Wedding Etiquette Forum

Late Shower Invites

edited April 2015 in Wedding Etiquette Forum
Hi everyone,

My wedding is taking place in about 2 1/2 months and I'm getting ready to send invitations in about a week.  When we first planned the wedding we went with a small guest list because of budget reasons.   A few weeks back, my bridesmaids asked for a list of shower guests and I gave them the names.   We've since had a change in budgeting (Fi's dad has offered to pay for some extra guests).   I would have liked for some of these guests to come to the shower.  My bridesmaids have no problem accommodating a few more guests either, however, the RSVPs are due in 2 weeks.   Is it too late to invite these guests?  I don't want it to look like a gift grab with a short RSVP date, but I truly would love to have these people come to my shower.   

Is it too late to invite them? 

Re: Late Shower Invites

• Hi everyone,

My wedding is taking place in about 2 1/2 months and I'm getting ready to send invitations in about a week.  When we first planned the wedding we went with a small guest list because of budget reasons.   A few weeks back, my bridesmaids asked for a list of shower guests and I gave them the names.   We've since had a change in budgeting (Fi's dad has offered to pay for some extra guests).   I would have liked for some of these guests to come to the shower.  My bridesmaids have no problem accommodating a few more guests either, however, the RSVPs are due in 2 weeks.   Is it too late to invite these guests?  I don't want it to look like a gift grab with a short RSVP date, but I truly would love to have these people come to my shower.   

Is it too late to invite them? 
    It's probably fine, but I wouldn't.  You JUST added these people to the guest list for your WEDDING.  They can't be SO important to you that you MUST have them at your shower.
  • I personally wouldn't, but that's only because I'm wondering how close you are to these people that you didn't initially have them on the wedding invite list? Showers are for your nearest and dearest, so it doesn't seem like these people are that close to you.

Formerly martha1818

• My gut instinct is no. 

• I wouldn't. It's too late and might look gift grabby.
    *********************************************************************************

• edited April 2015
      I have a big extended family and so does my Fi.  The original list was pretty much just immediate family, aunt/uncles, cousins, grandparents and my bridal party. My BP is my cousin, 2 friends from high school and my two SILs.   Fi's groomsmen are his 2 brothers, my brother and 1 friend.  We basically didn't invite any friends other than BP members.   We had to say no to them at first because we had to accommodate family.  We basically said we were having a "family only" wedding.   

Fi's dad is paying for extra invites because he realized the majority of the wedding was going to be older people, since we had to cut friends due to budget.  He's giving us the extra invites as a wedding gift.  These are my college friends and an old co-worker I stay in touch with via email/facebook.   
  • I tend to disagree, if the rsvp is 2 weeks out for a shower I wouldn't think twice about adding them if you have room.  They are invited to the wedding now, and are indeed close to you.  I would not add randoms though.
  • I probably wouldn't.  If it were a non-gift giving event, like a bachelorette, then I can see the "Oh, I really want these people there to socialize and have fun"  But at a shower?  You're eating food and opening presents.  It comes off as "Ooooh, more people to give me presents!"

That said, if you really really want to, it probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  Heaven knows I've been invited to gift giving events with far less notice and I really don't think that more informal events require the lead in time for RSVP'ing like a wedding would.

Also, how much time is in between the RSVP date and the actual shower? 
  • I wouldn't.  The RSVP for the shower is 2 weeks out so by the time these people get the invite the RSVP date will be a week to 10 days out.  I mean it will be pretty obvious that they were last minute add ons.  So just enjoy the shower with those that have already been invited and then enjoy your wedding with your newly increased guest list.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards