Chit Chat

Job Interview - I Sucked

Just a quick update from my car before I start driving back to work.

Pretty sure I'm not getting this job. It's an administrative assistant job, so I chose a black skirt just below the knee and a nice white top with black wedges. (Essentially what I wear to work now, except I wear flip flops). Everyone else was in black dress pants, stilettos, a button up and blazer.

There were 3 interviewers. The main one never called me by the correct name (I don't mean like, if my name was Helen he called me Ellen. If my name was Helen he was calling me Elizabeth). One of the interviewers kept saying I was much younger than they anticipated, and the other asked if I normally wore pink nail polish.

So... I'm pretty sure I'm out and I'm a little bummed. Tonight may or may not be comfort food and wine night.

Re: Job Interview - I Sucked

• Despite their choice in wardrobe, those interviewers sound extremely unprofessional. Not calling you by the correct name? Commenting on your age? Snarking on your nail polish? 

Just as interviewees give a first impression of what they bring to the table, interviewers are supposed to represent their company. It sounds like they did a terrible job. You might be dodging a bullet here. If they do offer you the job, I would consider YOUR impressions as well.
    I completely agree with this ^^^ Yeesh. I'm sorry that you had a bad experience; it's frustrating for sure. 

• I don't think I would want that job anyways.  Seems like they care more about your nail color and the fact that you look young over your abilities.

• Despite their choice in wardrobe, those interviewers sound extremely unprofessional. Not calling you by the correct name? Commenting on your age? Snarking on your nail polish? 

Just as interviewees give a first impression of what they bring to the table, interviewers are supposed to represent their company. It sounds like they did a terrible job. You might be dodging a bullet here. If they do offer you the job, I would consider YOUR impressions as well.
    Exactly this. They sound like they aren't even capable of conducting a professional interview. All three of those things were out of line. Ugh. I'm sorry you had such a shitty experience. 

H just had something similar happen. He was interviewed by the owner of a company that was essentially his dream job, and the owner was a total douche and made some really rude, inappropriate comments. H would have reported directly to the owner, so he decided he wouldn't be accepting their offer because he didn't want to work with a person like that. I agreed with his decision 100%. I think an interview can tell you a lot about the culture of a place sometimes. 
  • Agreed. It sounds like you were dressed appropriately. I don't even think pink nail polish is out of line for that type of job. I wouldn't want to work with people who treat me that way just in the interview. Good luck and I hope you find something that's a better match!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Sorry to hear that, but that sounds more like crappy interviewers vs anything you did!  You were still professionally dressed, and you never quite know what the standard is.

Another perspective... for me, I wouldn't want to work for people who didn't take the time to learn my name, or who made comments about my age or what I wore.  

Comfort food and wine still sound good though!

• I have to agree, that sounds terrible and very unprofessional on their part! I can't believe they didn't even call you by your proper name and spent time snarking on your nail polish and age? I think you dodged a bullet, this company sounds like it would be terrible to work at. I hope you find something that will fit YOU better, your outfit sounds very nice and you did nothing wrong.

I went to my interview fresh out of college for a big corporation with my tongue ring in (I forgot to remove it) and my nails were in my college colors because it was game week (oops). They were highly professional, I still got the job, my age and nails never came up except to cheer for the team.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Completely agree with southernbelle. Commenting on your age and judging your nail polish color is pretty unprofessional. Not getting your name right is downright rude.

Sorry you feel like you didn't do a great job, but to be honest it doesn't sound like either you or the interviewers meshed well with each other. It can happen. It will be a lot better when you go on an interview and hit it off with the interviewer and feel good afterwards. Good luck!!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Um yeah. I wouldn't want to work anywhere that the interviewer couldn't learn my name or commented on my nail polish.
  • Ugh I'm sorry that happened. And, I'm sure you didn't suck!  It's just not a fit, company culture wise.  It's nothing you did. 

It's super unprofessional of them to make those kinds of comments during the interview.  I used to do hiring and while I would pay attention to things like how someone was dressed, I sure wouldn't make comments about it.  And, I agree, you don't want to work there if that's how they acted during the interview. 

Married 9.12.15
  • I think this is a great reason to show up for an interview in a suit. Yes, they were rude and unprofessional. But you weren't dressed formally enough for the job, and that's something in your control for the future.
  • I think this is a great reason to show up for an interview in a suit. Yes, they were rude and unprofessional. But you weren't dressed formally enough for the job, and that's something in your control for the future.
    I do think a good rule of thumb is that you dress up more for the job interview than you would for the job itself, so in an office a suit for an interview is always a good idea. 

But I don't think the suit made a difference here. It sounds like these interviewers were not able to be appropriate. Commenting on age and nail polish? Really? 

Even if she wasn't dressed up to their standards the interviewers should have never made the comments that they did.  It also has zero affect on the one getting her name wrong.

They should have been more focused on her abilities and experience.  If those items met their standards then they could have said "we would prefer for any of our employees to wear suits" or something of that nature due to their dress code policies.  But it seems like they were more concerned about her nail color then whether or not she could do the job.  Which is shitty and highly unprofessional.

Oh I completely agree! But all the righteous indignation in the world doesn't get her any closer to having the job, unfortunately. Personally, I expect anyone I interview to wear a suit. If they don't they just aren't getting hired because it demonstrates that they don't understand the requirements of the job. I understand that not all workplaces are as formal, but since it's sometimes hard to tell that in advance I think it's a good idea to err on the side of more formal. It's easy to take a blazer off.
  • It sucks the interview went poorly, but it really sounds like you dodged a bullet.

One mentality to get in when job hunting is while they are interviewing you, you are also interviewing them. You have to make sure that the company is right for you, or else you will not be happy there. I think, especially with the economy, interviewers think that they have all the power. You also get a say in if the company is a good fit.
  • sarahufl said:
    I think this is a great reason to show up for an interview in a suit. Yes, they were rude and unprofessional. But you weren't dressed formally enough for the job, and that's something in your control for the future.
    Even if she wasn't dressed up to their standards the interviewers should have never made the comments that they did.  It also has zero affect on the one getting her name wrong.

They should have been more focused on her abilities and experience.  If those items met their standards then they could have said "we would prefer for any of our employees to wear suits" or something of that nature due to their dress code policies.  But it seems like they were more concerned about her nail color then whether or not she could do the job.  Which is shitty and highly unprofessional.
    Oh I completely agree! But all the righteous indignation in the world doesn't get her any closer to having the job, unfortunately. Personally, I expect anyone I interview to wear a suit. If they don't they just aren't getting hired because it demonstrates that they don't understand the requirements of the job. I understand that not all workplaces are as formal, but since it's sometimes hard to tell that in advance I think it's a good idea to err on the side of more formal. It's easy to take a blazer off.
    Some jobs don't require suits, even for interviews.

My husband works for an internet company. There, if someone shows up in a suit, they assume they don't understand the company culture or else they would wear something else. A suit is something they would use to disqualify someone.

Yup.  Which is why saying that someone should always wear a suit to an interview is not really great advice.  I am sure OP read up on the company and used the job description as a way to determine what to wear.  All she was missing to complete a suit was a jacket anyways.  I guess to me, if someone is dressed/put together well to the point of meeting the formality of the company and for the job they are being interviewed for then that is all that matters.  What should matter even more is their qualifications.  If OP was qualified but they didn't hire her because she was missing a jacket to her outfit well that is kind of crappy to me because that is something that they can further discuss with her in a follow up interview or conversation.  Now if OP showed up to an office setting in ratty jeans, a tied dyed t-shirt and hot pink hair, well that is a whole different ball game.

• It sounds like they sucked, not you.

When people comment on your looks instead of your abilities in a professional setting, it is time to seek employment elsewhere. You don't want to work for people who judge competence by perceived age and nail color.

• sarahufl said:
    I think this is a great reason to show up for an interview in a suit. Yes, they were rude and unprofessional. But you weren't dressed formally enough for the job, and that's something in your control for the future.

My husband works for an internet company. There, if someone shows up in a suit, they assume they don't understand the company culture or else they would wear something else. A suit is something they would use to disqualify someone.

This.  A few years back my FI interviewed for a job, he works in higher level IT.  The recruiter specifically told him to not wear a suit. 

But generally, for an admin type job at your basic corporate company, I'd err on the side of caution and dress up.  Here in CO suits are rather unusual at most companies but I try to wear dress pants, heels, and a really nice top tucked in at an interview.  I don't do skirts because then I feel like you have to wear nylons or tights (I don't think bare legs are appropriate), which sucks when it's warm out.

Married 9.12.15
  • sarahufl said:

This.  A few years back my FI interviewed for a job, he works in higher level IT.  The recruiter specifically told him to not wear a suit. 

But generally, for an admin type job at your basic corporate company, I'd err on the side of caution and dress up.  Here in CO suits are rather unusual at most companies but I try to wear dress pants, heels, and a really nice top tucked in at an interview.  I don't do skirts because then I feel like you have to wear nylons or tights (I don't think bare legs are appropriate), which sucks when it's warm out.

This^^ I don't always know how to dress when it comes to interviews so I went out and bought a suit from J.C. Penny (wasn't too expensive) and wore that to any interviews I had. The company I am working at now I showed up in my suit and everyone was wearing jeans and buttoned up shirts but I still felt comfortable because I'm presenting myself as someone new to the company. Anyway, OP, honestly your outfit sounds perfectly fine. I would not judge that whatsoever. Now if you had shown up in jeans and sneakers I'd be wondering if you had planned appropriately based on the job you were applying for.

Based on how critical these people sound (and how unprofessional) I'd say you dodged a bullet if they don't call you back.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • We recently had someone interview with the company that I work for who came in wearing a fuzzy hooded jacket, jeans and sneakers.  While that would be less formal than we wear on a regular basis, she was still hired.  I was not part of her interview process, but I saw her that day when she went on the tour of the facility.  She was asking smart questions and seemed to know what was going on.  Since she's been working for us, I see why they hired her even though she was inappropriately dressed for an interview.  Not saying you were that off-base with your wardrobe, OP, but I think it's ridiculous that they were that critical.

That company doesn't sound like somewhere I'd like to work either.
  • Ditto everyone else.  Once is bad enough--can you imagine dealing with that day after day?  Pass. 
  • For the record, it doesn't sound like you sucked (in reference to your post title).

THEY SUCKED with those questions, comments, etc.
  • Sorry for the post and run - was driving and didn't want to die. 

Ya'll are right - definitely dodged a bullet. :)
  • twoleighstwoleighs member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited June 2015
    It sucks the interview went poorly, but it really sounds like you dodged a bullet.

One mentality to get in when job hunting is while they are interviewing you, you are also interviewing them. You have to make sure that the company is right for you, or else you will not be happy there. I think, especially with the economy, interviewers think that they have all the power. You also get a say in if the company is a good fit.
    QFT

ETA: I agree with wine and comfort food.  :)
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards