that it would cost $100 each trip to the venue (walk through one day, day of wedding, and possibly one more). When I was reading over the contract it says $100 EACH WAY every time they visit the venue so that adds another $200-$300, plus a possible night in a hotel room for them if it's more than 60 miles from town (the venue is 62 miles). Basically I'm back at square one of "do I spend the money or not" and I'm just super frustrated that they were so vague with the extra costs when I specifically said "my wedding is at X venue, will there be any extra costs because of this". 

Sorry for the rant, don't even know what I'm looking for by posting it I'm just super frustrated!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: DOC Frustration.. Vent UPDATE

• That totally sucks that they are bait and switching you. I would call back and let them know that the contract does not say what they quoted you, and see if they'll stick to the original quote. 

If this doesn't work out, could you look into hiring someone that isn't a professional DOC? Back when I got married, the were a couple people on my local board that traded DOC services with each other, or maybe you could find a couple of college kids who would be willing to set up for cheap. 
  • The roundtrip bait-and-switch sucks, but if you do end up going with them, I would think/hope they would waive the hotel room for the difference of a couple miles.
  • Do you live near a college with a hospitality program?  I've known people who have used hospitality management students looking to get into the wedding industry, and it's worked out well for them.  The only downside is it is a student and so your wedding might be their guinea pig. 

• I'd respond back and lay out what was said in your initial convo vs the contract. It could be her standard contract is each way and she forgot to change it to just per visit as you had discussed. Or maybe she is sneaky and baited you in.  Speak up for yourself because it can't hurt to bring it up.  You either end up closer to the price you thought you were getting or you move on.

• Thanks everyone, I did respond to the email questioning those things I pointed out, they came back and said we will not have to do a hotel room but the fee for travel is $200 for each trip. They also made sure to point out that this is typical travel fee for the area (yeah, I've talked to almost every DOC in the area, I know). I like the idea of looking at the college, I will have to do that! I'll pay someone to travel to the venue, but when you are already charging $1250 for 6hrs on the wedding day and then $400 for two site visits that's getting up there! 

My mom also suggested that I talk to one of my cousins, they could use some help financially and she loves party planning. Her suggestion was to just pay her something to do set up of decorations since it would be before the ceremony anyways. That way it would help her out financially, help me out, and she would still just be a guest once the ceremony begins. Not sure on this one though.. thoughts?

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I dunno other people might think differently but I think your cousin sounds like a perfect solution. So long as they're not a crazy drama queen.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • If you're still thinking about looking, maybe you know someone who has done stage management. One of my friends who has been a professional stage manager has also done wedding coordinating. They're a similar type of event with lots of moving parts. But you probably want someone who has done this before.

That said, I think your cousin sounds like a great idea. One of my friend's mothers who is really into decorating did our venue setup. And some friends showed up early (groomsmen's wives) so they volunteered to help decorate. That worked for setup because they all got to be done by the time the ceremony started. 
  • Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better about this. My main concern was set up of decorations. I liked the idea of my cousin because honestly I'm not picky and she is great at decorating for parties.. as long as a centerpiece makes it on each table I'll be perfectly happy! I just didn't like the idea of making anyone "work" my wedding so I was hoping it would OK if it was a set up before and then just enjoy the day.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would reach out to your cousin as well. As long as you're paying her for her work and she doesn't have to work durng the wedding, I'd say it's a great choice.
  • Great news!

I am curious as to what you need to set up as far as decorations? I guess I hadn't considered needing more then the venue to help.

• Awesome! It sounds like shes going to be more of a decorator though than an actual DOC.

On the day of, my transport never arrived to take me from the hotel to the church and the DOC handled that. Also, I later found out the BM couldn't find his tux, the BM got lost on the way to the church and the DOC handled my pissy DJ. Are you just looking for a decorator or an actual coordinator? I, personally, wouldn't want my cousin helping with all that.

imageimage

• The ceremony and reception are in the same lodge, we will also be staying in that lodge and they are doing all of the catering/booze on site. I'm DIYing all decorations so there won't be a florist involved and the DJ is the same one my best friend used so unless he has a complete personality change from then to the time of my wedding I don't think we have any pissy DJs to deal with. The officiant is FIs brother and he will also be at the lodge so there is no wedding day transportation to worry about for us. This venue includes all of the tables, linens, chair set up for ceremony, flatware, glassware etc. so all of that is taken care of before you get there. My biggest concern was the set up of the decorations such as centerpieces, they only allow you to get in there 2hrs prior and between getting ready/pictures I just needed an extra set of hands/eyes to get it all done. 

So no, I don't want her to DOC the wedding, I really needed set up and didn't want to pay the almost $2000 for someone to set it up, get us through the ceremony and to the reception. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards