Wedding Invitations & Paper

Can I mail invitations smaller than 3x5?

I'm making my own invitations. I was planning to make them A7 size (approx 3x4), which I think is cute. But when I checked USPS rules, it says you can't mail things smaller than 3x5. Is that true? Is there no way to mail cards smaller than that? Will they just refuse to let me send it?
I was planning to go shopping for paper tomorrow, and had my dimensions and quantities all worked out based on the A7 size. Now I'm afraid I'll have to rework everything...

Re: Can I mail invitations smaller than 3x5?

• 3x4 is pretty darn small.  That is smaller then most RSVP envelopes.

And if it states on USPS that you can't mail anything smaller then a 3x5 then I think I would listen.

Why do you want something so small?

• Invitations are not supposed to be "cute".  They are supposed to clearly convey the necessary information to the guests - who, what, when and where.  The USPS has very strict rules.  Don't even try to mess with them.  You will lose.

httpiimgurcomTCCjW0wjpg
  • I feel like an extra inch to make it 3x5 isn't going to kill whatever design you've got on there.

But I feel like that is not much space to write info out in way that can be clearly read. How tiny is your font?

Or get an envelope that is 3x5 stick the 3x4 thing in the 3x5 envelope and you're golden.
  • I'm making my own invitations. I was planning to make them A7 size (approx 3x4), which I think is cute. But when I checked USPS rules, it says you can't mail things smaller than 3x5. Is that true? Is there no way to mail cards smaller than that? Will they just refuse to let me send it?
    I was planning to go shopping for paper tomorrow, and had my dimensions and quantities all worked out based on the A7 size. Now I'm afraid I'll have to rework everything...
    Yep, you will.

Make your invitations 3x5.  The USPS does not fuck around.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• If you want the USPS to deliver your invitations, then they need to be 3x5.

And smaller than that means that your guests are going to have trouble reading them.

So I'd forget about being "cute" and resize your invitations in dimensions that the USPS will deliver and that your guests can actually read. Otherwise plan for there to be very few, if any, acceptances.
  • Is changing the invite from a 3x4 to a 3x5 really that big of a deal?   Really?

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I'm making my own invitations. I was planning to make them A7 size (approx 3x4), which I think is cute. But when I checked USPS rules, it says you can't mail things smaller than 3x5. Is that true? Is there no way to mail cards smaller than that? Will they just refuse to let me send it?
    Nope, the United States Postal Service is lying to you.  Regulations are for the weak!

• I think you might be confused about what A7 size is.  That's the size we're using for our invites (and I believe is the most common size).  A7 cards are 5"x7".

Are you sure you're trying to use 3"x4" cards?  Also, listen to the USPS.  What if you do all this work and spend all this money on your invites and they can't even get through the mail?

• I'm a little late to this post, but I had small invites... The RSVP cards were 3x5 and the invites were a little larger than that... Half of our RSVP cards that made it back to us weren't cancelled, which to me means that they were so small they got lost in the shuffle. Still got delivered though! We also had an issue with 2 or 3 of our invites not getting delivered. It could have just been USPS, or it could have been the size of our invites. Why risk it just for "cute"? Make them at least 3x5, or go with the more common 5x7.
  • Jen4948Jen4948 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited June 2015
    Something you might consider is using the A7 envelopes as inner envelopes, where all persons invited are listed, and then putting those in turn, containing the invitations, into 3x5 or larger envelopes which would serve as outer envelopes that can be addressed and sent through the mail.
  • You can mail a potato with stamps on it. You can mail anything. If you really want to know, go to the post office and make sure.
  • You can mail a potato with stamps on it. You can mail anything. If you really want to know, go to the post office and make sure.
    No, you can't.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards