Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Beverage containers?

We're having a very small ceremony and an informal picnic in lieu of a traditional reception. We're self-catering and will have one signature cocktail, bottles of water/soda/beer, and iced tea. It's only immediate family (siblings, parents, and nieces and nephews) and a couple friends, about 30 people total. Would it be tacky to have regular pitchers for drinks instead of a more attractive (but more costly) presentation? Being outdoors, I don't want to use anything that can't be closed, so I feel like a plain, lidded pitcher would serve our purposes. Will anyone but me actually notice or care what I put the drinks in, as long as there are drinks? Or should I splurge on something nicer to present them in

Re: Beverage containers?

• Options
    Knottie1429926455 said:We're having a very small ceremony and an informal picnic in lieu of a traditional reception. We're self-catering and will have one signature cocktail, bottles of water/soda/beer, and iced tea. It's only immediate family (siblings, parents, and nieces and nephews) and a couple friends, about 30 people total. Would it be tacky to have regular pitchers for drinks instead of a more attractive (but more costly) presentation? Being outdoors, I don't want to use anything that can't be closed, so I feel like a plain, lidded pitcher would serve our purposes. Will anyone but me actually notice or care what I put the drinks in, as long as there are drinks? Or should I splurge on something nicer to present them in

Don't worry about it.  I
    would worry about keeping the drinks nice and cold.  Make sure you have plenty of ice and somebody (maybe hire a helper for this) to keep everything restocked and fresh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

"I'm not a rude bitch.  I'm ten rude bitches in a large coat."

• Options
    Something like THIS would help keep the drinks cold without watering them down.  I'm sure there are better ones you can buy though.  That one is kind of ugly.  My friend's mom used one for her bridal shower that was very nice and didn't have the weird metal bottom.  I think it was all plastic.  

• Options
    Honestly, if you're not having a bartender, I would just have coolers of ice with the water and soda. You could even get iced tea and lemonade in cans. Little set up, no maintenance and easy clean up.

So the only thing you'd need to worry about would be the signature cocktail. And for that, I like @levioosa's suggestion.
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I would definitely opt for what Belle said - coolers with cans of soda/water/tea/lemonade/etc. because it's easier at the end of the day and nothing is really lost.  As a guest, having a nice cold drink on a warm day is more important than how it's served.  The pitchers with drinks will be far more work for you and the expensive ones just aren't worth it unless it's something you plan to use again at say a holiday gathering at your house.  Even then, depending on what temp it is that day you may lose the "cold" factor incredibly quickly...
  • Options

Honestly, if you're not having a bartender, I would just have coolers of ice with the water and soda. You could even get iced tea and lemonade in cans. Little set up, no maintenance and easy clean up.

So the only thing you'd need to worry about would be the signature cocktail. And for that, I like @levioosa's suggestion.

I've seen premixed cocktails in mason jars with lids. I know, mason jars, but a) cost-effective and b) able to be kept in coolers.

ETA: Just got an email that mason jars are 50% off at Michaels today. :)

I hadn't even thought about portioning out cocktails ahead of time like that. Would be a little more time consuming, but probably well worth it if I don't have to stress about drinks getting warm.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Maybe you can dress the pitchers with ribbons?

Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    Mason jars are pretty expensive. They're like $1.50 each. :/ paper cups are like $3 for 50.
  • Options

Mason jars are pretty expensive. They're like $1.50 each. :/ paper cups are like $3 for 50.

If you buy them in bulk it's around 80cents a piece, depending on how many you buy. I ran it past the man and we're going to wait to see how close we are to budget once it comes time to think about this concept :)
  • Options
    Honestly, I would just have a bar with liquor that they can make themselves unless you really want a "signature" cocktail. If you really want one, then pre make it and put it in mason jars in a cooler. Pint size mason jars are $6 for 12 or 24 at Sam's Club. Walmart also sells them. I think they're $7 for 12. The packs come with the seals and rims. As for the other drinks, if you buy canned sodas, bottled water, etc. then just throw them in a cooler with ice. What's your theme? If it's rustic, you can fill a wheel barrel or galvanized trough (most people have one or more of these laying around the house!) with ice and put them in if you want something more decorative. If you're not using bottled drinks, then I'd go to Ross, T.J. Maxx, or Marshall's and get the class drink dispensers like the one PP posted a picture of, and use those. They run $15-$25. In the long run, that's cheaper. But you'll need to refill the containers throughout the reception.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards