Chit Chat

Job search dilemma...

I am currently looking for a new job after being laid off.  I had a great Skype interview on Monday with my former employer (different division) for a virtual based position (hence the video interview).

My interview said she was hiring a few positions and wanted them to start at the same time, asked me if there would be an issue with the start date and mentioned that HER boss wanted to talk to the top candidates later this week and then they wanted to get the offers out on Friday.

I followed up with a thank you email and I've been impatiently waiting ever since.  I know there is a a chance that I'm not one of the top candidates, but all of the signs were there.  She was excited about my experience and my personality (she actually said that to me).

I also know that many things could have happened to interfere with their schedule for making the offers, but would it be pushy to send my interviewer a short and polite email asking for an update?

I was thinking something along the lines of:

Dear Ms. Last Name,

Thank you again for your time earlier this week, I remain excited about the (name of position) I interviewed for.  You mentioned a possible second interview with the hope of making an offer on Friday and I sincerely hope I am still being considered for the position.

If you have any additional questions about my qualifications please let me know.

Sincerely,
(me)
photo composite_14153800476219.jpg

Re: Job search dilemma...

• Sounds fine to me. I'd maybe drop a line about something specific you talked about in your interview, like "Thank you again for your time earlier this week, I remain excited about the (name of position) I interviewed for, especially the opportunity to influence (thing)."

• @lolo883  Thanks!  I just wanted to make sure I didn't look pushy by following up.
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • lyndausvilyndausvi mod
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited April 2015

DH interviewed for his current job in  first of Nov.  Was flown out for a tasting a week later.  Was told there were 2 more tastings and he would hear something around Xmas.    Right after the New Year he sent an email wishing them a Happy New Year and stuff.   They responded he was in the running, but they decided to delay the process a little.   Feb 5th he got the offer.

IMO you are still in the same week as the interview.  You've already sent an email this week.  I feel like it's a little soon to send another one.   Things get delayed.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I know you are excited about it, but it hasn't even been a week.  As a non-HR person who does quite a lot of interviews, I would probably find the email a little annoying and pushy.  I would wait at least a week (maybe two).  I promise they haven't forgotten about you this quickly!
  • I would wait at least until Monday.  It's only been four days.  It's good that you sent a thank you note right away though.

• Oh I didn't realize that was just this past Monday. Yeah I'd wait til next week and ask if the positions had been filled.

• I'd wait.  Honestly, if they are going to call you back for a 2nd interview, they will.  I don't think sending them a reminder email that you're interested after you already sent a thank you is going to change their mind if they weren't planning on calling you back. And it just seems to come across as desperate.  

I'm sorry.  I know it's probably what you don't want to hear.  I can imagine it's hard, and I'm very impatient too when it comes to these things!  I get it.  I'd still sit tight though.  And like I like to say with everything, if it's meant to be, it will happen.  Fingers crossed for you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards