Wedding Recap and Withdrawal
Options

I should have eloped... :( LONG...REALLY LONG

Where do I even start?

Let's see, when the least stressful part of the day is when my daughter (3) step on my dress and tore the whole backside, as we were leaving for the ceremony, thats saying something.

Before I even walked onto the beach, an argument errupted between the families. From what I gathered (from both families) my now 16 year old BIL was handing out the invites to the "surprise" reception that my Inlaws threw for us. My Mother told him she didnt want it "right now", as I was walking down the aisle. His Aunt took it upon herself to walk over to my mother and told her she needed it. When my mother declined again, his aunt called my mother a bit** and a whore. His mother told me after we were taking pictures that my mother hit her and was staring her down.
Now my mom is so easy to egg on, however evern I cant see my mother hitting a woman she has only met twice (once when we were 14 and then the day of the wedding).
While we were standing outside the restarunt my mother proceeds to tell me (in front of my husband) that his mother is a psyco and a bit**.
Once we were seated for dinner, my FIL decides to make a speech, thanking almost everyone for coming, how much he enjoyed meeting my father and stepmother (who showed up to the ceremony, but not the reception) and so on and so forth. In the middle of his less than appropriate speech, my mother slams her hands on the table and screams "Well, guess we are leaving!" told his father to f*** off and that she didnt need to put up with this sh**.
My mother decided to leave early along with most of my family. She called me the next morning to tell me I am not allowed to call her mom anymore, I married into a family full of trash and that the apple doesnt fall far from the tree.
Most of my family believes that I should have stood up for my family in the middle of this speech. I just felt I didnt want to start an even bigger scene in the middle of my wedding.
My husband and I had a rather large argument with his family after the whole days events were over.
Now my mother wont talk to me and has also told me that she doesnt need me to see my daughter, she will go through my ex (who she hates, and has hurt me so much, I cant believe she would do that), most of my family is mad at me for not defending my mom on the spot (in their opinion I should have walked out of my own reception). And to be honest, I am so mad at my inlaws for not being the bigger people, for allowing the argument to continue the way it did.
My husband and I agree that both parties were at fault, but I am so upset about the days events, that I am still, 4 days later, on the verge of tears.
On top of that, I have had several people ask if I am pregnant becasue of how I looked in my dress.
I should have just eloped :(

Re: I should have eloped... :( LONG...REALLY LONG

• Options
    I'm very sorry your wedding did not go as planned. It would be nice for both families to get along and be chummy but this is not the case. Everyone needs some time to cool down. Try to focus on the positive, you're married now!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry you didn't have the day you would have liked.  It's a shame when adults can't behave like such for an event like this.
  • Options

That is really sad that everything happened the way it did.  Try to focus on the end point that you are now married to the man you love.  You can't control how other people act.  Are you going on a honeymoon? 
    Maybe have a little redo (renew your vows or a commitment ceremony) for just the two of you with a JP or minister on the beach or someplace special.  Maybe it will help replace the nightmare of a reception you unfortunately had.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_i-should-have-eloped-longreally-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:91ade671-ec16-44c4-9e2e-2d8dcacc63bcPost:dd83e5fb-4b3f-4ccc-a307-501d0c9c5e0e">Re: I should have eloped... :( LONG...REALLY LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]That is really sad that everything happened the way it did.  Try to focus on the end point that you are now married to the man you love.  You can't control how other people act.  Are you going on a honeymoon?  Maybe have a little redo (renew your vows or a commitment ceremony) for just the two of you with a JP or minister on the beach or someplace special.  Maybe it will help replace the nightmare of a reception you unfortunately had.
    Posted by Jlp818[/QUOTE]

This.  You can't turn back time to elope.  And you never could have predicted their behavior.  But you can definitely have a commitment ceremony with just you and your DH and DD.  For what it's worth, you have also helped other brides-to-be like me who are struggling with who they can trust enough to invite from their families.  Thanks for having the courage to vent and share your story.
  • Options
    Wow I'm so sorry you went through that and for how your family is continuing to act. Both families were out of line and there was nothing you could have done to stop/prevent it. At least at the end of the day you're still married to your H.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    You cannot change the past...Never look back...Look towards your future.  Be blessed.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I'm sure that at this point there isn't a whole lot that we can say that will make you feel better. Both families acted horribly and they are continuing to do so. I can't believe that your mother is saying the things that she is. There is absolutely no excuse for that (and you didn't do anything to precipitate it even if there was an excuse). I am all for standing up for your loved ones. However, it seems to me that both families need to learn a little bit of grace in learning when it's appropriate to keep their mouths shut. It seems to me that you were the most graceful person at that wedding.

If I were you, I would keep my distance from both families for a while until your wounds can heal a little bit and focus on the time with your H. After all, this time is supposed to be about you and H and it seems they are trying their hardest to take away from that. I would focus all of my attention on that. 

I also think that if I were you...after a while, I would have a talk with my mom. I would lay it out for her. I would tell her that I love her first of all. But I love my husband and as my husband she will respect him or I will not come around. When it comes down to it he is my husband and I will choose him. If she doesn't respect that - him, me and any children we may have together - then she has taken herself out of the picture. This may seem harsh, but I am extremely close with my mother (if this gives you an idea that I'm not distant from my mother - it would be hard to not see her again). I believe that when you marry he's your priority. So if it came down to it, I would choose my husband over my mother. 

I'm really sorry that this happened to you and I hope that anything that I have said doesn't make you feel worse. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Oh honey... looks like there's a re-do in your very near future. Just the two of you.
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I am so sorry!  Your families both acted so wrong!

I do hope you take a vacation just the two of you and go far far away.
  • Options
    Thank you ladies. My Mother has atleast told me that she was sorry, but we just cant talk at this point. Luckily keeping distance from both parents is rather easy, they live 45 mins from us in oposite directions and the only family we live close to is the part of my family that decided they would stay and act like adults for me that day.
    I have told my husband that I am just not ready to face either of our parents yet, and luckily he agrees.
    Sad to say, the more people tell me (people that I honestly believe would not lie to me about what they saw), the more my mother was just defending herself against his family. Now I am just even more hurt out of the fact that they did not feel the need to include my family in any planning no matter how many times I begged them to and now this. They may love me, but respecting my family would have been more important than throwing me a "surprise wedding reception"
  • Options
    Oh my gosh, I am SO sorry this happened to you.  My wedding was in 2006 and I was really destroyed by everything that happened...while it was a nice wedding and all, most of the people involved (both family and wedding party) were really selfish and treated me like crap and like I was the least important person there.  It was so stressful and I have wanted a do-over every since.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in your experience...but really, you will move away from this experience and later in life it will seem so insignificant.  Honestly, I really believe that people should not be allowed to have this huge event when they first get married...there should be a trial period, and then once you've built a solid marriage and faced many challenges together, a touching ceremony is much more appropriate and will mean so much more to the both of you.

You are not alone...just remember that.;)

You are so money and you don't even know it.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_i-should-have-eloped-longreally-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:91ade671-ec16-44c4-9e2e-2d8dcacc63bcPost:2e2f6642-d048-4fe7-a7e9-52acbb2de0ec">Re: I should have eloped... :( LONG...REALLY LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh honey... looks like there's a re-do in your very near future. Just the two of you.
    Posted by lindsaynewbride10[/QUOTE]

They're already married, there is no redo.  Unless they get divorced first.  Perhaps they can take a nice vacation or renew their vows at some time in the future instead.
  • Options
    I think both sides owe you an apology. When you are ready to talk to the family again, I would thank your husband's family for throwing the reception, but let them know there was inappropriate behavior, and specify the inappropriate behavior and it will not be tolerated any longer. Also acknowledge that your side was inappropriate as well and you will be speaking to them as well. As far as your mother, let her know you love her, but to expect you to stand up for your family during your wedding, and reception and when you don't because you probably just didnt' know what to do, and throw a hissy fit because of it is completely unacceptable. If anyone of my family members stated I needed to stand up for the family, my response would be where the hell where you. Your family saw things not going right, and blame you for being dumbstruck. Sorry but they could have also ran interference for you. But that is me. It may not be your personality to tell everyone to f* off with their comments and stop acting like fools.

On the other hand, you can listen to everyone comments, let them know you didn't get a chance to think of what to do, or you didn't realise what was going on. Listen to everyone's issues and let them know the other party acted did inappropriately and maybe they need to sit down together and discuss it. Just take personal responsibility for every else's actions.

In either case, go on a honeymoon, shut everyone out and have a good time.
    Wedding Date: 7/20/2014 Met in 2001, starting dating in 2005, engaged in 2012.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_i-should-have-eloped-longreally-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:91ade671-ec16-44c4-9e2e-2d8dcacc63bcPost:97d0c517-05b7-4922-832b-b7ee77292057">Re: I should have eloped... :( LONG...REALLY LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you ladies. My Mother has atleast told me that she was sorry, but we just cant talk at this point. Luckily keeping distance from both parents is rather easy, they live 45 mins from us in oposite directions and the only family we live close to is the part of my family that decided they would stay and act like adults for me that day. I have told my husband that I am just not ready to face either of our parents yet, and luckily he agrees. Sad to say, the more people tell me (people that I honestly believe would not lie to me about what they saw), the more my mother was just defending herself against his family. Now I am just even more hurt out of the fact that they did not feel the need to include my family in any planning no matter how many times I begged them to and now this. They may love me, but respecting my family would have been more important than throwing me a "surprise wedding reception"
    Posted by thenewestmrsbryan[/QUOTE]

You know they say that time heals all wounds.  Give everyone some time to cool off.  Focus on enjoying your DH and when you feel like the time is right you can slowly re-engage other friends and family.  Don't put a deadline on it.  Trust that we all have drama in our families.  It just manifests at different times and in different ways.  As for the whole "who's to blame" issue, I would seriously let that go since no matter what anyone else says, there's no video or audio right?  And you didn't personally witness the incident.  You don't need an excuse to feel a natural bias and protective towards your mom.  She's your mom!  But holding on to a grudge for the wrong doing you felt the other side did could just exacerbate things over the long term.  And you don't want those raw feelings to stay around.  Just use what happened as a guide for how to handle family events in the future since they will always be around and stay away from those sticky topics when you visit them to keep the peace.  You are so above any pettiness.  Of course if <em>they</em> bring it up all bets are off.  You can always say your piece and leave.
  • Options
    Oh hun-I know your mother is your mother. But-I wouldn't accept an apology from her any time soon. As a matter of fact, I wouldn't accept an apology from ANYONE for a LONG time. and even if they did apoligize, would it even be enough ? They obviously think this kind of behavoir is okay.Everyone single "ADULT" at your wedding, acted more immature then your daughter. They ruined your day! Personally, I would start over. Completely. I know they say family is the most important part of your life, but to be honest, yoru family is your husband and your daugher. I'd be done.

I am so sorry that this happened to you. I hope that one day, hopefully in the near future, you and your husband can have a wedding that you both deserve. Go some place beautiful and re-do those vows, so you can have beautiful memories.

The only reason I am speaking so sternly about this, is becuase I thougt for sure that this was going to happen at my wedding, as it did at my shower. People got catty, and it ruined my day. I still cannot forgive my mom and dad for what they did on that day.
    Photobucket Married at last! *11-18-11*
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-recap-withdrawal_i-should-have-eloped-longreally-long?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:12Discussion:91ade671-ec16-44c4-9e2e-2d8dcacc63bcPost:105b36a6-1690-4846-b100-81fa869b2299">Re: I should have eloped... :( LONG...REALLY LONG</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: I should have eloped... :( LONG...REALLY LONG : They're already married, there is no redo.  Unless they get divorced first.  Perhaps they can take a nice vacation or renew their vows at some time in the future instead.
    Posted by JoanE2012[/QUOTE]

Hey good job over-analyzing my comment!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    WOW. So sorry :(
  • Options
    OMG, I'd be FURIOUS. I'm so sorry you didn't get the day you and your husband deserved. It breaks my heart hearing stories like this because I believe that if NOTHING else, people deserve to have a respectful, good time at their own wedding. Frown

Like PP have said, maybe a vow renewal on your honeymoon is what you need Smile and if you can't afford to go far for your Honeymoon, just take some time away from everything to focus on just the two of you. You both need and deserve it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards