Chit Chat

Proposing at someone else's wedding

2»

Re: Proposing at someone else's wedding

• @Lyndausvi, are these the same bro and SIL that pulled a major stinkfest when it came to the mani/pedis for the girls before your wedding and do other crappy shit?  
  • banana468 said:

@Lyndausvi, are these the same bro and SIL that pulled a major stinkfest when it came to the mani/pedis for the girls before your wedding and do other crappy shit?  
    same ones.

Same ones who missed their flight to our wedding and called my dad saying they needed him to cover the $200 for the change flight fees.    You see they, woke up late and didn't get to the airport on time.     

Why did they call my dad you ask?  Well my dad being the nice guy he is paid for their trip to my wedding.  They could not afford it and my parents really wanted them there.  So they paid for the flights, car rental, lodging (well to be fair he rented a huge house that accommodated all 17 of us).

For some reason they thought dad should have to pay for their mistake.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • lyndausvi said:
    banana468 said:

@Lyndausvi, are these the same bro and SIL that pulled a major stinkfest when it came to the mani/pedis for the girls before your wedding and do other crappy shit?  
    same ones.

Same ones who missed their flight to our wedding and called my dad saying they needed him to cover the $200 for the change flight fees.    You see they, woke up late and didn't get to the airport on time.     

Why did they call my dad you ask?  Well my dad being the nice guy he is paid for their trip to my wedding.  They could not afford it and my parents really wanted them there.  So they paid for the flights, car rental, lodging (well to be fair he rented a huge house that accommodated all 17 of us).

For some reason they thought dad should have to pay for their mistake.
    So he's just not an accountable person but he knows that your dad is.

Wow.  
  • That's such a dick move and incredibly tacky. A guy I know announced him and his then-girlfriend were expecting a baby at someone's rehearsal dinner. I rolled my eyes at that as well.

• emmaaa said:
    That's such a dick move and incredibly tacky. A guy I know announced him and his then-girlfriend were expecting a baby at someone's rehearsal dinner. I rolled my eyes at that as well.

I fully expect my sister to do this, too.

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:
    emmaaa said:
    That's such a dick move and incredibly tacky. A guy I know announced him and his then-girlfriend were expecting a baby at someone's rehearsal dinner. I rolled my eyes at that as well.

That's too bad. I don't know what make people think, "You know what would be a good idea? To get engaged/announce our pregnancy during someone else's wedding event! That'd be an awesome idea!"

• Dick move. We always say "you get ONE day." So...choose any other day FFS!

Formerly martha1818

• Ugh, super mega tacky. 

My SIL is kind of an asshole and H and I got engaged about a month before their wedding. Their wedding was the first time we were seeing most of the family since getting engaged. I was very uncomfortable with people asking about our engagement because I didn't want her to be a dick about it on "HER DAY". I couldn't imagine doing that shit on purpose.
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • I feel like there's also a big difference between stating the big life change at a wedding and USING the wedding to be the backdrop of your announcement.

TO a certain degree, telling people that you're pregnant isn't a big deal as long as you're not turning the event into your announcement.  Ditto w/ being engaged.   You can't expect people to put their lives on hold or to not talk about their lives even on your wedding day.

You SHOULD expect your wedding to be the backdrop of a life-altering event for someone else. 
  • emmaaa said:
    luckya23 said:
    emmaaa said:

That's too bad. I don't know what make people think, "You know what would be a good idea? To get engaged/announce our pregnancy during someone else's wedding event! That'd be an awesome idea!"

She spent my shower yammering about her TTC plans, so it's the next logical step!

FMIL has all but said FBIL plans to get engaged bc he can't stand his brother (FI) doing things he hasn't... never mind that he's been overseas with the Navy his entire 8 month relationship with this girl.

Good thing I've done all this work and spent all this money to set up the spotlights for these two!

(But I will be thrilled if I'm wrong about all this... if it didn't happen to Novella, surely I will be as lucky!)

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

• luckya23 said:
    emmaaa said:
    luckya23 said:
    emmaaa said:

She spent my shower yammering about her TTC plans, so it's the next logical step!

FMIL has all but said FBIL plans to get engaged bc he can't stand his brother (FI) doing things he hasn't... never mind that he's been overseas with the Navy his entire 8 month relationship with this girl.

Good thing I've done all this work and spent all this money to set up the spotlights for these two!

(But I will be thrilled if I'm wrong about all this... if it didn't happen to Novella, surely I will be as lucky!)

Sounds awesome...

MIL told me once DH and I had gotten engaged that I had to wait until after SIL'd wedding because they had been engaged for 5 years (together 6.5 total) at that point and even though DH and I had been together 5 years at that point. Her wedding was Oct. 2014, ours was Dec. 2104. I wanted a winter wedding so it worked out for everyone I guess. But if I had wanted a summer or fall wedding, the fact she chose to be engaged for 6 years before her wedding would not stop me from scheudling our wedding.

• I would have been so pissed if someone proposed at my wedding. I was pissed enough that BIL's gf was comparing my wedding to how theirs will be. They aren't even close to being engaged. She spent half the morning judging how I planned things and both of our moms weren't impressed.

It will get very interesting when other BIL proposes. It feels like a battle between the two gfs over who will get engaged next. It is pretty obvious it will be younger BIL that goes next. And I fully expect the older BIL's gf to make a fuss about it if she isn't engaged yet.

I remember an aunt on my step dad's side announcing a pregnancy at someone else's party. Can't remember if it was their shower or engagement party as I was young. But it totally stole the show.
    image Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • luckya23 said:
    emmaaa said:
    luckya23 said:
    emmaaa said:

Seriously, just think of all the shit that should have/could have gone down at my wedding but didn't. Between BSC sister, her awful boyfriend, Brad, Crazypants, my dad... I've never dodged so many bullets. You should be fine! ;) 
  • Coalette2013Coalette2013 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    I definitely agree with "you only get one day" but I do think people should really think about their timing before they do something. I've experienced the following:

• Cousin's wedding: her soon to be BIL and his wife announced they were pregnant at the rehearsal dinner. Wife proceeded to wear all white to the wedding.
    • Three sisters: Sister 1 got engaged and planned wedding w/ no issues, very chill bride. Sister 2 got engaged 3 weeks prior to Sister 1's wedding and proceeded to make it all about her. Sister 3 got engaged 6 months after Sister 2 but Sister 2 didn't want Sister 3 to do any wedding planning until after her wedding and wouldn't even acknowledge the fact that her sister was getting married. Sister 3's wedding date was 2 month's after Sister 2, not sure how she was supposed to hold off on planning. Funny how Sister 2 didn't give the same respect to Sister 1.
    • My BIL proposed to SIL 1 week before our wedding. Didn't really phase me, but DH was really upset b/c he didn't want people focusing on the new engagement on our wedding day. The kicker was BIL asked FIL if DH would be upset before he popped the question; if you have to ask maybe you should rethink your plan.
    Edit: spelling
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards