Attire & Accessories Forum

Dresses for Events Surrounding the Wedding!

Hi all!

Is anyone else having trouble deciding what to wear for the events surrounding their wedding - engagement party, bridal shower, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner, farewell brunch?!

We are having a destination wedding so we plan on having lots of events, in addition to the BIG DAY!!

I've had the hardest time finding white and/or bride appropriate dresses. Any suggestions on where to buy or is anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks!!

Re: Dresses for Events Surrounding the Wedding!

• I agree with Maggie. I also thought at the beginning of planning I should find white dresses for every wedding related event. But I found some beautiful dresses in all different colors that I may not get a chance to wear otherwise and realized as long as I feel awesome in the dress, it didn't matter what color it was. 

But if you still want to wear white to one or more of your wedding related events, I suggest checking out ModCloth. David's Bridal has some great short wedding dresses that may fit the formality of some of your other events. Also, my bridesmaids are using Weddington Way to order their dresses and they have some really beautiful bridesmaid dresses that come in white and ivory shades. 
  • cgss11cgss11 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    Don't go crazy looking for stuff, it's not worth it. I also had this train of thought, and then when I had trouble finding the *perfect* stuff, I stressed. So just be flexible. 

When I set out to find something white for the rehearsal, I struck out, but found a really pretty, very pale blush pink dress that I loved, so I'm wearing that. Bonus points because I will definitely wear it again (unlike the white shower dress). 

For my bachelorette, I wore a blank tank top, and blue skirt, but with all the penis paraphanelia hanging off me and sash, everyone knew I was the bride lol. 

I do have one other dress I bought a while back (I would have anyways, but the wedding was a nice excuse)..Its a white top, and long floral maxi bottom. I'll probably wear that sometime the week of the wedding, or maybe not. I've definitely come to realize, it just doesn't matter. 

If you are still set on white though, just online shop and sort by color. Target, JC Penny, Kohls, etc. all have good return policies where you can just take the purchases back to the store and not have to mess with the mail. However, don't break the bank getting all these white clothes. I know for me personally, the money was better spent elsewhere, or at least on something I would wear again down the line.
  • I didn't buy any new dresses for pre-wedding events. I actually wore dresses I already owned. One was a purple/grey/black chevron dress, one was a floral print, one was navy with white polka dots. I didn't have the budget to buy anything new and even if I did I wouldn't have bought a white dress because I wouldn't really have much of an opportunity to wear a white dress again.

Modcloth is probably my favourite place to buy dresses, and I'm sure they will have a good selection of white dresses at an affordable price.
  • KatWAGKatWAG member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    Hi all!

Is anyone else having trouble deciding what to wear for the events surrounding their wedding - engagement party, bridal shower, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner, farewell brunch?!

We are having a destination wedding so we plan on having lots of events, in addition to the BIG DAY!!

I've had the hardest time finding white and/or bride appropriate dresses. Any suggestions on where to buy or is anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks!!

BOXBOXBOX

I don't get the bolded.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Hi all!

Thanks!!
    I wore an emerald green maxi dress to one shower, jeans and a sweater to another, and leggings and tunic for the third. None of that was white. Hell, for my bachelorette party I wore a pink sweater and jeans. No white. If you want to wear white, that's fine. But it isn't by any means a requirement.

I'm also confused by the bolded? Do you mean you're having multiple showers? Or an AHR? A PPD?

• My mom and dad are taking engagement photos for us (they're professional photographers and actually specialize in weddings) and I've been looking at outfits for that. So far I've found one really cute white lace sundress (I usually wear dresses-- sundresses when it's warm and sweater-dresses when it's not).

We will probably not have any showers or engagement parties, etc. We live far away from anyone in our families and all close friends, so I doubt anyone would throw us one (which I think is good, seeing as I'd rather just visit when I visit). That just leaves rehearsal dinner and bachelorette party. I'll probably pull out a dress I rarely wear for the former and for the latter it will depend on what my MOH will plan (I know who it's going to be and I know she will throw one).

• You should not plan/throw your own engagement party, shower, or bachlor/ette party. I did not buy specific clothing for any wedding-related event. I did wear a new white dress to the rehearsal dinner, but only because I happened to like it and felt cute in it.
  • I picked up a cute dress from Madewell in black for dinner the night before the wedding. (We're not having an actual rehearsal, but decided to host another dinner.) I don't need to wear white to anything just because I'm a bride. Black is one of my favorite colors and I how I look in it. On a side note, the dress also comes in an almost white "Oyster" color which might be great for other complexions.

Madewell Daylight Silk Dress
  • White dresses are kind of everywhere right now. I don't understand why you're having trouble. I bought one at Walmart for like $12, but I've also seen them at ModCloth, Old Navy, Torrid, Dress Barn.... I forget all the places I even looked, but basically everywhere has at least one.

I bought the one I did because it was cute and I like wearing white and will wear it again after the wedding stuff is over. If you don't think you'll use it for anything else, I wouldn't focus so hard on finding a white dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited June 2015
    You're overthinking this entire thing.  Instead of trying to wear all white, find dresses/clothes that look best on you.  I also like to buy pieces I know I can wear again.  What are you going to do with 4 or 5 different kinds of white dresses?  Here's what I wore/am going to wear to the different events

Shower-I wore a floral dress

Bachelorette-Nice jeans and a nice top

Rehearsal-Same dress from my shower (why let a good dress go to waste)

Day After Brunch/Activities-Jeans, black plain tank top,  Bride sweatshirt (gift from my shower). 

One of my favorite places to shop for nice dress is White House Black Market.  It's a little price, but you can sometimes find great stuff on sale.   The quality and the fit is really great too.  
  • DEFINITELY overthinking it! Find something that fits the formality/dressiness of your events that you like and are comfortable in. I didn't have an engagement party, bridal shower, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner. At the dinner after the ceremony I wore my gigantic pouffy dress. To the reception this coming weekend, I have a nice summer ivory colored dress that is moderately dressy.
  • I got a gorgeous white dress for my rehearsal dinner from LuLus. It's a clothing website geared towards a younger crowd but the fit was perfect for me and they had a huge variety of white dresses if that's what you're looking for :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards