Chit Chat

Camping advice?

melbensomelbenso member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited May 2015 in Chit Chat
So, I will be going camping for the first time in about 20 years this week.  My husband goes camping a couple of times a year, so he's got most of the basics covered.  But I had more of a girly camping question...

I got my hair cut into a lovely little pixie cut a few months ago.  But when I wake up in the morning, it's sticking up in every direction and will not be tamed without a shower.  The camp does have showers, but only a couple for a lot of people, so I might not have access to them when I want to. While I'm not planning on blow drying it and styling my hair, I'd prefer not to have my hair sticking up like a badly styled faux-hawk all them time. Anyone have any suggestions on how to easily tame the craziness until I can get it washed? 

Also, suggestions on how not to drive my outdoors loving husband to crazy while sleeping in a tent for the first time in several decades would be appreciated.  :)

Re: Camping advice?

• Dry shampoo. Or a hat. 

I love camping. H and I go often. Make sure to have enough food and alcohol and fire wood. And bug spray. 
  • Maybe bring a spray bottle for water so you can wet down any crazy areas, and some dry shampoo to stretch between washes.
  • Eh just throw a hat on. Or rinse it out under the spigot. Nobody will care what your hair looks like. Actually for that reason, you might have better luck than you think getting a shower. I find they're usually busier earlier so I go around 10 or 11.

• Is there a water fountain you can run to? I have a short hair cut and I have the same issue when I wake up in the morning. I just put some water on it and that seems to work. Though my hair is very straight. Also, what helps to avoid the badly styled faux-hawk is wearing a hat. Since it is still spring, I'll toss on my beanie from the winter. After maybe an hour I'll take it off and viola! Wonderful short hair styled by my hat. You could wear a baseball cap.

So what do you mean by driving your husband crazy? Are you saying you can't sleep on the hard ground? Concerned about it being too cold and not being able to sleep that way? Scared of the bugs? For me - because I love camping but have such a hard time sleeping in a tent on the hard ground I have a blow up mattress. (You can hook up the pump to the car). I also bring tons of blankets along with my sleeping bag and that helps keep me warm at night. Bring hoodies and tons of socks - actually extra clothes in general is a good idea as well. If your husband is against blow up mattresses (some people believe it's not real camping) see if you can use something similar to a yoga mat. That will really help to ease the aches and sores in the morning though it may not be as comfortable as an air mattress.

Happy camping!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Dry shampoo. Or a hat. 

I love camping. H and I go often. Make sure to have enough food and alcohol and fire wood. And bug spray. 
    This is my suggestion. 

As for sleeping, I have a hard time sleeping outside as well. I sleep in a semi-fetal position so it always hurts my neck. Are you doing drive up camping? It sounds like probably so since there are showers. I'd recommend bringing your own pillow. That is a life saver for me. I also sometimes take a benedryl if I'm having trouble falling asleep. 

Have fun camping! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • BRING FLIP FLOPS FOR THE SHOWER. 

I'd just wrap a towel around your neck and try to get your hair as wet as possible in the bathroom sink if the showers aren't available. Otherwise, bring a headband, a bandana, a hat... 

Have fun!
    *********************************************************************************

• We go camping every July and the first few times I planned to wear cute (albeit outdoorsy) outfits and intended to look my best.  This mentality goes out the window after you've been in the woods for about 12 hours.  I'm sure other people have already mentioned this, but you really shouldn't be thinking about your hair. You're going to have an awesome, RELAXING time and not be thinking about the stuff that's normally on your mind.  That is the point. No phone, no driving, no stress.  Your biggest decision every day will be what to eat and when to eat

You may want to bring a baseball hat to wear if you really feel like your hair is out of control.

Bring some games and books.  Make sure you have a good tarp in case it rains.  I'm sure you'll have a fantastic time - good luck!

• I also bring my own pillow. 
    Accept that you're going to get dirty. Bring plastic bags to store clothes and/or shoes that get dirty. I also like to make sure I have a comfy chair and reading material. And lots of flashlights. 

Bring sponges and dish soap too. And papertowels. And wipes. 
  • My hair (when short) is the same way. I went camping in Yellowstone with a mohawk, I wore hats 24/7!
  • Hats.     I were them for sun protection anyway.  Which give means I already have hat head.

Flip flops for the shower.

We now "camp" in an RV.  We have full bathroom with a shower, climate control and power for hair dryers.  I still use the campsite shower (larger, better pressure). I do not bring a hair dryer.   I'm wearing a hat the majority of the time.

Mostly I take a shower before dinner.  Air dry my hair.  Then the plop on a hat the next day.   90% of the women walking around the camp site look the exact same way.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I agree with PPs - just throw on a hat!

I love camping, SO and I try to go as much as we can every summer. I've never gone somewhere with a shower and my hair gets all sorts of crazy and honestly I don't give a shit about it. Nobody will care what your hair is doing.

• We camp and backpack all the time. Here are a few things I find make an ENORMOUS difference in comfort while camping:

1. Get a thick (like 2+ inches) inflatable sleeping pad. They are way better than foam.
    2. Agree with the PPs who suggest bringing your own pillow.
    3. Bring extra warm layers of clothes even if you think you won't need them.
    4. Forget about your hair. Cover it with a hat or bandana.
    5. Wipes are your best friend when it comes to personal hygiene.
    6. Bring ear plugs. People are noisy and annoying in shared campgrounds. And also things like crickets and birds wake me up.

Have fun!
  • Have fun! I love camping! I can't help much since when we camp there is never a shower (no camp grounds) and I love that feeling of awesomeness when you take the first shower in a week when you get home. Hats are your friend, no need to worry about your hair, just pull one on in the morning. If there is a lake near you that usually turns into my "shower". I also always take more panties and socks than I need for the amount of days, if you have clean stuff on those parts I find it makes me feel cleaner anyways. 

The suggestions on dish soap are great, but make sure you are taking the biodegradable ones for camping if you plan on dumping out dish soap on the ground, not the dish soap you normally use at home. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I also bring my own pillow. 

Accept that you're going to get dirty. Bring plastic bags to store clothes and/or shoes that get dirty. I also like to make sure I have a comfy chair and reading material. And lots of flashlights. 

Bring sponges and dish soap too. And papertowels. And wipes. 
    OOH YEAH WIPES. Like wet ones. They are the best thing ever. 

Also, make sure yall have dry firewood. One time we went and it said you could by firewood, but it was all wet so we had to go to be early since we couldn't keep the fire going. Lame. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • It's all about the bandanna! When my hair was short I'd just throw a bandanna over it, pirate-style, when it started getting weird. But honestly, the best advice I can give is to give zero fucks about how you look while you're camping. It's the wisest course, trust me.

Agree with others re: camping pad. Get something cushy--I was shocked the first time I slept on the ground since childhood a few years ago. The adult body is not so accustomed to the hard ground, let me tell you. 

FI and I actually got a small air mattress last time. NO REGRETS. Even though it's lame as hell.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • swiftsticksswiftsticks member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2015
    I love camping! I second PPs about wearing a hat. 
    I try to wear a baseball hat that's washable (lightweight one for sports/running instead of the canvas ones for sports teams) so that I can put bug spray on the outside of hat for added protection. I spray the outside of the hat and avoid the forehead rim to prevent getting bug spray into my eyes.

I bring ear plugs and an eye mask for sleeping. It can get bright very early, which then wakes up the birds. We go car camping and we bring an inflatable air mattress+pillows. FI and I learned last year to pack a spare blanket, no matter how warm the forecast is. You could use it as an additional layer if it's chilly or use sit on it like a picnic blanket if it's warm.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Here's my pro camping tip:

Get a hotel.

hahahah this is my style! I've been reading this thread thinking "Why would anyone voluntarily do these things?"

Get a hotel.

Here's my pro camping tip:

Get a hotel.

I've realized that I hate camping.

Get a hotel.

Here's my pro camping tip:

Get a hotel.

I've realized that I hate camping.
    Rv's are fun.

We slept in a real queen size bed.  Had a shower (too small), toilet, 3 burner stove, oven, microwave, dining table, plug in power (but had a generator if we needed), heat/ac and even cable if we wanted.

I would be fine in a tent.  DH, not so much.  Rv camping is more his style.

The one we use is 28 feet.  Ours was one of the smaller ones.   There were some that looked like full blown houses on wheels.   

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:

Rv's are fun.
    Who wants to make the effort to bring their house with them when they go camping.

Again, that's what hotels are for.

(As you can see, I'm not really a wilderness girl - thanks mom!)
  • lyndausvi said:

Rv's are fun.
    Who wants to make the effort to bring their house with them when they go camping.

You know, I thought the same way.   Then we took one out.  It's like the best of all worlds.  You get your own bed, pillow, etc.  You can cook at your place or in case of rain in your own place.  But you can bring all your toys and do all the fun stuff camping give you. 

We brought our bikes and dogs.   We would go biking and hiking. Dogs hung out in the RV.  At night we sat around camp fires, cooked out.   Hotels do not always allow you the same luxuries. 

We met a lot of cool retired-aged people with those huge buses.  They tow cars and their 4x4's.   They were basically just traveling around to various locations for a  month or so. They still hiked, biked, 4x4, cooked out, hung out by the camp fires.  They just had a more comforatable bed at the end of the night.

• lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

Rv's are fun.

You know, I thought the same way.   Then we took one out.  It's like the best of all worlds.  You get your own bed, pillow, etc.  You can cook at your place or in case of rain in your own place.  But you can bring all your toys and do all the fun stuff camping give you. 

We brought our bikes and dogs.   We would go biking and hiking. Dogs hung out in the RV.  At night we sat around camp fires, cooked out.   Hotels do not always allow you the same luxuries. 

We met a lot of cool retired-aged people with those huge buses.  They tow cars and their 4x4's.   They were basically just traveling around to various locations for a  month or so. They still hiked, biked, 4x4, cooked out, hung out by the camp fires.  They just had a more comforatable bed at the end of the night.

Us too!  We go to a music festival out west of Grand Junction every year.  It's "dry" camping... ie no hookups or anything, and after a few days the porta potties get pretty disgusting, so thank god for our camper.  Plus, we can walk to the concerts rather than having to drive in or take a shuttle.  The first two years we shared a camper with FI's parents, but now we have our own and it's AMAZING.  We now head out early and camp a few days ahead of time.  Last year we were just in a park in Fruita, this year we're doing Glenwood Springs, and I'm so stoked.  I love meeting the people in campsites/RV parks while not having to sacrifice the comforts of home, and we will sometimes drive into town anyway to eat lunch or dinner at a restaurant. 

To the OP, I grew up going camping in places where there weren't showers.  My mom's solution was heating up water in a kettle over the fire, and giving her hair a quick rinse with that so it would settle down (she has short wavy hair).  If we were out there for a long time, she'd wash it with some shampoo after a couple days. 

Married 9.12.15
  • Oh also those Neutrogena face wipes are awesome for camping.  We also have wet ones/baby wipes for wiping down hands and feet but they make my face break out. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • ElcaBElcaB member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hats. Headbands. Bandanas.
  • lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

Rv's are fun.

Us too!  We go to a music festival out west of Grand Junction every year.  It's "dry" camping... ie no hookups or anything, and after a few days the porta potties get pretty disgusting, so thank god for our camper.  Plus, we can walk to the concerts rather than having to drive in or take a shuttle.  The first two years we shared a camper with FI's parents, but now we have our own and it's AMAZING.  We now head out early and camp a few days ahead of time.  Last year we were just in a park in Fruita, this year we're doing Glenwood Springs, and I'm so stoked.  I love meeting the people in campsites/RV parks while not having to sacrifice the comforts of home, and we will sometimes drive into town anyway to eat lunch or dinner at a restaurant. 

To the OP, I grew up going camping in places where there weren't showers.  My mom's solution was heating up water in a kettle over the fire, and giving her hair a quick rinse with that so it would settle down (she has short wavy hair).  If we were out there for a long time, she'd wash it with some shampoo after a couple days. 

I live not too far from Glenwood.

• lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

Rv's are fun.

Have you ever been to any of the RV places in Glenwood?  There's two I guess, and then one over in New Castle.  None of them have great reviews but I really want to try one out since it's so pretty there.  Or do you know of any others somewhat close?  We're coming from Denver and last year we did the entire trip to Fruita in one day and it was a bit brutal/long/windy so having a closer place to camp for a few days will be nice.
    Married 9.12.15
  • lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

Rv's are fun.

We camped with a pop-up trailer when I was a kid. It was a nice combination of creature-comforts (flat beds with mattresses! Decent cover against rain!) and "roughing it" (we still cooked on the campfire unless it was downpouring, didn't have TVs/electricity/bathrooms, etc.)

I tent camp now because it's cheaper and easy with just adults and a dog, but you can bet I'll push for the pop-up once we have kiddos. 
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

lyndausvi said:

Rv's are fun.

Have you ever been to any of the RV places in Glenwood?  There's two I guess, and then one over in New Castle.  None of them have great reviews but I really want to try one out since it's so pretty there.  Or do you know of any others somewhat close?  We're coming from Denver and last year we did the entire trip to Fruita in one day and it was a bit brutal/long/windy so having a closer place to camp for a few days will be nice.
    I've never been any of them.  Sorry.  Still pretty new to the area.  Plus Glenwood  and New Castle are too close for me to want to camp.

Ruedi is out of your way by an hour or so, but it's beautiful up there.  Never stayed at the campground, but we plan on it this fall.

• Not sure where you're going camping, but since you live on Hoth, here's my camping advice:

Whatever you wear during the day, make sure your don't wear it to bed.  We sweat through the day, and at night if you keep your socks on for example, the sweat left in the clothing will get colder as you sleep and you'll start to freeze.  I wear my next days socks to bed to keep my feet warm.  

If it's colder out at night, bring a toque to sleep in.  It will also keep you warmer at night.  

DH loves camping with me, since it's the only time he gets to cuddle up to me all night long.  I get cold sleeping while camping so he keeps me warm.  At home, it's too hot.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards