Chit Chat
Options

Pet Peeves

Re: Pet Peeves

• Options
    current pet peeve, when people are rude on buses! In the past MONTH I've had 2 horrible encounters:

1 - my mum, FI and I were coming from downtown on the bus. It was a rough day cuz it was the 1yr of my dad passing suddenly. My mum and I have a strange relationship.(it's a really good one but the way we talk you'd think we were arguing sometimes lmao!) So we were talking on the bus, some lady was eaves dropping. Not okay, but whatever we were not even a foot away.
    Needless to say, lady basically starts bitching "you need to help your mother more, you should do more" legit verbally attacking me and has ZERO idea what I do. My mum is 54, I live 5 mins away.
    I so wanted to pull the "you don't know me, you don't know myyy life" *snaps* but I was just sooooo floored this lady was doing this that I just sat there and took it.

Urg.

2 - my hair is long-ish. {between my shoulder blades} and I try to keep in under control. I basically got scalped on the bus because someone behind me zipped up their bag into my hair. I had to rip what felt like a chunk out. The person behind me didn't even notice. Uhm what!?

61 days until wedding, 68 days until I cut my hair lol
  • Options
    When in-laws book tickets to stay at your house for 12 days without asking if it's too long/a good time and then also don't rent a car..... looking at you ILs! 

More generally:
    - strangers who try to converse while you're in the bathroom stall
    - people who drive too fast in parking lots
    - people who abruptly stop walking in the middle of a sidewalk, aisle, hallway, etc. I am going to run onto you - possibly on purpose to prove a point. 
    *********************************************************************************

• Options
    It is super interesting to me hearing what bothers other people so much, it's always different!

My #1 is when people stand super close to me in line, we are not driving and nobody is going to cut you off, you will still be in the same place if you are breathing down my neck or not. Sometimes I make a point to just stand my ground when the person in front of me moves up slightly and have been bumped into.. I get it, I'm sort, watch your surroundings ass hole! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    When people talk on the phone in the bathroom. Ugh. I understand that (at old job) you had short breaks and not a lot of time to do phone calls, but it's so awkward for the people around you. 
  • Options
    It is super interesting to me hearing what bothers other people so much, it's always different!

My #1 is when people stand super close to me in line, we are not driving and nobody is going to cut you off, you will still be in the same place if you are breathing down my neck or not. Sometimes I make a point to just stand my ground when the person in front of me moves up slightly and have been bumped into.. I get it, I'm sort, watch your surroundings ass hole! 
    Ugh I hate that so much! Like when they're standing so close that basically their stomach is brushing against your back. BACK OFF!!! Sometimes I just wanna turn around and be like, "what are you trying to get a piggyback ride or something?" 
  • Options
    - People who can't sit still in group meetings, particularly my one coworker who swivels back and forth in her chair the entire time. Don't know why but it drives me batty.

- People driving slow in the left lane.

- When people call in regards to an email, rather than responding back by email. If I wanted to talk to you about xyz subject on the phone, I would've called you. 

- Coworkers that snap their gum all day.

- Listening to H eat anything.
  • Options
    julieanne912julieanne912 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015

I deal with pretty much all the traffic related ones above on a weekdaily basis.  And the people who use cell phones while driving.  It is not illegal here but it should be.  Just this morning I almost got pushed out of my lane onto the shoulder because some lady was on her cell phone and was drifting over.  I laid on my horn and I don't think she even noticed.   

We live off of a 2 lane highway, where the speed limit is 60.  People constantly go 50 or even less.  Drives me insane, it's like, if the speed limit is 60, why wouldn't you go 60?  It's impossible to pass them most of the time too so they end up with a line of 20 cars behind them while they dilly dally along.

Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    When in-laws book tickets to stay at your house for 12 days without asking if it's too long/a good time and then also don't rent a car..... looking at you ILs! 

More generally:
    - people who abruptly stop walking in the middle of a sidewalk, aisle, hallway, etc. I am going to run onto you - possibly on purpose to prove a point. 
    No. Just......no.

My pet peeve also involves my MIL. She asks me about things, then when I decline/express my opinion she KEEPS ASKING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER. Like I will change my mind. She is very old fashioned and likes things done just so. And it is little stuff - like putting a pad/table cloth on the dining room table at all times. I don't want one and she can't imagine things any other way so she asks me about it at least 3 times every time I see her.
  • Options
    • Chronic lateness. LEARN TO BE ON TIME! (My sister and BIL are always guilty of this... It's like they just don't notice the passage of time, and all of a sudden, they realize that they will be an hour late. They blame their baby, but it happened just as much before the kid)
    • Saying you dislike something you have never tried (usually a food)
    • Tailgating (the driving one, not the partying one)
    • Not using blinkers switching lanes
    • People driving slow in the left lane on the freeway. That's not what the left lane is for.
    • Bicycles that do not obey traffic laws.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    - People who can't sit still in group meetings, particularly my one coworker who swivels back and forth in her chair the entire time. Don't know why but it drives me batty.

- When people call in regards to an email, rather than responding back by email. If I wanted to talk to you about xyz subject on the phone, I would've called you. 

I'll add to this one.. people who email you and follow it up with a phone call 2 minutes later to then read the email to you. Yes, I passed 1st grade, I can READ, I will get to your email soon.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I'll add to this one.. people who email you and follow it up with a phone call 2 minutes later to then read the email to you. Yes, I passed 1st grade, I can READ, I will get to your email soon.
    Agreed.

One of mine that is driving-related is when you are trying to merge and the person behind you speeds up to make it harder for you to merge. Then once you are on the highway, they slow down again to give you space. What the hell is that all about? Happens to me all the time.

And don't get me started on the office nail-clippers...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

Or they email you. Then call 20 minutes later to see "if you got their email". Yes. I did.

I had someone once email me after close of business on Friday. Then again on Saturday, then forwarded me both emails (for follow up, I guess?) on Sunday. They called on Monday before my office opened.

What I do in that case is just respond to the first email. I don't even acknowledge the others.
  • Options
    madamerwinmadamerwin member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    sarahufl said: lovemesomemonster said: cupcait927 said: - People who can't sit still in group meetings, particularly my one coworker who swivels back and forth in her chair the entire time. Don't know why but it drives me batty.
    - Listening to H eat anything. I'll add to this one.. people who email you and follow it up with a phone call 2 minutes later to then read the email to you. Yes, I passed 1st grade, I can READ, I will get to your email soon. Or they email you. Then call 20 minutes later to see "if you got their email". Yes. I did.

I had someone once email me after close of business on Friday. Then again on Saturday, then forwarded me both emails (for follow up, I guess?) on Sunday. They called on Monday before my office opened.

What I do in that case is just respond to the first email. I don't even acknowledge the others.

----BOXES-----

My sister texted me last week asking a question, and then while I was responding to the text, my other sister called me to ask the SAME QUESTION. Turns out they were together. I got really annoyed with the sister who called - give me two damn minutes to respond to the text before you call to make sure I saw it.

ETF words
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I really, really dislike bad customer service. I've worked in customer service and/or public affairs my entire adult life and feel like if you don't know how to be professional and courteous maybe you should be hidden in a cubicle somewhere you won't damage the image of your employer.

This past weekend I went to the mall for the first time in ages. In many stores employees gathered and gossiped while slowly folding clothes or even just standing around. Talking is one thing, but I don't like hearing your work or personal drama when I'm trying to make a decision (no, seriously, I heard at least three people badmouthing someone else working in the same venue at the same time and had to interact with this person after hearing it). If you're going to talk in front of customers, DON'T insult other customers, DON'T talk about personal drama (like your alcoholic father), DON'T bad mouth your company or fellow employees. If you do, I will either speak to your manager or turn right back around and tell other potential customers to steer clear of the dramafield.

• Options
    sarahufl said:

Or they email you. Then call 20 minutes later to see "if you got their email". Yes. I did.

I get this all the time since my company is world wide. I get emails from Asia at 1am, then they follow up at 3am, then again at 4am. Sleep is something I do, you know I am in the US, use the global clock we ALL have on our computers and STOP EMAILING ME! 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sarahufl said:

More generally:
    No. Just......no.

My pet peeve also involves my MIL. She asks me about things, then when I decline/express my opinion she KEEPS ASKING THE SAME THING OVER AND OVER. Like I will change my mind. She is very old fashioned and likes things done just so. And it is little stuff - like putting a pad/table cloth on the dining room table at all times. I don't want one and she can't imagine things any other way so she asks me about it at least 3 times every time I see her.
    Mine about my MIL - she keeps asking me about announcements (obviously they should have been done last month when we got married, but I had other things on my mind). When they came to see the new house we had just moved into on Saturday she mentioned them again. I'm at the point where I just want to tell her to do them herself. But since I've already agreed I can't. Boo.
  • Options

Ugh I hate that so much! Like when they're standing so close that basically their stomach is brushing against your back. BACK OFF!!! Sometimes I just wanna turn around and be like, "what are you trying to get a piggyback ride or something?" 

At my last job the owner was an older guy (70's) and when he would come to your desk to look at something he'd hover so close.  What made it even worse was that he was a mouth breather, so we used to call him Darth Vader b/c that's what he'd sound like.  He also had some kind of dry mouth syndrome so he'd constantly make this "smacking" kind of sounds- so gross!
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    anjemon said:
    sarahufl said:

More generally:
    No. Just......no.

Mine about my MIL - she keeps asking me about announcements (obviously they should have been done last month when we got married, but I had other things on my mind). When they came to see the new house we had just moved into on Saturday she mentioned them again. I'm at the point where I just want to tell her to do them herself. But since I've already agreed I can't. Boo.

Might as well throw mine in too... FI's "stepmom" (she's his dad's GF but they've been together a long time, just not married), always love to put her two cents in.  We had a party at our house about a month ago, and like 2 children and 3 babies came, with like 30-40 adults.  She told me I should have set up a play area in the garage for the kids.  I said, "oh, ok".  The kids were seemed to be fine playing in the yard with the dogs or playing cornhole which we had set up. 

Not to mention, it was pretty much an adult party, and a few people just opted to bring their kids along.  Nevermind I cooked all the food myself, made sure the house was clean, had plenty of beer, wine and liquor... I'm apparently not as good of a host as I could be cause I didn't make games for the 2 children that came.

Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    anjemon said:
    sarahufl said:

More generally:
    No. Just......no.

Might as well throw mine in too... FI's "stepmom" (she's his dad's GF but they've been together a long time, just not married), always love to put her two cents in.  We had a party at our house about a month ago, and like 2 children and 3 babies came, with like 30-40 adults.  She told me I should have set up a play area in the garage for the kids.  I said, "oh, ok".  The kids were seemed to be fine playing in the yard with the dogs or playing cornhole which we had set up. 

Not to mention, it was pretty much an adult party, and a few people just opted to bring their kids along.  Nevermind I cooked all the food myself, made sure the house was clean, had plenty of beer, wine and liquor... I'm apparently not as good of a host as I could be cause I didn't make games for the 2 children that came.

And oye holy typos and bad grammar... but I can't edit it :(
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Heffalump said:
    People who can't figure out traffic circles.  Seriously, it's not rocket surgery.
    Seriously. They put two traffic circles in my town about two years ago and I'm still amazed at how many people have no idea how they work. I find it especially comical when people use turn signals to enter the traffic circle. You can only go one way...
  • Options
    People who assume women don't like sports. 

I frequently talk about hockey with a guy in my office. He knows I enjoy the sport and not just because my husband does. I told him that my sister and I were going to try to get single seat tickets for the cup final so we'd have a better chance at getting tickets. He said, "I still think that you do that to pick up guys". Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....
    Image result for someecard betting someone half your shit youll love them forever
  • Options
    This is a perfect thread to start on a Monday, btw. Everything is pissing me off hard today.

And my latest pet peeve is happening now at work. Someone is heating up their nasty fish in the microwave. Just last week, someone else at work (maybe the same culprit, who knows) left something in the fridge, which we all use, and it started smelling so bad that the president of our department had to send out an office-wide email asking everyone to remember if they left something in the fridge and to clean it out, because it was rotting and making everything stink. 

Also, people who dump out food scraps in the sink drain, which has to get cleaned out every morning by the building staff. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options
    BouxRadleyBouxRadley member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    It drives me nuts when people drive ten under in school zones. I'm already relegated to 20mph and you're gonna do ten? It makes me close to homicidal when I'm running late.

ETD: unnecessary boxes. 

• Options

With the other facebook thread and people starting to mention their MILs I'm reminded of way too many pet peeves.  But really the absolute worst is litter.  It's so disrespectful and unnecessary.

Also:

I don't mind grammatical errors in general, but it bothers me when - because of your position - you're supposed to have decent grammar skills (English teacher, writer) and you don't.  Or you're a total intellectual snob but, for example, you add unnecessary apostrophes to plurals.

• Options
    edited June 2015
    Thought of another one.  It annoys me to all hell that stores don't carry "short" length anymore for jeans/pants.  I'm 5'3" but only have a 28" inseam.  Some still do (Thank you Ann Taylor) but for the most part, they don't.  I needed to get another pair of jeans but didn't want to splurge on Lucky Brand since I plan on losing some pounds (and have lots in the next size down that are just a bit too tight right now).  Old Navy only carries their short length online now.  The Levi's at JC Penney only were in regular or long.  I finally found some at Target, but they're still 31" inseam, but since they're cheap jeans to wear on weekends and camping, I can deal with them dragging a bit. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    Thought of another one.  It annoys me to all hell that stores don't carry "short" length anymore for jeans/pants.  I'm 5'3" but only have a 28" inseam.  Some still do (Thank you Ann Taylor) but for the most part, they don't.  I needed to get another pair of jeans but didn't want to splurge on Lucky Brand since I plan on losing some pounds (and have lots in the next size down that are just a bit too tight right now).  Old Navy only carries their short length online now.  The Levi's at JC Penney only were in regular or long.  I finally found some at Target, but they're still 31" inseam, but since they're cheap jeans to wear on weekends and camping, I can deal with them dragging a bit. 
    Because of this, I learned how to hand-sew hems on pants this weekend lol. I'm 5'1" and I just bought a pair of pants that were literally about 6 inches too long. I didn't want to constantly run to the tailor but I also don't want to look sloppy at work, so I looked up some tutorials on hemming and went for it. And it worked out! Granted, the particular style was easy to hem, but I felt kind of awesome for doing it lol 
  • Options
    -When people ask me if I am starting to get nervous about the wedding and then don't believe me when I say I am not.

-When FI is dealing with wedding related things and gives the vendor information on choices and they ask 'well what does the bride want.' FI is a grown ass man and it's as much of his wedding as mine and he can fully well talk to a vendor without me hovering. (Whilst suit shopping FI was positively giddy over a suit. Salesman turned to me and asked me if it was what I wanted. I told him that I really liked it but it didn't matter what I wanted, it's his suit and he gets to pick what he wants. And the salesman says 'All brides say that honey, but every girl has been dreaming of her wedding day since she was little, and she's got a vision.' I'm pretty sure there were daggers coming out of my eyes.

- When people phone work over the lunch hour and get cranky when the boss isn't here to talk to them

-

• Options
    Because of this, I learned how to hand-sew hems on pants this weekend lol. I'm 5'1" and I just bought a pair of pants that were literally about 6 inches too long. I didn't want to constantly run to the tailor but I also don't want to look sloppy at work, so I looked up some tutorials on hemming and went for it. And it worked out! Granted, the particular style was easy to hem, but I felt kind of awesome for doing it lol 
    I should totally learn how to do that.  I need a sewing machine too. 
    Married 9.12.15
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I should totally learn how to do that.  I need a sewing machine too. 

I am 5 feet so even short length pants are usually an inch or two to long on me. When I lived closer to home I would always get my mum to hem them as she has a sewing machine. Now since thats not feasible I keep a roll of hem tape handy. Basically put a strip of tape on the inside of pant at right length, fold up the hem, Iron the heck out of it. It usually holds up pretty well, I had a pair of dress pants that the hem lasted almost a year before the tape gave out. 

Then I just make sure I pack all my taped pants when i visit home and put my mum to work sewing them;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards