Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Venue/Caterer Question

So I was scheduled to go visit a venue and have a tasting with a caterer (caterer is NOT in house, just on a preferred caterer list for the venue) in a few weeks, and the caterer just informed me that she thought I had already signed with the venue and I can't do a tasting until I sign with the venue first. Her wording was "because if you decide not to go with VENUE, then we might not be able to cater for you." It kind of threw me off. I had planned to do both in one day because the venue is a bit of a drive and FI lives out of state, so for us to go it takes a bit of planning, we have to take off work, etc. Now I am in a funk and feel like this is a bad sign. PLUS I wasn't going to pick this venue if the caterer is not good. (They have other catering options, but the caterer we were going to visit was the most reasonable and suited our needs best.) I understand that they don't want to "waste" food on us for a tasting if we aren't going to pick them...but I also don't want to sign anything until I've tried the food...

Is this common? Am I overreacting? WWTKD?

Re: Venue/Caterer Question

• I find that odd. Do they not cater to other locations? What if you really like their food and want to book with them but decide on a different venue? Will they turn down your business?

I would respond to her by explaining a bit more about the situation, in the hopes that she will still hold the tasting with you. If she doesn't, maybe that's just not the caterer for you.
  • I would not say it's common, but it's not unusual either.    People try and get free shit all the time.   I'm sure they have been burned with people pretending to looking for a caterer only to be looking for a free meal.

Personally, I would offer to pay for the tasting, but ask that the amount be deducted from your bill if you choose to book this venue.   (get this in writing).    They have their costs covered and you get your tasting.  If you go ahead and book you have a credit.  If you don't then I do not think the money is "wasted" to find out.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I would not say it's common, but it's not unusual either.    People try and get free shit all the time.   I'm sure they have been burned with people pretending to looking for a caterer only to be looking for a free meal.

Personally, I would offer to pay for the tasting, but ask that the amount be deducted from your bill if you choose to book this venue.   (get this in writing).    They have their costs covered and you get your tasting.  If you go ahead and book you have a credit.  If you don't then I do not think the money is "wasted" to find out.
    That's a good idea. I was actually expecting to have to pay at least something for it.
    I find that odd. Do they not cater to other locations? What if you really like their food and want to book with them but decide on a different venue? Will they turn down your business?

I would respond to her by explaining a bit more about the situation, in the hopes that she will still hold the tasting with you. If she doesn't, maybe that's just not the caterer for you.
    They do cater to a few other venues, but not a ton. That is why they want me to book the venue I am looking at first, so that they don't lose my business. 

I think I am just going to let her know that we really just wanted to get both things done while we were in the area, but I have a feeling she won't budge. She offered to come to the venue and go over possible menus with me, so that might be helpful, but if the food stinks I don't care how good the menu sounds! lol
  • I don't think it's weird. In the city where we got married, almost every venue had "preferred caterers". 

So what she's saying is that if you end up going with Venue ABC (instead of your current one), and this caterer isn't a preferred caterer for Venue ABC, then all bets are off with them. So why would they do a tasting? 

I think it makes sense and I don't think it's weird. We never had a tasting, but I imagine our's would have had the same rule.
    *********************************************************************************

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards