Chit Chat
Options

Cute or tacky?

This is 100% hypothetical since I'm not even pregnant. But when I am (hopefully) one day, I'd like to not find out the sex. I know how we feel about rhyming stuff being stupid, but how you do feel about something like this on a baby shower invitation?

Little lady or little man?

Either way- a Patriots/ Bruins fan!

I'd love if people got sports related stuff/clothes instead of the 2 generic options at baby stores. Or is that too tacky to write? Not even trying to get ahead of myself, I just think of really weird fucking shit when I can't sleep at 4am haha

Re: Cute or tacky?

• Options
    Girl, you are putting the cart wayyyyyyyyy before the horse. But I dont like it, personally. Too cutesy for my tastes.
  • Options

Honestly dude, I think it's incredibly weird that you're planning baby shower invites when you're not pregnant. 

Eh whatever, just something totally random that popped in my head. People think of baby names they like when they aren't even pregnant. Not like I would ever run to the host and say you must do this.

• Options
    ashley8918ashley8918 member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2015
    jenna8984 said:

Honestly dude, I think it's incredibly weird that you're planning baby shower invites when you're not pregnant. 

Eh whatever, just something totally random that popped in my head. People think of baby names they like when they aren't even pregnant. Not like I would ever run to the host and say you must do this.

www.livejournal.com

• Options

jenna8984 said:

www.livejournal.com

OK well I've been around long enough to not DD. So take out the hypothetical "shower for myself" and just go with "what would you think if you got an invitation with this on it?"

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

jenna8984 said:

www.livejournal.com

OK well I've been around long enough to not DD. So take out the hypothetical "shower for myself" and just go with "what would you think if you got an invitation with this on it?"

I would roll my eyes. But I really dislike cutesiness of any sort.
  • Options
    I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with someone throwing a sports/team themed baby shower...

But I liked getting the essentials at my baby shower and just buying clothes, etc myself.
  • Options
  • Options
    Oh my god. All the eye rolls. How about you start adjusting now to accepting whatever gifts people give your non existant children gratefully instead of trying to channel them into a theme.

May you be fruitful and multiply, and blessed with a pack of rabid Giants/Devils fans.
  • Options
    It's not weird to think about names. That's a pretty big and fun part of having a child. They will most likely have that name forever. Unless you name them la-a and they change it when they're older. 

Thinking of shower invites (when you shouldn't even be planning your own shower) and then asking for opinions about it is weird. Sorry girl. 
  • Options
    I think the poem part makes it even tackier.  But I don't do cutesy kinda stuff, I think it's all weird.

• Options
    @banana468 oh yea, good points!

• Options
    MagicInk said:

I really fucking hate this line. If it's a girl she's a "little lady" cute and sweet. Quiet and docile. And if it's a boy he's a "little man" strong, loud, able, masculine.

Didn't mean it like that AT ALL. Lady is just a word for woman, like on the door where it says "ladies restroom".

• Options
    Oh and usually when you're preggo people buy stuff off the registry.

And making a poem like this doesn't suggest to people to buy sports related things for said child.  It just states the parents sports affiliations.

I'd just scrap this whole idea.

• Options
    Lady is so much more than a word for woman. For starters, the male equivalent is gentleman, not man. And you didn't use that. And it's a baby not a lady or a man anyway.
  • Options

Lady is so much more than a word for woman. For starters, the male equivalent is gentleman, not man. And you didn't use that. And it's a baby not a lady or a man anyway.

sorry, didn't know everyone was going to get so fucking knit-picky. Literally every one of my friends who have a son often refer to them as their "little man", god forbid.

• Options
    That's the danger of tacky cutesy poems. People hate them, and it draws more attention to careless words.
  • Options
    MagicInk said:

jenna8984 said:

MagicInk said:

I really fucking hate this line. If it's a girl she's a "little lady" cute and sweet. Quiet and docile. And if it's a boy he's a "little man" strong, loud, able, masculine.
    Didn't mean it like that AT ALL. Lady is just a word for woman, like on the door where it says "ladies restroom".
    Wow...thanks for explaining that to me. I usually stand outside bathrooms really confused until I piss myself.

Lady is a loaded term. It doesn't just mean one of the female gender. It means a nice girl. A good girl. Woman is also a word that means woman. Why not little woman or little man? Little girl or little boy?

OK. clearly that's not what it means to me, but point taken.

• Options
    jenna8984 said:

sorry, didn't know everyone was going to get so fucking knit-picky. Literally every one of my friends who have a son often refer to them as their "little man", god forbid.
    Well sure. Being a little man, like being a man, is a good thing. Being a man means privilege in this world.

Being a lady means waiting for one of those men to show up and help you. It means being quiet and being a "good" girl and a "nice" girl and doing what you're told.
  • Options
    You realize you don't get to just redefine words to suit your personal preference right? Lady does not mean just a female human of adult age. That word is woman. Lady means something different.
  • Options

You realize you don't get to just redefine words to suit your personal preference right? Lady does not mean just a female human of adult age. That word is woman. Lady means something different.

Words have many meanings. I just looked it up in the dictionary and it listed several meanings- one of which yes, you are correct was polite and refined woman. Another was any woman.

• Options
    Seriously? You're just wrong! Try Merriam-Webster. Or the OED. Read them. Maybe consider learning something? It can be fun.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:

Words have many meanings. I just looked it up in the dictionary and it listed several meanings- one of which yes, you are correct was polite and refined woman. Another was any woman.
    Dude, you should know better than to rely on the "dictionary definition" when you're trying to defend the use of a heavily-connotated word.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards