Nevada-Las Vegas

What did you transport your dress in if you brought it on the plane?

adverbadverb member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
edited April 2015 in Nevada-Las Vegas
Hey ladies. I've seen lots of discussion about taking the dress on the plane, but I want to know what kind of bag (or whatever else) you brought your dress in. Ideally I'd like the groom NOT to see it. I've never had to deal with traveling with a dress this big before. 

Tell me your secrets! Thanks.

Re: What did you transport your dress in if you brought it on the plane?

• I didn't travel on a plane but I received a pink garment bag from the bridal shop that I kept mine in. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought a carry-on garment bag and stuffed my dress in there. Because of the material of my dress, I didn't have any wrinkling issues although I did run a hot shower and hung the dress next to it as soon as we checked into our hotel. The airline was a jerk so they refused to let me hang my dress in the first class closet. 0
    After being together for over 11 years and being engaged for over 3 years, we finally got hitched!
  • xoedenxoeden member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Not married yet, but when I've previously travelled with gowns, it's always been with an extra-long dark colored garment bag, usually of kind of a vinyl material. I have no idea where you get them from, though; I just borrowed mine from my Jobie stuff. :\
  • jayjaayjayjaay member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    I had mine in a garment bag, stored it overhead and not ONE person even tried to stuff something else in that over head! Cute thing passengers on the plane we're all given us best wishes and this older gentleman, he had to be like 80 asked if he could see the dress, it was like a lil old grandpa, of coarse I showed him :-) His reaction was adorable. His eyes got real wide and he said "Beautiful!" Everyone (I'm from NJ) so lots of East Coasters on the plane we're all very considerate.
    Anniversary
  • adverbadverb member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    @MinBride29 - what was your dress made out of that you didn't have to steam it afterward? Mine is organza/satin, so I wasn't sure

For you other two ladies- did you have to professionally steam out your dress, or did you just do the hot shower thing Min suggested. I really don't want to pay for a professional steamer (it's like $100ish). But, it is a wedding dress, so idk :(
  • I had mine steamed. It was $100. I had some tulle so that got wrinkled. I'm not sure I noticed a HUGE difference but I did it anyways haha
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • jayjaayjayjaay member
    The shop that I bought the dress from, packed it in the garment for traveling, it did not wrinkle or move one bit! No steam was necessary(which I was amazed!)
    Anniversary
  • I bought a Black Breathable Wedding Gown Dress Garment Bag from amazon for $11. It was the same material as a reuseable grocery bag, (which is the same as the white one I got from the bridal shop), but it was not see through. I put it over the white one and used both (though I don't think that was really necessary). Worked great for me!
  • It was a lace dress with a tulle and lace appliques @adverb. There was some satiny material in the under layers but yeah it was such a forgiving dress.
    After being together for over 11 years and being engaged for over 3 years, we finally got hitched!
  • Now who shoved their dress in a suitcase for the plane ride home? I'm sure this is what i will try to do haha. 
  • jayjaayjayjaay member
    LOL! @irishvegas I put it right back up in the over head! Once again NO One said boo! People really don't mess w/ a bride!
    Anniversary
  • I used the garment bag from the bridal shop and just laid it over top of everyone's carry on bags in the overhead bin. It worked out very well!

• @irishvegas, I totally stuffed my dress in a garbage bag in my suitcase for the ride home! lol. It was so trashed by then anyways (wine spilled, makeup, etc). It'll get dry cleaned soon enough.
  • Okay so I borrowed my groom's black garment bag and put it in there. Unforuntately it's kinda bunched at the bottom because the train takes up so much room. It kinda looks like a body in there haha.

So out of curiosity, how does the airline know it's a wedding dress? I've heard of airlines making "congrats" annoucements. I kinda want one .. haha. Do I tell them or do they just figure it out?
  • @adverb I'd play the "we're getting married" card wherever you can. You never get this chance again! ;)
  • @adverb - My dress was huge and in a giant black garment bag designed for wedding dresses and not one person said anything to me.  My fiance told the guy next to us that we were going to Vegas to get married and he told the flight attendant who made the announcement.  Most people seemed to mind their own business for the most part so you might have to say something to someone if you want an announcement :) 
  • I had my dress just in a garment bag and walked on the plane with it. In larger planes, they have a coat rack and can hang it in there. Mine was in a light blue bag and so most of the flight attendants (and several around us) asking if we were getting married, as if my excitement wasn't already obvious LOL
  • Thanks all. I'll probably try and hint at it so we can get the announcement. Why not, right? Might as well live it up!

Maybe we can wear our Mickey ears!
  • Did you tell the shop you were getting married in Vegas? The shop i bought my dress from is packing mine into a carry on box for the plane
  • I got mine from online so that wasn't an option haha..
  • Have a look on eBay you might get a nice cheap travel box for your dress
  • Mines going into a dress overhead locker box. I didn't want to chance having it just in the bag. I'm getting a professional 'boxer' to box it up.
  • I had mine in a carry on suitcase in the overhead locker, I packed it with my seamstress into the suitcase the key to minimal creases is to concertina it into the case with layers of acid free tissue in between each concertina. You also line the case with the tissue paper first. I also had my veil, shoes, underwear and headpiece in the case it's amazing what you can fit into this little things just wrap everything in acid free tissue paper. Then do the shower trick as soon as you get to your hotel room :wink:
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I was wondering this myself! I'm not getting married until 2017 but starting all my research now.

I found a thread about this and a lot of people said they carried them on and the airline hung them up in first class for them HOWEVER there were occasions where there were more than one bride on board and there wasn't room for all their dresses and and argument followed! Someone ended up offering to have their dress put into the hold! (My worst nightmare).
    Anyway many people suggested getting a carry on box with acid free tissue paper as suggested above and getting your wedding shop to pack it for you, this way you know you will definitely get it on the plane. Obviously if it wont fit in a hand luggage sized box then you may just have to carry on and hope there's room for it somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards