Chit Chat
Options

Major flooding in Texas

I hope other posters in Texas and Oklahoma are okay and safe after the heavy rains of last night and this morning.

Re: Major flooding in Texas

• Options
    @Jen4948 I haven't been washed away yet!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    Jen4948 said:
    I hope other posters in Texas and Oklahoma are okay and safe after the heavy rains of last night and this morning.
    Did you see that photo of Six Flags and the roller coaster under water?

Live fast, die young. Bad Girls do it well. Suki Zuki.

• Options
    aliwis000aliwis000 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited May 2015
    Treading water here in Houston still!

It has been so crazy. My parents live closer to Dallas and they had a tornado just 6 miles from their home yesterday.

Stay safe to all my TX and OK friends!!
  • Options
    I have a bunch of friends in Texas.   Some in the Houston area.  They are okay right now.  

DH's really good friend is in College Station.   He has a stream along the side of his home.   He said it's now like a river.  Right now his house is high enough not to have flooding, but that could change.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Options

I just read about the woman who called her sister to say "tell mom & dad I love them" and she and her kids are still missing, and her husband washed up with broken ribs and collapsed lung. So sad!!

I know @holyguacamole and @sugargirl1018 don't post too much lately and might not be on TK anymore, but I hope they are ok!!

• Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    AlexisA01 said:
    Jen4948 said:
    Did you see that photo of Six Flags and the roller coaster under water?
    No, but I lived in NYC when Hurricane Sandy hit up there a few years ago, and I saw the post-hurricane footage of the Jersey Shore and the roller coaster in the ocean.  Oh man it was awful.  The Six Flags photo must be at least as bad.
  • Options
    I hope everyone is doing okay! It is scary to watch.

• Options
    So sad, flooding is no joke.  We had some pretty bad ones a couple years ago here in CO and it's super scary because it can just come at any time, not a lot of warning.  In addition to the loss of the human lives, so many people lose everything.  Around here, nobody is in a flood zone so nobody had flood insurance, so everything was just a complete loss. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    I'm north of Houston in Conroe and we got slammed last night. Today I was able to get out and see my patients and didn't encounter any flooding.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in NW Louisiana and it has been bad here too. It has rained almost every day since April and we just got an alert about another severe thunderstor . Ugh! Fortunately we haven't had the major flooding or lots of tornadoes, but we are at flood stage and have dealt with a lot of flash flood . This weather is crazy!
  • Options
    I was in Houston for a wedding this weekend.  Sunday morning around 6am was scary with a tornado warning!! We don't get those in Oregon, so I was absolutely terrified.

Some of my family wasn't supposed to fly out until yesterday evening, and of course their flights were cancelled and they have been stuck there and are hoping to fly out tomorrow.

Hope everyone stays safe! It was crazy to watch the news and see all the freeways under water, and know that we had just been driving those on Sunday.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    I'm in NW Louisiana and it has been bad here too. It has rained almost every day since April and we just got an alert about another severe thunderstor . Ugh! Fortunately we haven't had the major flooding or lots of tornadoes, but we are at flood stage and have dealt with a lot of flash flood . This weather is crazy!
    Yeah, that is bad.  Hope things get better for you.
  • Options
    Jen4948Jen4948 member
    Just got to work a little while ago-driving in more rain.  There's a major thunderstorm warning in southwest Texas again.
  • Options
    Also I just realized my calligrapher on etsy lives in Austin and I emailed her a few days ago about something and haven't heard back from her. I am really worried about her because she was always very quick to respond, usually within an hour. Does anyone know how Round Rock is? That's where she lives, I am hoping she and her family are okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    justsiejustsie member
    behsco90 said:
    Also I just realized my calligrapher on etsy lives in Austin and I emailed her a few days ago about something and haven't heard back from her. I am really worried about her because she was always very quick to respond, usually within an hour. Does anyone know how Round Rock is? That's where she lives, I am hoping she and her family are okay.
    I THINK Round Rock is ok. I only say this because a friend of mine living there posted a status about hoping everyone they knew in Houston was alright, leading me to believe they didn't get hit as bad. It still might be nice to follow up with an "hope you're ok in this weather" post, if you have not already.
  • Options
    @justsie thanks! Yeah I sent her a convo on etsy telling her that once I realized where she lived and hadn't heard from her that I got worried about her, and told her I was thinking of her and her family. Hopefully she's just lost power or distracted from the weather.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    justsiejustsie member
    All this weather here makes me laugh at the SS who think that just because their state was in a drought historically during this time means it won't rain on their day and they don't need a backup plan. 
  • Options
    justsie said:
    All this weather here makes me laugh at the SS who think that just because their state was in a drought historically during this time means it won't rain on their day and they don't need a backup plan. 
    I was going to come in here and reference that too. So there's no drought anymore?

In all seriousness though, T&Ps out to all those affected.
  • Options
    I have a bunch of family out there that we've been keeping in constant touch with. So far, everyone's ok and very minimal property damage but it's scary!

Lots of warm thoughts to everyone out there.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    justsiejustsie member
    justsie said:
    I was going to come in here and reference that too. So there's no drought anymore?

Apparently there still is in a majority of Texas, but no where near what we are used to. 
  • Options
    justsie said:
    justsie said:

Apparently there still is in a majority of Texas, but no where near what we are used to. 
    Yeah, even with constant flooding and rain, areas can still technically be in a drought because sometimes they never really catch up. 

• Options

emmaaa said:
    justsie said:
    justsie said:

Yeah, even with constant flooding and rain, areas can still technically be in a drought because sometimes they never really catch up. 
    There are soaking rains and flooding rains.   If the rain comes down hard and fast it has no time to soak into the ground. It just runs off.    Slow steady rains absorb into the ground which helps droughts.

That said, drought or not one should always be prepared for bad weather.  No one can predict down to the exact day when it will start raining again.   I was hit by a tropical storm in NJ on my wedding day.   That part of NJ had not seen a TS in a while.  You can hope and pray all you want, but when it comes to weather Mother's nature is in charge.  She does whatever the fuck she wants, when she wants.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards