Wedding Woes

he sounds like a keeper.

Dear Amy: My boyfriend and I are in our early 30s. I'm about to finish graduate school, and my parents are going to take me out to dinner at a rather pricey restaurant after graduation to celebrate.

I'd like to ask them if my boyfriend can join us. We've been together for several months, and I know they will welcome him. The trouble is, my boyfriend says he would only like to go if he can pay his own way.

I understand where he is coming from, since he's a grown man with a job, but I also know my parents — they are fairly well-off, and they wouldn't dream of making him pay for his own meal. They would think it was odd, and possibly even slightly insulting, if he refuses their hospitality.

I suggested that he offer to pay for himself when the bill comes, and then when my dad refuses, to accept his generosity and say, "Thank you."

He was very insulted and sarcastically apologized that his financial independence was such a big problem. What is the etiquette for this situation? I don't want to fight over this, and I don't want him to back out of something important to me. I also don't want him to get off on the wrong foot with my parents by refusing their kindness. — Hungry for Decision

Re: he sounds like a keeper.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards