Chit Chat
Options

Applying for Jobs Internally - Update

l9il9i member
First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
edited May 2015 in Chit Chat
Occasionally I like to look at internal job postings for my company.  I don't hate my job, but I also don't jump up and down about it either.  I prefer variety and more personal interaction and this gives me more of a "it's alright, kinda boring though" feeling.  

My question is I found one that I think is perfect for me.  Our policy is you can apply without supervisor permission if you've been in your role for over 2 years (I'm just over 2 years).  If it's less than that you have to get their permission before applying.  So, would you still give your supervisor a heads up or not?  My supervisor can have a somewhat standoffish attitude and I have no clue how to read her as a person (normally I'm good at this).  I think this part is what makes me anxious, I feel like applying for other jobs within the company (people move around quite a bit, not abnormal) will make her mad either way because that's how she comes off.

So... what would you do?  Tell your supervisor or not.  There's no guarantee I'd even get the job if I applied obviously.

Re: Applying for Jobs Internally - Update

• Options
    I'm pretty sure she'll know right away, regardless. She might appreciate you being up-front and honest with her. 

(The reason I say I think she'll know is because at this company and other companies I've worked for, your boss is alerted automatically when you apply so that they can be given the chance to recommend you.) 
  • Options
    I doubt she wouldn't find out about it anyway so I'd probably give her the heads up. Either way she'll know, if you tell her at least you were upfront with her about it.

• Options
    l9il9i member
    I agree with you both.  I guess since this is my first experience in this boat (certainly won't be the last) I'm not sure how to have the whole "I'm looking at other jobs" talk.  I think in this situation it's mostly because I'm not sure if she'll be supportive or not, I have no clue.
  • Options
    Give her the heads up, for no other reason than for respect. It's the right thing to do. 
    This may be an opportunity to say that you're applying because your job is kind of boring. So even if you don't get the new role, maybe it's time to see how your job could be expanded / made more challenging. Professional development and all. 

• Options
    l9i said:
    I agree with you both.  I guess since this is my first experience in this boat (certainly won't be the last) I'm not sure how to have the whole "I'm looking at other jobs" talk.  I think in this situation it's mostly because I'm not sure if she'll be supportive or not, I have no clue.
    If she's a decent boss, she won't take it personally or hold it against you. I think most bosses EXPECT talented employees to move on at some point. 

You can just say, "I didn't want you to be blindsided, so I just wanted to let you know that I'm considering this other job. I think it would be a good opportunity for growth and broader responsibilities for me." 

• Options
    l9il9i member
    Give her the heads up, for no other reason than for respect. It's the right thing to do. 
    This may be an opportunity to say that you're applying because your job is kind of boring. So even if you don't get the new role, maybe it's time to see how your job could be expanded / made more challenging. Professional development and all. 
    Well this plays into why I've been looking occasionally is because I've said this, she knows this, I've been promised more and different responsibilities and after over a year nothing has happened.  She is new to being a supervisor and from what I hear around a lot of people aren't fond of her.
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    l9i said:
    If she's a decent boss, she won't take it personally or hold it against you. I think most bosses EXPECT talented employees to move on at some point. 

You can just say, "I didn't want you to be blindsided, so I just wanted to let you know that I'm considering this other job. I think it would be a good opportunity for growth and broader responsibilities for me." 

All very true, I think this would be a great opportunity for me!  It would combine my degrees and skills sets as well as open me up to a number of different areas within the company.  

I'm probably worrying about her reaction for nothing - it's just a new thing I've never dealt with before and as I said I can never read my supervisor which makes me always unsure of how she takes things.
  • Options
    l9i said:
    Well this plays into why I've been looking occasionally is because I've said this, she knows this, I've been promised more and different responsibilities and after over a year nothing has happened.  She is new to being a supervisor and from what I hear around a lot of people aren't fond of her.
    Ahh. Well, that sucks. Novella's wording works then. Good luck! 

• Options
    l9i said:

Send in your info but immediately follow up to tell her you have applied for x. It doesn't prevent her from not supporting you but this way it's done and she won't "scare" you into deciding not to send it. Don't ask her; tell her it's done.
  • Options
    anjemonanjemon member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Name Dropper
    l9i said:
    Ahh. Well, that sucks. Novella's wording works then. Good luck! 
    I also think Novella's wording is really good. Emphasize your desire to improve and your degrees, so she can view it as you moving up and not moving out.

My one piece of advice about people you can't read - I once worked with a theatre director who totally has bitchy resting face (she jokes about this as well). It took me months to figure out if she liked me, because she didn't really laugh at my jokes and she was generally so unhappy looking at rehearsal. Eventually we both warmed up and I realized she's actually super nice, caring, and funny. She just looks unhappy when she's not trying to look happy. So I always try to assume that if people don't actively seem unhappy, they might not realize that is what they are projecting. But good luck! Just be factual and straightforward with your boss and hopefully things will go well.
  • Options
    I would never tell my current my current supervisor
  • Options
    At my company when you actually go to apply for an internal position you have to check a box to indicate that you've spoken with your manager.  I was just in this situation a few weeks ago (got the new job!).  My boss is kind of a jerk but we're pretty close (I worked for him for over 8 years).  I just called him and said that I was interested in XYZ role and wanted to get his thoughts on it.  
    I also manage a team and if anyone on my team was applying for an internal position and didn't talk to me about it, I would be offended.  I would have no problem if someone was interested in another internal position though.  I would actually encourage it especially if it was something that would be a promotion and/or good fit for their career
  • Options
    At my last company your supervisory was automatically notified when you applied for a new position.  

I spoke with my supervisor in person before I applied.  It was super quick (less than 5 minutes).  "Boss, I wanted to let you know I was applying to this position.  It isn't that I'm not happy doing what I'm doing now, but this job is a great opportunity and a good fit for my skill set."
    photo composite_14153800476219.jpg
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    AprilH81 said:
    At my last company your supervisory was automatically notified when you applied for a new position.  

I spoke with my supervisor in person before I applied.  It was super quick (less than 5 minutes).  "Boss, I wanted to let you know I was applying to this position.  It isn't that I'm not happy doing what I'm doing now, but this job is a great opportunity and a good fit for my skill set."
    This was my game plan almost exactly!  I have a meeting with her this morning about something else and I'm planning on just talking to her quickly after.  As @FreelyToBe mentioned applying before so she doesn't intimidate my, I'm approaching it more of "hey, this is what I'm doing and I wanted to give you a heads up" not "Do you think I should do this?".  

I'm hoping it will be short, sweet, and "Oh, that would be a good opportunity for you, I understand".
  • Options
    l9il9i member
    anjemon I know it's not just me that can't read her, most people in my group thinks she hates us all haha.  To me its not necessarily that she's upset or unhappy but more emotionless.  I saw her get personable one time in over the year I've been under her.  She finally put pictures up in her office and I commented on them and then she went on to excitedly talk about her family.... so there's a soft spot somewhere!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't ask for permission if I didn't have to, but I would tell her I applied.  "Oh, by the way, Kathy, I applied for the monkey farmer position that opened up in accounting.  It sounds like it would be an interesting job."

Also, I wish my job did have monkey farmer positions.  Because that would be amazing.
  • Options
    I would recommend notifying your boss as a courtesy.

As someone who has hired many internal candidates, I always tell candidates (who I am seriously considering) to inform their boss because I will be speaking to them.  I would never hire an internal candidate without the blessing of their boss.  I know that sucks for the person with a mean boss, but it is not worth it for me to create bad blood internally.
  • Options

As someone who has hired many internal candidates, I always tell candidates (who I am seriously considering) to inform their boss because I will be speaking to them.  I would never hire an internal candidate without the blessing of their boss.  I know that sucks for the person with a mean boss, but it is not worth it for me to create bad blood internally.
    That is kind of shitty.  These people are applying for different jobs to further their career or get away from their shitty boss.  The fact that you will not hire them because their boss will not give his/her blessing is just as shitty.  I realize that their are company politics that need to be considered but to deny someone a job just because their boss is an ass and said no (especially if permission is not necessary) is not right in my opinion.

• Options

That is kind of shitty.  These people are applying for different jobs to further their career or get away from their shitty boss.  The fact that you will not hire them because their boss will not give his/her blessing is just as shitty.  I realize that their are company politics that need to be considered but to deny someone a job just because their boss is an ass and said no (especially if permission is not necessary) is not right in my opinion.
    QFT. Also, this happened to me. I asked for a transfer at my old job. According to my old boss, none of the upper management on the 'team' I was on liked me, so no transfer for me. The team I asked to transfer to pretty much all liked me, so this made no sense. I found another job. 

The mentality of thinking "I would never hire an internal candidate without the blessing of their boss" is a good way for a company to lose people. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards