Chit Chat

Crosswalk question/rant

Re: Crosswalk question/rant

• I wonder if car culture vs. walking or bike culture is especially correlated. I think it's clear that in pedestrian-heavy places (like NYC, or my tiny hometown, or where I went to college and everyone walked) the cars tend to stop. But what about elsewhere? Anyone have experience with a place that is generally car-oriented but particularly good about yielding to pedestrians? I cite All the European cities as the converse--people walk everywhere, en masse, but the day I jaywalk in Paris is the day I die. Dem Puegeot drivers are maniacs!
    For the most part, in Alberta, jay walking is illegal.  As in, you'll get tickets for crossing a dead empty road at 2am with no cars in sight if the Police see you.  But people here also tend to have an attitude of "I'm walking here!!" that cars should always stop for them.   But yes, in crosswalks, cars have to stop for pedestrians waiting, otherwise its a $400-something fine.  The exception seems to be in the touristy mountain towns, but there everyone has to stop for elk and moose too.  

I've also lived in small city England, where the rule seemed to be walk wherever/whenever you want, but if you do it illegally and get hit, then it's your own damn fault.  I've also seen people there start to cross and head back when they realized they couldn't safely make it, or stop in the middle, let the car go by and then keep going, so they seem responsible enough to handle the crossing to do it that way.  People here will jump out into the street, make you slam on your breaks and then give you the finger while they keep going, so obviously we still need the jaywalking tickets.    

• DH and I almost got hit while walking in a crosswalk at an intersection that had a stop sign. The girl driving the SUV was paying so much attention to her right (to look for oncoming traffic on the one-way street she was intersecting) that she didn't even bother to glance to the left or straight ahead of her (where we were). I had to pull DH of the way, and even then she missed us by inches. I started yelling (fear = yelling) and she was very apologetic. But seriously. Look where you're driving!
  • afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    This post reminded me FI was hit by a pedestrian while he was driving. He stopped at a stop sign, then was making a right turn when a jogger decided to sprint out into the street so she wouldn't have to stop. She ran into the side of his car be cause he was already well into the cross walk when she reached the corner. Luckily she wasn't injured, but she did make a scene about him "running her over". A few people witnessed the event and agreed she was the dumb ass who should have looked before running into a moving vehicle. 
  • sophhabobophasophhabobopha member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    What sucks around here is the bicyclists doing whatever the fuck they want and swerving right in front of my car.

• I would like to put this out there FTR because it was on tonight's local news.

5 months ago 2 people up in Bellingham were drunkenly walking home (instead of driving) and walked against a "do not cross" sign and they were hit....by a state patrol car...Guess who has the ticket...the pedestrians...and frankly I agree. 

There is being safe and there is being stupid. I drive incredibly safely, but have I almost hit people who are running across a street at night wearing dark clothes..yes. 

I feel like the "yield to pedestrians" only pertains when the pedestrians are also making every attempt to obey traffic laws. 
    Anniversary
  • I would like to put this out there FTR because it was on tonight's local news.

5 months ago 2 people up in Bellingham were drunkenly walking home (instead of driving) and walked against a "do not cross" sign and they were hit....by a state patrol car...Guess who has the ticket...the pedestrians...and frankly I agree. 

There is being safe and there is being stupid. I drive incredibly safely, but have I almost hit people who are running across a street at night wearing dark clothes..yes. 

I feel like the "yield to pedestrians" only pertains when the pedestrians are also making every attempt to obey traffic laws. 
    WUT.

Sooo, if someone is jaywalking, you dont feel like you need to yield? You are cool to just mow them down?
  • afox007afox007 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer

I would like to put this out there FTR because it was on tonight's local news.

WUT.

Sooo, if someone is jaywalking, you dont feel like you need to yield? You are cool to just mow them down?
    I kinda have to agree with @smalfrie19. I mean obviously if someone is jaywalking I will stop and avoid hitting them. However, if someone doesn't look and darts out into traffic or decides a dark road is the best place to run in front of a car in dark clothes and they get hit then that is on the pedestrian. Having the right of way doesn't give you the right to be a total douchecanoe.

WUT.

That's not what I got out of her post. I don't know anyone on this site (besides maybe BSCbeans) who would be like "oh jaywalkers, cool. 10 points each!"

What I got out of it is that you can be a super careful, defensive driver and still hit a pedestrian if they just jaywalk right out in front of your car without looking.
    *********************************************************************************

WUT.

That's not what I got out of her post. I don't know anyone on this site (besides maybe BSCbeans) who would be like "oh jaywalkers, cool. 10 points each!"

What I got out of it is that you can be a super careful, defensive driver and still hit a pedestrian if they just jaywalk right out in front of your car without looking.

Okay, but for real. Clearly that is not what she meant, but when you say "I feel like the "yield to pedestrians" only pertains when the pedestrians are also making every attempt to obey traffic laws. ", that'e exactly what it sounds like. You ALWAYS have to yield to pedestrians (or attempt to, if they come out of nowhere/you have the chance), whether they are obeying the laws or not. It always pertains. It's just a really WTF statement to make.

WUT.

Okay, but for real. Clearly that is not what she meant, but when you say "I feel like the "yield to pedestrians" only pertains when the pedestrians are also making every attempt to obey traffic laws. ", that'e exactly what it sounds like. You ALWAYS have to yield to pedestrians (or attempt to, if they come out of nowhere/you have the chance), whether they are obeying the laws or not. It always pertains. It's just a really WTF statement to make.

Yeah because I am a total homicidal maniac.. You took one sentence and pulled it out of context. You have every right to your opinion about what I said, but I think a majority of people understood what I meant. 
    Anniversary

WUT.

Yeah because I am a total homicidal maniac.. You took one sentence and pulled it out of context. You have every right to your opinion about what I said, but I think a majority of people understood what I meant. 

No, I didn't. It is super in context. It's just kind of a ridiculous statement to make. Words have meanings. You used words that meant a certain thing. Does not pertain = does not apply. This is obviously not what you were saying so, again, such a WTF statement.
  • So to be clear... am I or am I not allowed to run over jaywalkers? What if I'm running late? What if I have to pee? What if they're wearing a Nickelback shirt?

WUT.

No, I didn't. It is super in context. It's just kind of a ridiculous statement to make. Words have meanings. You used words that meant a certain thing. Does not pertain = does not apply. This is obviously not what you were saying so, again, such a WTF statement.

So do you think that anyone who darts out into moving traffic has the logical expectation that they will not in any way get hit? Can you find a concise way to express that sometimes pedestrians make unlawful traffic violations and sometimes the choices of those violations should be their responsibility not the driver of the vehicles? That was what i was trying to imply in a general statement. sorry the way i decided to convey that didn't please you. 
    Anniversary
  • afox007 said:

I would like to put this out there FTR because it was on tonight's local news.

WUT.

I kinda have to agree with @smalfrie19. I mean obviously if someone is jaywalking I will stop and avoid hitting them. However, if someone doesn't look and darts out into traffic or decides a dark road is the best place to run in front of a car in dark clothes and they get hit then that is on the pedestrian. Having the right of way doesn't give you the right to be a total douchecanoe.
    Yup.

WUT.

So do you think that anyone who darts out into moving traffic has the logical expectation that they will not in any way get hit? Can you find a concise way to express that sometimes pedestrians make unlawful traffic violations and sometimes the choices of those violations should be their responsibility not the driver of the vehicles? That was what i was trying to imply in a general statement. sorry the way i decided to convey that didn't please you. 

What the fuck are you even talking about? What does my pleasure have anything to do with saying nonsensical shit?

WUT.

So do you think that anyone who darts out into moving traffic has the logical expectation that they will not in any way get hit?
    Can you find a concise way to express that sometimes pedestrians make unlawful traffic violations and sometimes the choices of those violations should be their responsibility not the driver of the vehicles? That was what i was trying to imply in a general statement. sorry the way i decided to convey that didn't please you. 

Pretty much this. Just as it is sometimes the driver of the car's fault, it is also sometimes the pedestrian's fault.
  • We have a few crosswalks here that have the narrow yellow signs telling drivers to stop for pedestrians. There's one right in front of my gym and I have to use to get from the parking lot to the front door. People speed right through it without stopping. A woman was hit last year. I never just cross without looking, but there have been many times I've been in a crosswalk and a car comes rolling up on me and just doesn't stop. It's really scary.

Jenna - telling Ashley to shut up? Are you fucking kidding me? No, honey. What you did was a textbook case of victim blaming. You need to slow your roll and grab on to some knowledge, babychild. 
  • So to be clear... am I or am I not allowed to run over jaywalkers? What if I'm running late? What if I have to pee? What if they're wearing a Nickelback shirt?

This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • edited June 2015
  • Omg, we get it. Everyone is a knight white and Chit Chat is a shit show.

I think you're trying to say White Knight but you're not using the term correctly on multiple levels.

Anyway, where I am, if pedestrians cross somewhere other than a crosswalk and when it's not lit for them to cross, they get a jaywalking ticket. Yes, cars still have to yield, but they don't have the right of way.
    One guy who had earbuds in walked right into the street when a car was coming, didn't hear him, got hit by the car, and when he was discharged from the hospital the cops were waiting at the hospital doors with a jaywalking ticket for him. They are not messing around, you do NOT get to walk wherever you want whenever you want.
    Was he also blind?  Personally, I navigate with my eyes, so I can walk with earbuds in....

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• emmaaa said:

I follow a few guidelines when it comes to crosswalks.

If I'm driving near a crosswalk:
    1. Be extra cautious and look for people.
    2. If there are people waiting to cross, stop and let them.
    3. If there aren't any people around, drive through the crosswalk and pray to God no one darts out in front of me.

If I'm the pedestrian:
    1. Be extra cautious and look for cars.
    2. If there are cars coming, stop.
    3. If there aren't any cars coming, look both (all) ways, cross, and pray to God no one runs me over.
    QFT. This is me. Tourists People driving in Orlando are looking for Mickey's house, and not usually paying attention. An unfortunate truth. We do not suggest walking in the area I work for this reason, though the lack of crosswalks also supports the anti-pedestrian nature of the tourism district of Orlando.

imageimage

• edited May 2015
    luckya23 said:

Omg, we get it. Everyone is a knight white and Chit Chat is a shit show.

I think you're trying to say White Knight but you're not using the term correctly on multiple levels.

Anyway, where I am, if pedestrians cross somewhere other than a crosswalk and when it's not lit for them to cross, they get a jaywalking ticket. Yes, cars still have to yield, but they don't have the right of way.
    One guy who had earbuds in walked right into the street when a car was coming, didn't hear him, got hit by the car, and when he was discharged from the hospital the cops were waiting at the hospital doors with a jaywalking ticket for him. They are not messing around, you do NOT get to walk wherever you want whenever you want.
    Was he also blind?  Personally, I navigate with my eyes, so I can walk with earbuds in....
    If the car just came out of a driveway or around a corner you might not have seen him, but could have heard him. It's actually a problem with electric cars - they're so quiet, they're twice as likely to be involved in pedestrian accidents. Yes it's more of an issue with the visually impaired, but sighted people could have the same issue.

• luckya23 said:

If the car just came out of a driveway or around a corner you might not have seen him, but could have heard him. It's actually a problem with electric cars - they're so quiet, they're twice as likely to be involved in pedestrian accidents. Yes it's more of an issue with the visually impaired, but sighted people could have the same issue.
    People get hit by cars all the time stepping into a crosswalk listening to headphones. It is a legit concern.
  • emmaaa said:

I follow a few guidelines when it comes to crosswalks.

If I'm driving near a crosswalk:
    1. Be extra cautious and look for people.
    2. If there are people waiting to cross, stop and let them.
    3. If there aren't any people around, drive through the crosswalk and pray to God no one darts out in front of me.

If I'm the pedestrian:
    1. Be extra cautious and look for cars.
    2. If there are cars coming, stop.
    3. If there aren't any cars coming, look both (all) ways, cross, and pray to God no one runs me over.
    QFT. This is me. Tourists People driving in Orlando are looking for Mickey's house, and not usually paying attention. An unfortunate truth. We do not suggest walking in the area I work for this reason, though the lack of crosswalks also supports the anti-pedestrian nature of the tourism district of Orlando.

Most places in NC are not really "walking cities." I mean there is obviously Raleigh, Charlotte, etc but even then it's not like people are usually actively walking to work or to a restaurant. Most crosswalks are in downtown areas where people drive to and then walk around.

FWIW, I walk down my road all the time as part of my daily exercise but it is very rural and not many cars. Even then I am vigilant to make sure I see cars and hear them before they get too close.

• mklammklam member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its First Comment
    In my town, you can't walk around with some person nearly hitting you. Doesn't matter if you're at a red light or one of the flashing crosswalks, they just keep going! 

I walk to get lunch for my bosses and such and I've nearly been hit so many times at one street in particular, so I had to find a new route that didn't involve daily near-death experiences.
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    sarahufl said:

luckya23 said:

People get hit by cars all the time stepping into a crosswalk listening to headphones. It is a legit concern.
    We actually have this problem with the above ground train system in the city too. You'd think people would know to look for trains and they're really loud, but every so often someone is walking with earbuds and doesn't pay attention when crossing the tracks. So sad.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards