Chit Chat
Options

Ring Craziness

Went to a jewelry store to get my ring cleaned before the wedding and they informed me that my setting was not only extemely loose and in danger of falling out, but the diamond was also cracked in such a way that it could only have been done when it was set. Well the stone has been loose since the day I got engaged and we took it back to the jewelry store 3 times to address the problem, each time the jeweler would tinker with it a bit and tell us "princess cuts aren't supposed to be too tight." He seemed like a nice, honest guy so we believed him; it's clear now that it wobbled from his mistake and he fed us that lie. We immediately went to him and sternly asked he fix the problem. He said he'd trade it out for a diamond of better quality to make up for our trouble....great, problem solved.

Until we take it to another jeweler to redo the setting (didn't trust him to do it again) and they said the entire setting is sized awful (they said it was the shape of an oval; it never did fit perfect) and the prongs are damaged so bad that they have to completely replace it.

So, now we're scrambling with really only 3 business days until the wedding to replace the ring. It's from a company in New York so hoping it'll come in time and in the right size. I'm disappointed BUT more excited to marry my best friend with or without my gorgeous ring. Not worth stressing over.

So I guess the moral of the post is ALWAYS get your ring inspected/appraised at a different place than you buy/set it to make sure nobody is ripping you off, especially if your gut is telling you something is wron (Like, "diamonds don't wobble").
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Ring Craziness

• Options
    I recommend taking it to Badler in NYC if you're local. They are our family jewlers & did a wonderful job w/our ring. I'm sorry you are going through this but try not to stress about it before the wedding. The ring is a nice but inessential part of getting married :)
  • Options
    Yikes! I'm glad you at least found the problem now rather than later/after losing a stone or something.

• Options
    Fingers crossed that you get the ring in time for the wedding. But you have a great attitude about it. The important things are that: a.) you'll be marrying a wonderful person and b.) you won't have to worry too much about losing the stone. It's so close to your wedding. Very exciting!

Then happy I, that love and am beloved 
    Where I may not remove nor be removed.

--William Shakespeare (Sonnet 25)

• Options
    Thanks to all for the kind words :) I am very glad I discovered the problem before the stone fell out because then in would be an at-fault insurance claim for us.

@onefootinthebayou, we are actually located in Florida but the setting needs to be shipped from New York though Gabriel and Co. They were great working with my fiance the first time so fingers crossed!!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards