Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Sand ceremony with young children - 7 years old

I am getting married to my fiancé in about a month. I have two children from a previous relationship. We want to include the children in a sand ceremony. We are having trouble deciding how to engrave the glass box since they will not be taking his last name but they do live with us. Can anyone offer us some suggestions? :)

Re: Sand ceremony with young children - 7 years old

• Assuming the kids want to be involved, maybe just do everyone's first names and the date? The engraving doesn't need to be elaborate because you know will know the significance behind it regardless.
  • Unity ceremonies are for the adults saying vows. The marriage ceremony is about the two of you. If you want to incorporate the kids, I would do one or more of the following:

- have them be flower girl/ring bearer
    - have them be bridesmaid/groomsman
    - have them be readers
    - have them as part of the processional
    - give them a special gift before or after the ceremony
    *********************************************************************************

• Unity ceremonies are for the adults saying vows. The marriage ceremony is about the two of you. If you want to incorporate the kids, I would do one or more of the following:

- have them be flower girl/ring bearer
    - have them be bridesmaid/groomsman
    - have them be readers
    - have them as part of the processional
    - give them a special gift before or after the ceremony
    I agree.  I find it a little squicky when minors are involved in the wedding vows of adults.  The kids don't get a say in this wedding.  If you want to have a Family Unity Ceremony, do it privately at home.  Plant a tree so you can watch it grow as your Family Love grows.  Create a family art project; like, four canvases of the same size, only three colors of paint for cohesiveness, and you each get to paint your own canvas however you'd like for it to be placed on the wall of your family living room.  Take a family vacation and make special memories together.  But don't make the kids vow to be united in this new family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards