Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums
Options

post-make up trial

I have 2 people doing make up and hair on DOW. My hair girl is a family friend and after months of me being indecisive we finally settled on a hair style which I'm totally excited about.

The other girl doing my make up is an acquaintance of my FSIL. My FSIL is having my make up done as a gift, which is totally awesome of her to offer. So I met with the girl, and she's totally fun, we got along great, she did the make up and it looked really good! She finished up about 1pm, but like 6 or 7 it was wearing off. Now, normally when I do my own make up I never really pay attention to how long it last cuz I usually use a plethora of cheap stuff. Is this normal? She was using MAC products so I figured they'd last longer. I'm just worried cuz if I have my make up done in the morning, say around 10, and my wedding is at 2pm, that's 4 hours, and if it's anything like my trial it'll be wearing off by then.

So I guess my question is, how to I un-offensively ask her if there's anything she can do to make it last longer? Like i said, I really liked her and she did a really good job, I'm just worried about looking crusty into the evening :(

Re: post-make up trial

• Options
    augsum15 said:
    I have 2 people doing make up and hair on DOW. My hair girl is a family friend and after months of me being indecisive we finally settled on a hair style which I'm totally excited about.

The other girl doing my make up is an acquaintance of my FSIL. My FSIL is having my make up done as a gift, which is totally awesome of her to offer. So I met with the girl, and she's totally fun, we got along great, she did the make up and it looked really good! She finished up about 1pm, but like 6 or 7 it was wearing off. Now, normally when I do my own make up I never really pay attention to how long it last cuz I usually use a plethora of cheap stuff. Is this normal? She was using MAC products so I figured they'd last longer. I'm just worried cuz if I have my make up done in the morning, say around 10, and my wedding is at 2pm, that's 4 hours, and if it's anything like my trial it'll be wearing off by then.

So I guess my question is, how to I un-offensively ask her if there's anything she can do to make it last longer? Like i said, I really liked her and she did a really good job, I'm just worried about looking crusty into the evening :(
    Just be honest with her and let her know that it didn't last on you. If she is a make up artist she is probably very aware that make up reacts differently will different skin. Let her know what areas specifically wore out quickly (was it a product or an area of your face). Also, she may have applied without using a primer or a setting spray, so you might request having a second go with some of those products on to see the staying power that way. 
  • Options
     Be honest. 

Tell her that you noticed your makeup wearing off after a few hours and would rather this not happen on your wedding day. She could have been using certain products that are lighter and not as long lasting. MAC is generally great so I'm sure she will figure it out.

• Options
    augsum15 said:

Did she use a primer? I use MAC everyday and in the summertime I use the paints on my eyes as a primer because otherwise by the end of the day I have no eyeshadow. They also have a really good primer for face. I would also recommend using the Studio Fix foundation/powder combo.
  • Options
    Be honest with her. The sooner the better. It is important to be honest.

• Options

Was it a normal day where you didn't do a lot of sweating? If so, ask her if she used a primer and if not if she has one that she can use or recommend for you to pick up. I find that when I use primer it makes a huge difference on the time frame my makeup lasts. But even with a primer, you may need to touch up your powder through the day occasionally.

• Options
    Definitely talk to her. Some makeup doesn't last on some people. Maybe she would be open to using some Urban Decay or Smashbox products in addition? The Smashbox water primer is MAGIC in a bottle. It goes on light, doesn't make anything pill and keeps everything in place. I have used it as a setting spray too and it works but it is really hot here so I use a different spray most of the time now. I've paired it with Urban Decay eye shadow primer as well as their setting spray (I'm using the one that stops shine too- LOVE). 
    I've been testing this combo for a couple of weeks during roller derby practice and it is a WINNER for sure!! Nothing budges or creases, no matter how sweaty I get and it looks fantastic too!
    I'm wearing (in order of application): 
    Murad moisturizer and origins eye cream
    Smashbox primer water
    Benefit porefessional (I am self conscious about pores showing on my nose and chin.. not craters but I notice them)
    foundation- I wear Bare Minerals complexion rescue daily but will wear Armani the DOW
    Tarte no crease concealer
    Urban Decay eye shadow primer
    a little mineral veil powder on the t zone
    urban decay nakeds eye shadow
    urban decay 24/7 eyeliner
    nars bronzer
    Nars orgasm blush
    Bobbi Brown brick highlighter
    Diorshow waterproof mascara
    SPRAY with Urban Decay make up setting spray

Good Luck!

• Options
    Cool thanks I did talk to her and she said she would use a spray, and that she did use a primer. It was mostly just the light eyeliner she used that was bothering me so maybe we'll just eliminate that. Thanks for the help!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards