Chit Chat
Options

Mad Max

Public Service Announcement: if you are looking for a thoroughly entertaining summertime popcorn flick to go see, check out Mad Max.

I gave my husband a ton of flack about dragging me to see "a dumb movie about fighting and cars," but in the midst of all the blood and explosions I just kept finding myself geeking out about how much the movie was totally acing the Bechdel Test!

As one reviewer on Rotten Tomatoes put it, "A visceral feminist anthem disguised as a post-apocalyptic car chase." 

Re: Mad Max

• Options
    I want to see it so bad! I loved the original and this one looks amazing. DH was shocked that I wanted to see it. We actually rarely go to the movies so we'll probably wait until it's on PPV or at Redbox.

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its

Public Service Announcement: if you are looking for a thoroughly entertaining summertime popcorn flick to go see, check out Mad Max.

I gave my husband a ton of flack about dragging me to see "a dumb movie about fighting and cars," but in the midst of all the blood and explosions I just kept finding myself geeking out about how much the movie was totally acing the Bechdel Test!

As one reviewer on Rotten Tomatoes put it, "A visceral feminist anthem disguised as a post-apocalyptic car chase." 
    YES. 

I kept thinking the exact same thing while watching. It really is very, very good and is a perfect example of simplistic storytelling at it's finest. 
  • Options
    I actually didn't like it, and neither did DH.  He really wanted to see it, I didn't.  And I love actions movies. But even DH was surprised at how high the ratings were on Rotten Tomatoes.  Spoiler (highlight to read): I was hoping it was over when they got to lady land.    

And  I know they needed to go off of the name, but it obviously wasn't a Mad Max movie since it was all about Furiosia.   Apparently "Mens Rights groups" aren't happy with it though.  That made me laugh

• Options
    I loved it. LOVED it.
    This baby knows exactly how I feel
  • Options
    Yup I loved it!! DH told me it was supposed to be very "dark" like the first one (never saw). I thought it was awesome. @emmaaa oh just spend the $10 and go see it now lol

• Options
    emmaaa said:

I want to see it so bad! I loved the original and this one looks amazing. DH was shocked that I wanted to see it. We actually rarely go to the movies so we'll probably wait until it's on PPV or at Redbox.

Definitely go see it in theaters, it's for sure a "big screen" experience.
  • Options
    jenna8984 said:
    Yup I loved it!! DH told me it was supposed to be very "dark" like the first one (never saw). I thought it was awesome. @emmaaa oh just spend the $10 and go see it now lol

Definitely go see it in theaters, it's for sure a "big screen" experience.
    BOX???

Sounds like DH and I will have to suck it up and go :)

• Options
    I was the one who dragged H to go see this movie lol. I was DYING to see it. So we went to the drive-in on Saturday (um hello awesome base in my car turned way up) and it was AWESOME. I love it. I don't normally have any desire to see action-y movies or whatever, cuz to me they're all the same and I get so bored, but this one was really fun to watch. 
  • Options
    anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    We also saw it on Saturday and thought it was really great. We've been quoting it a lot since then.

I wasn't surprised with how feminist it was, because I saw a lot of articles linked on facebook. But it did make me happy that a movie that could be so terrible to ladies instead turned out to be how ladies are awesome.
  • Options
    there's a chain of mexican-ish restaurants around here called Mad Mex; and I thought this thread was about food or margaritas :(
  • Options
    there's a chain of mexican-ish restaurants around here called Mad Mex; and I thought this thread was about food or margaritas :(
    You must be in PA. I miss Mad Mex! :(
  • Options
    FI is watching B-roll footage of it right now, which is insanely cool. We saw it Sunday before last and absolutely loved it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    So Buzzfeed has a Mad Max name generator. I'm Master Chop. 

• Options
    I'm Bubba Kid!

• Options
    Before I spend $11 on it, can anyone explain why it's awesome (besides the feminism part)? Every single trailer I've seen is nothing but driving in the desert on death machines and it looks brutal and twisted and soooo not anything I'd be interested in. I read a basic synopsis that said there was a problem between war lords and... that's about it. I'm not familiar with the original either. 

Do they do anything but drive in the desert? Inquiring minds. 

• Options
    redoryxredoryx member
    Before I spend $11 on it, can anyone explain why it's awesome (besides the feminism part)? Every single trailer I've seen is nothing but driving in the desert on death machines and it looks brutal and twisted and soooo not anything I'd be interested in. I read a basic synopsis that said there was a problem between war lords and... that's about it. I'm not familiar with the original either. 

They do and they don't. 

The basic plot is about delivering a package to a destination. So, yes, it involves a lot of driving through the desert which I love because it's so simplistic but other people (like my co-worker) are not a fan of, because it's so simplistic. 

I think what attracts a lot of people to it beyond that is the bigger picture story involving Charlize Theron's character raging against the patriarchy. 
  • Options
    Haven't seen it, but one of the radio stations last week was talking about some men's activist groups were saying it was a feminist movie in disguise because Charlize Theron's character yells at Mad Max. And I guess no one (read: woman) yells at Mad Max.
  • Options
    justsiejustsie member
    My name would be "Nightrider Erectus*
    *squeals*
  • Options

Ehhhh... it's a lot of driving in the desert, to be honest.

BUT I thought I would hate it too from the trailer. I have no interest in cars/driving/action-y fighting movies in general. But even removing the feminism part I would have enjoyed it because it is just a really well done movie. The visuals- stunts, effects, editing etc- are amazing, like redefining the genre level of amazing. The story is suspenseful and meaningful- not just like a bunch of explosion and you have no emotional investment. It's fast-paced and heats up very quickly.

So basically I'll put it like this: if you think you could still enjoy the very best movie there is of a genre of movie you don't really like (plus some kickass women and interesting political themes relating to environmentalism), this might be for you.

But I can not stress enough, if you think you might want to see it, SEE IT IN THEATERS. Do not wait for it to come out on DVD.
  • Options
    I also thought it was great because I'm personally not a fan of movies that are 98% CGI such as transformers/ avatar. I want to see real people acting with real props and this movie for the most part is that. Of course there are effects here and there (the storm scene) but the majority really is them driving real vehicles and doing the stunts which I love. Aaaand if you see it during the day it's cheaper, ours was $8.

• Options
    themosthappy91jenna8984, and also have to add that another element that made the movie awesome was the cast. H and I were talking about it right afterwards, and we both thought that it could have been a really stupid movie if it was cast wrong. 

It's hard to be disgusted by a character and then actually get really attached to that same character and have sympathy for them/be rooting for them all in the same movie. 

And I liked the way Charlize Theron was kind of the understated badass. She wasn't like a lot of other action movie heroines where she's leaping off buildings and running around with machine guns, totally over the top (if that makes sense). She was kind of seething, determined, vulnerable, weak, strong, and amazing at the same time. 
  • Options
    @novella1186 I totally agree!! There's being an actor, then there's BEING AN ACTOR. Someone like Zach Efron (while hot) could never hold a candle to Nicholas Hoult as that character.

• Options
    Interesting! Thanks for the extra info. 

Maybe I'll wait a tad longer for it to go to the Brew and View instead ;-) $5 triple feature, aw yeah. 

• Options
    anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    I'm Hatchet Gore!

I can't decide if that's awesome or if need to get a lot better at throwing axes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards