Budget Weddings Forum
Options

Cakes as centerpieces--opinions?

Since this is a budget-driven question, I thought it should go here...if I'm wrong, please feel free to move it!

As we get down to the final wedding prep days (49 to go!!! eeeek!! so much to do!!!), my fiance and I have started to work out the finer details. As we've looked at things we still need and money that we have left, it's become clear that centerpieces we'd like are not going to happen. I stumbled upon the idea of having mini-cakes as centerpieces and thought it would be a great money saver! Although I realize they can get pricey, these would serve as the wedding cake (a smaller tiered cake would be at the BP's table for us to cut), so would kill two birds with one stone. We'll throw some flower petals around them and some votives and I think it could look really chic (obviously I'm not doing a bang-up job describing what it would look like).

Anyways, I love the idea, my fiance loves the idea, my usually critical mom loves it--but my dad, who's usually pretty laid back, thinks it's disgusting. And another friend, who's opinion I usually value, says no one will cut it/eat it. 

We are having a kid-free wedding, so no sticky fingers in icing to worry about, and I asked someone else who's been to a cakes-as-centerpieces wedding and she said no one had any issues cutting into the cakes, so...I'm turning to you guys!

Opinions? If you were a guest, would you think it was gross? Would you eat the cake if it wasn't cut and specifically handed to you?

(fwiw: our guests are being fully hosted--full meal, open bar, seats for everyone...we're just looking to save wherever we can!)

Re: Cakes as centerpieces--opinions?

• Options
    edited May 2015
    I think food as centerpieces is a great idea! 

But I don't love the cake idea because someone has to cut it, serve it...fingers touch things. Meh, I'm not a fan. But cupcakes would solve all those problems since they're single servings. 

The only problem I could see you running into would be people not understanding that "this is dessert". If I attended a wedding that had cupcakes or cake just sitting there in the middle of the table, I would think it was fair game as an app or a favor. I'd dig in. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    I went to a wedding with this. I didn't eat the cake. All the cakes were done by people the bride knew and not a bakery. I have food allergies. Not happening. If you get a bakery to do it, it may be pricey. 

My other GF did cupcakes at her shower as the centrepiece and just as @Southernbelle0915 said, people at them before dessert. They were actually part of a shower game :) 

I would just do cupcakes on a dessert table.
  • Options
    louxnoellelouxnoelle member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited May 2015
    It could be cute to do small cakes with "cake toppers" that double as table-numbers, similar to the "best day ever" toppers but with numbers spelled out: one, two, three.

Maybe you could keep the cakes under a glass cloche so nobody messes with them (they're a thousand percent off at Michael's right now), and have them brought elsewhere to be cut and served to guests when it's time for dessert?

ETA: photo - or not, just kidding ... It's just of the type of cake-topper I'm describing, I'm sure you know what I mean.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I think it's a super cute idea. To solve the problem of no one eating the cake/knowing when to dig in, could you have someone from the catering staff come around and cut and serve the cakes as people are finishing up their dinner?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options

I think it's a super cute idea. To solve the problem of no one eating the cake/knowing when to dig in, could you have someone from the catering staff come around and cut and serve the cakes as people are finishing up their dinner?

I agree with this. And adults aren't stoopid (okay, most of them) and know that cake comes after dinner. I think it could be really attractive.
  • Options
     I think this could be super cute! I agree that cupcakes would probably be better unless you have someone cutting and serving the cake (to avoid everyone's fingers in the cake). I've seen some really cute (and cheap!) DIY cake/cupcake stands on Pinterest, too. 
  • Options
    I've done this for a bridal shower! It was pretty mini cupcakes in all different flavors arranged on tiered antique cake plates. SO cute. Everyone loved it!

Cakes would be cute as well! Buy some fake pearls or find one at the thrift store and scatter them below the cake. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    I think it's a great idea! And the idea of someone touching the cake to serve it would not phase me at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards