Wedding Etiquette Forum

People asking what to buy as wedding gift??

We are not creating a registry because we really do not need "stuff." To be honest there is no space for new things, and we have been together for 7 years now so we certainly have the basics. We are hoping to buy a house around fall as we are currently renting a tiny one.

I have two family members asking what I want for a wedding gift, if there is something we really want or need. Where the hell do I go from here? 

Re: People asking what to buy as wedding gift??

• Yes, just tell them what Beth said.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

When people specifically ask you want you want as a gift it's fine to say "We have so much already but we are saving up to buy a house"

This.
  • fyrchkfyrchk member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    As someone who moved into a new house...if you feel they won't be open to giving you cash...maybe a home depot or BB&B gift card? I found I needed stuff for organizing, cleaning, etc when I moved in.
  • fyrchk said:

As someone who moved into a new house...if you feel they won't be open to giving you cash...maybe a home depot or BB&B gift card? I found I needed stuff for organizing, cleaning, etc when I moved in.

Gift cards are money, just like a check is money.  You can't ask people for money.  You can't register for gift cards.  When you tell people you're not registered and are saving up for a house they'll either give you nothing, give you money in the form of check, cash, or gift card, or they'll give you a gift you didn't register for.  All these are perfectly valid as a gift is never expected.  A Thank You note should be promptly written even if the next thing you do is walk the picture frame gift over to the Goodwill.
  • fyrchk said:

OP is not ASKING for cash though, that's the point. Saying "we're not registered but we're hoping to buy a house soon!" is just meant to be a hint toward what might be a helpful gift. If someone tells you that they're buying a house, then yes it would be thoughtful of you as the gift giver to choose to give a HD/BB&B gift card. But OP shouldn't be asking specifically for a gift card any more than specifically asking for fifties. It's all still money.

• We ran into a little bit of the same problem, so I left FI in charge of it (which worked about as well as it sounds) and he just ended up registering for better quality basics, in hopes of being able to move stuff out as stuff comes in. It works in theory, we'll see. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards