Wedding Woes

How to I fake celebrate?

Dear Prudence,
My sister recently got her bachelor’s degree at the age of 33. Her decadelong journey through college passed from coast to coast with many proclamations that the next stop was the last. She’s flighty and noncommittal, never doing anything in a “normal” way. She’s been financially supported by my parents far too long. I’m really struggling with how to celebrate this “achievement.” My gut reaction is not one of pride and joy, but “What took you so long?” How do I show the excited reaction she is hoping for?

—Oh, Brother

Re: How to I fake celebrate?

• Of course, if she hadn't gotten her degree, Oh Brother would be writing Prudie to complain about that.
  • hmonkeyhmonkey member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    by not making it about you.
  • Believe it or not, it's still an accomplishment. If she's really as flighty and non-commital as you say she is, it probably took a lot of buckling down to finish a degree.

As a non-traditional student myself (26 and currently doing semester three of college after a five year enlistment in the military) I would be pissed to see someone complaining about how long it took me or how they struggle to fake happiness for me. I'd rather people just shut their pieholes and excuse themselves from anything celebrating my graduation if they can't show support.

(In other words, Oh, Brother is a douche.)

Just sayin.'

• How to make it a better celebration - excuse himself from being around it so they can enjoy the achievement!!!  My guess he probably got a job straight out of high school...
  • This sounds like it could be my sister in a few years. She took an extra year to graduate HS, and now she takes 3 classes a semester at the local community college. I think it would be better if she did it a little faster, but at least she is doing it. She went through a dark few years while in highschool and we weren't sure if she was going to even graduate... and now she is in college!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards